2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed offshore yesterday for a beautiful day of fishing with Sean and Scott. We originally headed out for sharks but our attention changed with the arrival of some other critters.

Click the link below for the report.
(By the way, this pic is real.. just a touch up)

http://extremecoast.com/reports.htm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a good pic..

Here is a good pic of an authentic Silky Shark.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
OZ,

As always your reports are a pleasure to read. Great website ... and thanks for posting links here.

I was re-reading your July 4th page. The very last picture shows a straightened out hook covered in tape. Is it fair to assume you are applying red electric tape to the hook? I think I read somewhere it helps stop the electric current.

Again, great web page ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Killer trip and report OZ....you guys are definitely maniac fishermen....I love it!

I don't think I've ever seen underwater pics of dolphin swimming under a boat like that....awesome!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Awesome

As always, Awesome report and pics. Will shark eat a Ramora? I wonder if the scent in the chum would confuse them since they are under a truce or co-beneficial living arrangement? Someone once told me they would not eat them. I have also heard some reef-fish will clean sharks of parasites and sharks wont eat them either. I am very skepticle about that, they will probably eat anything they can catch easily.

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
I heard that sharks don't eat fish with very bold colors and stripes like lion fish or remoras or something like that. Apparently they are drawn away from the visual sight.

They have some zebra stripe decals that go on the bottom of surf boards and kayaks to prevent sharks from being a little too friendly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
About the parasites...

I was actually watching a shark doc yesterday on the very subject. I forget the species, but the shark was not known for those waters. From footage filmed, they realized the sharks were coming to the reef from open ocean to be cleaned of parasites. the shark would slowly swim by the reef, then turn over on its side slightly. Butterfly fish would come out and clean the sharks skin. If he didnt want to be cleaned he swam by faster, no cleaning fish............

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree for the most part

In most cases Sharks won't bother messing with the remoras as a food source. Butterfly fish are a good example of how some of the reef fish have a mutual relationship with sharks. Sharks like Hammers will come to sea mounts in the ocean to get cleaned by the little guys.

However, I wouldn't be too dependent on the stripe theory. Sheephead for example are a PRIME winter time food source for sharks. Wahoo and Marlin when lit up have very vivd stripes.. yet get munched on often when hooked.

If a shark is hungry and in feeding mode, not much is safe. It my theory anyway.

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
Ah yes, sheephead do have stripes like that. ANd they make good bait. I guess I should have watched shark week and found out some more info.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**** skippy.. lol

Skipjack.. when will you be arriving to the beach? Frenzy and I should be down sometime Thurs night. I have a fresh Mahi fillet for you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey OZ, Sorry I Didn't get back to you...

Somehow coming off or during our trip down PINS I ended up loosing the paper with everyone's number on it.

Sounds like you all did great. Good pic's as usual.

I will catch up with ya soon.

LAter,
SR

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
OH SNAP! (Slurp!?) MAHI MAHI....mmmm

I'll be there around 1:00PM on Friday but, if Todd can't get off of work until 6:00PM I will wait up for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.