2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kim (ReelWoman) asked me to post this for her:

The 7th Annual Port O'Connor Offshore (and Inshore) Gathering will be once again be held at the Milne House (Stella Street & on the intracoastal) this year during the weekend of August 17, 18, 19 & 20. The Milne House being the "
Hospitality Center" (or for those that prefer - "THE NUT HUT"). This Gathering has been a BIG annual www.2coolfishing.com get together for the past 6 years. In keeping with tradition. this year marks the 7th year! Originally put together & hosted by GetWild (Eric) and his grandfather Ray for the benefit of those that wanted to fish the offshore areas of Port O'Connor, many of us quickly discovered, POC is not just a great place to fish offshore. The bay fishing is outstanding also! Thanks for all those great get togethers Eric & Ray, we miss the big trees and love you both! For reasons above, I have added "Inshore" to the "Offshore".

The itinerary will be much the same with possibly a few minor changes:

In keeping with tradition, the Map (Unmap) Party will be held at THE SPOT restaurant Friday evening at approximately 7:00PM till ???.

The "Gathering" Saturday will begin at the Milne House Saturday evening approximately 6:00PM until . . . . . . .

The Milne Gang, McGolfer (FEARED BY FISH) and his crew, I, EZED & Monty will be at the house from Thursday, Aug. 17, thru Sunday Aug. 20 and welcome everyone anytime!

For those bring boats and needing fishing buddies or for those not bringing boats and wanting to buddie with someone with a boat, please post up!

About the food this year:

In the past we have always brought food, fish etc. for the gathering. I have noticed that based on everyone seriously fishing on Saturday over the years that each year we came in later and the gathering began later. Last year, some of the fish for frying/food never made it and what did come in was eaten cold by those that came in late.

My suggestion (please post your preference), I will purchase rib-eyes steaks or prime ribs that can be placed on the grill once people return to the dock (or call me by cell phone that they are on their way in). Basically, I will not fish offshore Saturday, we will take a $10.00 to $12.00 collection per person. This eliminates hauling food, fish, fryers, cooking oil, etc. I won't mention names but "BadHabit" says he has a contact for good beef. Included in the price will be baked potato, salad, vegetables and trimmings. We can also consider buying fresh from the boat shrimp from Froggies that day for boiling. This eliminates a lot of responsibility for individuals and will not limit those that want to bring their favorite deserts, dips (ceveche), etc. I will handle all of this if that is what is decided. Otherwise we can always do as in the past and bring items. Please post your preference.

Events:

We have always steered away from turning this into any form of competition so that it would remain just a plain fun gathering. We'd like to keep the competion out of it but I do have an idea. A fishing pot. Basically sell cards for (?), all money goes in a pot and four or five winners are drawn each splitting the pot evenly. If there is a person that would like to volunteer for this effort, please let me know. If there is a group that does want to make wagers among themselves, no problem.

I also noted several individuals might be interested in donating items for door prize drawings. Do we still have those volunteers and is anyone interested in coordinating that effort? If so, please let me know.

Lodging:

We do still have openings at the Milne House. As the minimum rental is 3 nights, for those wanting to stay, the price is based on three nights and then prorated by the number of people who stay. Currently, the rate is about $110 per person for the 3 nights but does include docking for the full three nights at our dock which is about 200' from the back porch. The house sleeps up to 14.

As Rick usually comes down via "Blue Water Fishing" I always buy plenty of snacks and sandwich items for the group and on Saturday morning make breakfast tacos. As a group we share these costs. Please let me know if you are interested! We are also located near a cut in the intracoastal that leads to some great Kayaking areas!

Rentals: www.portoconnorrentals.com

Tarpon Motel: 361-983-2606

Canal RV Park: 361-083-2342

Froggies Bait & RV: 361-983-4466

Sea Isle RV Park: 361-983-0020

Hope to see everyone there! I am really looking forward to this one! Please post if you are planning to attend and food preferences, etc.

Also, for those wanting to fish with someone whether on their boat or on yours please post up.

Kim

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Robs and I are looking at making the trip up. If we do.. we will bring a couple of nice door prizes.....
Can anyone reccomend a good inshore guide?? (Please pm me.)
One or both our Sons may get to make this one...Thanks in advance

We will find a dog sitter!! lol.....

Any thoughts on either of the 2 RV parks listed above?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
when you offer up a ride I would make sure to specify offshore or inshore and what kinda boat. I guarantee you dont want two of me showing up and you only having a 17' skiff, I am big and would really mess up your trim. :) two of me, shoot

·
Registered
202 Posts
Any room at Milne?

I'm coming. If there's room, put me down for 2 spots at the Milne House. If not, I'll make other arrangements. I'm good with the ribeyes too.

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
I am going to back out of the Milne house deal and bring my RV down instead. If things go to plan, I will be in Seadrift for the whole month of August and maybe September too.
I will catch up with y'all at the gathering.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gimmedeal,

Yes, we have 6 spots left. Give me a call and I will fill you in on the details. Work: 281-249-3555 or Cell: 832-630-3130. You can always PM also but I don't get much time to check the PM's when at work.

Kenny, we're pretty partial to the Milne House also. It makes for a great place for the Gathering. Look forward to seeing you (as well as everyone).

Monty, we'll miss ya.

We're still pondering the food situation . . . come on guys, think foooooood, I know you can! LOL!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well,

Darrell mentioned wanting to come to the gathering but right now I think he might be thinking more in the line of Mosquito Fest . . .

I'll see if he and Rosie are still thinking about coming. If so, maybe we can convince him to help with the cooking?????

Keep posting guys, it look like steaks are winning.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts