2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, his name is Adams.
He said that there's no research that he has found that studied amount of a gar's diet. Although, he said they are scavengers and predators, and will literally eat anything. Fish, birds, crawfish, and there has even been one documented case of a small diesel engine part found in gar stomach! :)
So... I'm thinking that the Gar Rodeo was done in an effort to remove the gar from Arkansas water, by local consent...

By the way... I don't oppose shooting them! Y'all have fun!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I dont kill anything just to kill. I understand if pesting of a creature needs to be done like hogs and such but it doesnt have to be waisted. There are many people who struggle to buy food or worse. My dad used to shoot a truckload of carp and gar back in the day then drive to east side of town where people would come running to take all of the fish. I enjoy bowfishing but I will not dump it back in the water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Falcon Lake has huge numbers of giant gar. We watched 2 commercial gar fishermen with 6 gar caught on jug lines. The gar weighted about 60 pounds each. The limit has been raised to 5 per person due to the fact that they are destroying the bass. Go kill some there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Commercial limit cut to one

Best thing that happened to the gar population for you guys who are concerned about there numbers was cutting the commercial limit to one per day. The commercial guys were killing truck loads of them. Way to go parks and wildlife!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Freshwater pork chop

2 ft no bigger
Hull it, do not get water on it
Wipe it with a towel.
Cut it into steaks
Salt, pepper, and flour it throw it in the grease and fry just as you would a pork chop.
You will throw rocks at other fish.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts