2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone suggest a little info, i have a 7mm-08 and at about 50 yards its dead bulls eye, and then when i move out to about 100 yards the bullet is not near as accurate. its sometimes 3 inches off from the last shot. im shooting remington accu-tip rounds, and wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
have a good clean bore
site rifle off bags with the forestock not the barrel
is this a quality scope that is holding zero ? are you making zoom changes ? try leaving it at the same setting for 50 and 100

not a fan of remy ammo

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,488 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with mine, rem corelokt wasnt grouping all that tight, went to the rem accutips and it got a bit better. Eventually put a better scope and that fixed the problem. Shoots fine with the accutips now. I feel accuracy could be better, but dont feel like spending 30-40 bucks for a box of 20 rounds each from different manufacturers just to tighten it up beyond where it is. I really wish ammo makers would package in 5 or 10 round "sighter" boxes!

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
remington only tries to spec for a 2" group at 100, depending on cal. and range , that can be close enough and usually is, but light cal/long range..........diff. story.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Kenner 27,

Need some additional info. When you say it is "dead on" at 50 yards, does that mean it hits the bulls eye at that range, or that you get good tight groups at 50 yards.

Then when you say, "at 100 yards it's sometimes 3" off from the last shot." Do you mean it's 3" off from the last shot you made at 100 yards, or 3" off from your shots at 50 yards??

If it's 3" off from your last shot at 50 yards, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If it's only "grouping" 3" at 100 yards, that's not great. But as has been said in here before, that could just be your ammo.The REm 700 mtn rifle is a fantastic gun.

Follow all of coastal's suggestions, and change to another bullet, and see if that helps. It should. Also how long are you waiting between shots?

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
774 Posts
50 yards can be misleading for both accuracy and sight settings.

Most high velocity rifle rounds will be up around 1-2 inches at 100 from a 50 yard zero. I start at 25 but only for rough sighting as it takes 16 clicks to move an inch at 25.

Post a group after a complete cleaning and diagnostic check of the rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts