2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Kenai River in Alaska last week. Caught a 75 lb King Salmon 54 1/2 inch 31 girth, Wife caught a 65 lb King 52inch. Turned the big one loose and will get $800 for a mount as a result from the Kenai River Sportfishing Association who want the keep the big ones for the river to improve the gene pool. Guide was Monti Roberts with All Alaska Outdoors. Monti said thats the biggest he has seen this year. We got limits of Halibut two days at Deep Creek and limits of Silvers on the Kuskatan river across Cook inlet. Guide for the Kuskatan was Bill Davis with All Alaska Outdoors. 6 of us came home with 360 lbs of filets.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
So they are paying you to get a replica made? Now that is 2cool! A true win/win situation there.

Where's the pics of the big flounder?

Nice report.
Tim

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flounder/Halibut

Still have to down load my pictures. Our halibut were in the 20-30 lb range. No big ones. The smaller ones are the best eating. A 200 gm jig tipped with a strip of sardine was working a lot better than the 8 lb weight dropper rig.

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Pics

alw said:
Fished the Kenai River in Alaska last week. Caught a 75 lb King Salmon 54 1/2 inch 31 girth, Wife caught a 65 lb King 52inch. Turned the big one loose and will get $800 for a mount as a result from the Kenai River Sportfishing Association who want the keep the big ones for the river to improve the gene pool. Guide was Monti Roberts with All Alaska Outdoors. Monti said thats the biggest he has seen this year. We got limits of Halibut two days at Deep Creek and limits of Silvers on the Kuskatan river across Cook inlet. Guide for the Kuskatan was Bill Davis with All Alaska Outdoors. 6 of us came home with 360 lbs of filets.
If you can post up some pics that would be fantastic!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
alw,

Way to go. I have known Monte and fished with him on several occasions. He is the man on the Kenai and has caught more trophy Kings than anyone this past decade. My family and I got back from there a month ago but did not fair as well on the Kings. Only one 25 pounder that was released at 6:05. We did have several good trips on flyouts and in Homer. The main owner, Bob grew up with me in Seabrook and was one of my best friends at Clear Lake High School. After spending a week in Alaska, it sure makes you wonder why you live in the Houston area. Darryl

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
I have a guy that works here that was at the Kenai River last week. We smoked Sockeye Salmon yesterday for lunch. good stuff I tell ya!

Congrats on your catch!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Awesome... Story of the week..waiting on pics...Congrats!

·
Banned
47 Posts
His Name/number/websight

I am planning a trip right now and would like to contact the guide you fished with. If you have time pls provide. Tks in advance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I fished with Monty a couple of years back after talking with Darryl M at the boat show. Great guy. We didn't get our big one, but we did have a great time at Bob's cabins. How much did it cost to ship the 360 lbs of filets home?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We only took 1 bag and some only took carry ons on the plane to make room for the fish on the return. That way there was no charge since 2 bags can be checked. All 360 lbs. All Alaska vacuum packs and flash freezes your fish in 50 lb boxes when you return from the days fishin.

Website is <WWW.allalaska.com> They set up the trips and guides and have wonderful cabins.
1-800-646-HUNT.

I like Monti for Kenai river fishing, Bob Davis for flyouts to the KusKatan, and Mike and Frank for Halibut fishing out of Deep Creek. Frank has a brand new 35 ft boat.

Next year I want to do more flyouts to the mountains where no one is fishing. Bob Lidda does those. He is one of the owners of All Alaska.

All Alaska comes to the fishing shows in Houston.

This was my second time with them. The first time my wife and I brought home 200lbs fillets. Cost me a chunk of money on baggage.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Great story and pics ... that's a heck of a pair of kings! The boat launch sure brings back some memories. ;) Congrats!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Way to go Al! How would you like to stick those halibuts with a GIG? That would be to cool what a fight! That is one huge salmon so is he/she getting ready to swim upstream and die? They do look like they could do a whole lot of breeding at that size!! Did you catch any of halibuts on those River to Sea knife jigs? Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts