2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ross and I went to Rockport Sunday afternoon and met a friend who has a place there. We started our trip with wade fishing Aransas and Corpus Bay Sunday and Monday. We all caught several nice trout at Turtle Pass Sunday evening and Monday morning. We decided to try to find some willing redfish after finding some uncooperative reds on the flats in Aransas (their heads were in the mud). We made the run to Corpus Bay and found large sharks cruising the flats instead. One bull shark swam within 8 feet of my friend. All in all we saw at least 4 sharks in 2 hours in water 2 to 3 feet deep. As I said these were big guys too. If I wasn’t fishing the floaters the next day I would have come back with larger tackle and caught them Florida Keys style. I am not a shark fisherman, but catching large sharks on the flats would have been fun. By the way, I was able to run my tunnel in around nine inches of water. Better than I expected.

On to the floater trip, we boarded at 6am and ran 15 hours. Slow boat to China. There were 13 passengers, 6 of who had never been offshore. Nobody else had the foggiest idea what they were doing except for Ross and I. I will get to that later. Half way to the floaters we got spooled on a 12/0 by something in 30 seconds. Probably a big marlin, but the reel was smoking. We arrived at Boomvang at 9pm and were greeted by a 150lb silky shark. It was quickly caught and we started to see a few busting tuna. We caught several BFT and after two hours we went to Nansen. We started catching BFT again and I started chunking to see if we could bring some YFT up. The BFTs went nuts and we finally started to see some YFT. I caught a 52lber and several others were caught also. I also saw a dorado while soaking a chunk and it turned into a mess with people casting over each other (see what I meant earlier). Finally it was hooked and landed. I would guess it was around 18lbs. The sun came up and we started to troll. Two wahoo caught and went to sleep. I woke up around 1:30 and trolled myself. Nothing.

Finally, the sun fell and I was ready for action thinking since they didn’t feed well the night before that they would be going off tonight. Same thing, not much going on at Nansen. Just BFTs. At 1:30 we ran to Boomvang (30 minutes). It was jumping there. I was casting a yummy flyer and had 3 explosions with shorts runs. I should have rigged a stinger. One deckhand managed to hook 4 YFT on a yummy and handed them off. One landed. (see again) I went to live bait and caught 3 BFTs. I pulled the hook on a nice fish after five minutes on 50lb. Ross hooked 3 YFT and lost two because of excited passengers (notice I didn’t say fisherman) casted diamond jigs over his line. He pulled the hook on another one. We had to leave at 3 to get back in time and I was nearly crying. YFTs were cruising everywhere.

All in all, I was glad to be fishing despite the poor to fair fishing. I wish the boat could have been faster so went could have fished two full nights. I won’t book another trip without it being full of experienced fisherman again. I wish I could get the 15th of November off. If anyone needs an extra crew member I believe I have the last two weekends of August open. That 15 hour ride was brutal. It was fun to see two kids on board catching tuna. I handed off 3 fish to them so they could get in on the action. Ross did the same thing. Really, this was the highlight of the trip, other than landing the biggest fish. 52lbs was the biggest one.

On a side note. There were 3 YFTs and one BFT caught with tags. I caught the tagged BFT. It was tagged 31 days earlier. There was also a group at Boomvang fishing in contender. I bet they slayed them after we left. Anyone know who it was?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
nice report. buy a boat and you won't have to deal with the tourists. your newest most frequent place to visit will be the marine dealer. join us on some of our allcoast charters or jump on board when we do a group trip on the port a boats...rick

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am working on the boat situation now. It will be a few years before I can afford or justify buying an offshore rig capable of running that far out. I couldn't use it enough right now because of work, grad school and family. I didn't think there would be many inexperienced fisherman on a 60 hr trip. I am headed to San Diego next week. I know that will be much better. I would be on the November Allcoast trip if it was during the week. Eventually I will be able to get on one that is scheduled at a convenient for me. I am anxious to fish with some of you guys though. One of the deckhands commented on the Allcoast 2000 trip. They especially remembered TJ. Thanks

Pope

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.