2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 1989 evinrude 70 hp. I was told that the ignition switch would stick on and to turn it back off after starting the motor. Even when I would turn the key off and the motor wouldnt start, it would make an screaching sound after I would kill the switch....I think it was just still turning over. Well, I have only taken it out a few times, and the last time I cranked it at the house just before going to the jetties. It cranked fine the first time. So I get to the ramp and go to crank it and nothing. Just a "beep." The motor would not turn over at all. When I turn the key I can hear something clicking under the cowling. I am thinking the starter has gone out...is it possible a more simple solution? Thanks for any help.

Travis

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
The starter solenoid is also a common failure item, the contacts arc and wear out. It is also a lot cheaper than a starter, so start there. Jump the big terminals on the solenoid with something like a screwdriver and see if it cranks. If it does, you know your battery, cables, and starter are good, replace the solenoid. If you jump the solenoid and it still just clicks, start with the batter cables and the clamps on the batter and start working your way towards the motor. If the cables run through the bilge, and the insulation was knicked or cracked, you may have copper oxide dust inside the cables instead of copper wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts