2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing has been steady with good trout action very early and late. The majority of our wades have been in waist deep water over grass and mud. Deep shell is giving up trout to 20-inches. Saltwater levels are on the rise. Best color lures have been Norton Mardi Gras bull minnows or plum chartreuse sand eel jr. rigged with a single (small) glass rattle. Red fish have been playing hide and seek with an occasional red being fooled by a top water plug.

Attachments

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
Capt. Chris,

In the second picture you showed some lures that I have a question on. I am fairly new to topwater in the bays and have started a collection that is quite addictive and bought two plugs last winter that I want to say were top dogs in the chartreuse/bone and chartreuse/silver/chartreuse. The only problem I see is that these two baits have a rattle in them and I noticed that early spring these baits did not produce and I was told it was because of the rattle. I have been hesitant to throw them again for the fear of getting skunked on them. Any opinion or advice on this?? Thanks in advance!

-Brian

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
If I may.........

I find the rattling lures draw fish to strike. I have caught lots of fish on the various Mirrolure topwater lures. Several yesterday!

·
Registered
58 Posts
bbridges

Go try them in the surf, morning or evening. If it is cloudy then use the top water all day long. You should have good luck. I use she dogs allot and it has a very loud rattle. The trout and redfish love thoose rattleing bait.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
there may be....

very few instances when a rattle would be a benefit, but a hinderance. I've found that in early spring, or early fall, downsizing helps alot.(keep the rattle) In less than ideal water conditions, the rattle will help a game fish key in on your lure. Same thing with the larger size lures.

The only time I wouldn't use a topwater with a rattle, would be ultra shallow water, around skittish fish, and then too, I will downsize the plug.

Still it's all a confidence thing. Throw what works for you. If you're catching fish on plugs without rattles, then don't sweat it. You're doing as good if not better than alot of folks, if you're catching.

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
I appreciate the quick replies. I was planning on hitting the bay this weekend, but with a west wind I may just head over to Conroe and catch a limit of cats. I'll play it by ear until the morning. Thanks guys!

-Brian

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try This

bbridges,

Try this next time you pack your wading box before a trip. I promise you will not be let down. This rig is excellent for short striking trout or what we top water junkies call missed blow up's. Furthermore floating grass on the trailing hook will be less of a problem. Just the other day, I had a trout explode this lure (one in the photo), about 12 inches above the water. Soon as the lure settled back down, she hit the back circle hook. Rig the circle hook with hook facing up.

Good luck and plenty of explosions on your next trip.

You will need to add another split ring, #4 red circle hook.

Chris

Attachments

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
i saw that tip about the offset worm hook on "hank parkers outdoor magazine" he was catching reds out of venice lousiana. never tried it though. if 2 pros use it heck, i will too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts