2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Will on his first offshore trip as a reward for passing all three sections of the TAKS (yes, it has been a little deferred gratification). Except for some impatience on the ride out and back, he came through solid.

I was under the impression that we were supposed to use circle hooks in federal waters, so that is what we did. We finished the day with snaps and spades; could have done better if I had swapped hooks, but it was a good trade because I missed out on them swallowing little hooks clear to their ******es. I used my senator 113 with a new SS 4:1 gearset--that is a good aftermarket gadget. Very solid.

We took it a little easy. One guy did boat a big wahoo.

Pic 1: Will staying busy on the way out.
Pic 2: This wequiwes totaw consentwation. Note the vintage TruTempr rod!
Pic 3: Good snap.
Pick 4: The stringer at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's funny, I took my 11 yr old son out on his first trip yesterday. It was a very late start and a short trip. It was mainly a shake down trip for the boat. We are running from Clear Lake to Grand Isle in the morning.

But I think I ruined him. His first trip was on a new Bertram with all the bells and whistles, including satellite TV and the seas were less than a foot. Good news is he caught 4 very nice smacks in a very short time and had the time of his life. If I knew where to host some pictures I would put them up, but I have to go to bed.

Good for ya takin them kids...that's what we should all do as much as possible.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Cool report. The Capt John is a great boat with a great Capt. If you ever get used to the circle hooks you will love them. It just takes a lot to get used to them.

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We use circles all the time on the beach and I'm fully sold on them. The problem yesterday was with those small-mouthed fish picking us to death. Also (and I haven't read this or considered it yet), the fish that picks up a circle on a crowded party boat may very well loop around a line or two before the angler starts pulling him up.

Have any of you tried smaller circles (like for channel cats) offshore for triggers, etc? I'm thinking that one of those with a fishbite might work... of course the smaller hooks may very well get swallowed by undersized snaps.

Wish they'd do "first 5 fish" and be done with it.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
1/0 Daiichi circles on a double drop will tear up the B-liners...

Reactions: word-doctor

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I use circles 100% now. 7/0 mustad 39950bl for most, and yes, I use the same in the 3/0 for beeliners (and tiger snapper). :) Its a little bitty circle hook and I fish 2 on a double dropper baited with squid. My boy does same in the upper water column for the spadefish.

word-doctor said:
We use circles all the time on the beach and I'm fully sold on them. The problem yesterday was with those small-mouthed fish picking us to death. Also (and I haven't read this or considered it yet), the fish that picks up a circle on a crowded party boat may very well loop around a line or two before the angler starts pulling him up.

Have any of you tried smaller circles (like for channel cats) offshore for triggers, etc? I'm thinking that one of those with a fishbite might work... of course the smaller hooks may very well get swallowed by undersized snaps.

Wish they'd do "first 5 fish" and be done with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts