2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put the boat in right at dark and went looking for some flounder and reds. Fishing was slow and tide quit moving completely. Decided to head to our local night time gar hole. As soon as we pulled up we knew it was gonna be good. We saw multiple shooter fish now we were just waiting for one to screw up and role in front of us. After about 5 minutes a decent 4 footer rolled about 12yds from the boat. One of the farthest shots I've ever seen. We started trolling again headed for a spot we had just seen a big one role and sure enough she surfaced again.

Attachments

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
im not into bowfishing(in fact i think it should be illegal but thats just me) if you shoot, kill and eat what your targeting i can respect that..their are people "releasing" gar they have shot with arrows which is amazingly unethical and i cant believe that the guides that do it can keep a business going that way(Mark Malfa)..

the gar for the colorado is neat i have been looking to target them closer to austin(have been going to the trinity)..was going to try near smithville on the colorado just a bit upstream from where you got that one..also have a spot just 15 miles below austin i know i can get a 100 pound gar at..also been meaning to try the brazos as well as the san gabriel for them..
Guys post a heck of a fish no matter how it was taken and you are gonna **** on it? Maybe going kayak fishing offshore should be illegal since you might break a lure off and kill the fish since thats what you like to do. Sheesh, what has 2cool become.

Nice gar yall no matter if yall ate it, or used it for fertilizer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
nice shot

helluva shot, how long to pull her in? ive tried RR but have had a hard time hooking up. gonna try the bow next time. disregard nay sayers its legal and your having fun. alligator gar are not on the endangered list. get sum!

·
Registered
17 Posts
IMO gar should be protected the same way Jewfish are, catch and release and not allowed to remove from the water, like i said that is just me..the gars natural range is too small and they grow too slow to be targeted the way they are..if we had arapaima in our waters(and were the only place in the world that had them) i guarantee people would not be shooting them with a bow, and people would definitely not be "releasing" them after shooting them multiple times with a bow for fun..smh

as for mark malfa "releasing" gar that have been shot with a bow, actually it is illegal and so is killing a fish you dont eat..
you may want to reread my post before you try to jump on me
and either way i dont care, i will be doing what i can to get alligator gar protected from bowhunting in Tx during my lifetime
you call it good family fun i call it genocide on one of the neatest and oldest fish in our waters.
and guess what i want my kids kids to be able to catch them, this is why i release 99% of the fish i catch no matter where i fish and will do what i can for conservation period
i shot it, it was a monster i saw 3 or 4 more that size or better in one area, i know not everyone sees them but you just have to know how to find them and catch/shoot them. i don't shoot everyone i see, i think they are awesome but they taste like SH!t and we all know that. you go sit in the trinity and catch yours and i will keep bowfishing. no hard feelings.

·
Not All Who Wander Are Lost..
1,802 Posts
i hear yah man i really wasnt trying to get on you or the OP, my fight is more against the guys like the gar guide who told me they shot 11 of them that day near palastine..unethical and illigal..eat what you kill and all that..

gonna try the colorado close to austin today or tomorrow for em, got a nice deep hole i have been seeing a few at..

·
Just plain old bowfisherman
669 Posts
You can't imagine the consequences of allowing them to be protected for 20 years. That means from trotliners, R&R, bowfising and commercial. The damage they will inflict on true sport fish numbers would be very unfortunate.

·
1,802 Posts
You can't imagine the consequences of allowing them to be protected for 20 years. That means from trotliners, R&R, bowfising and commercial. The damage they will inflict on true sport fish numbers would be very unfortunate.
keep telling yourself that...why would you take part in the eradication of a native species that has called these rivers and lakes home for far longer than man.

·
669 Posts
No one is eradicating anything. There are a lot of alligator gar in Texas nd they are steadily getting bigger and bigger every year. More and more every year.

·
1,802 Posts
killing a fish species that lives to be over 100 years old is not sustainable. even the small ones can be older than you, most male gar never get over 50 pounds with a few making it over 100 pounds.

they are no different than arapaima in south america. im 100% for protection of this species. eating what you kill is one thing, but i see allot of people feeding vultures and "releasing" gar they shot with arrows.

·
1,802 Posts
how am i off base? gar dont live to be over 100 years old? the males done barely get over 50 pounds?
as for people releasing them with arrows in them, i have had several gar guides brag about shooting 11 gar or more in a day. i dont need to look at research to know thats illegal. the research that was done by kirk for TPWD tagging 3000 gar showed they needed to be protected

·
669 Posts
By Kirk? The ex commercial fisherman? The man who's family has killed more alligator
gar than anyone every will again? Jeez.

Yes, gar can live to be over 100yr but what does that mean? Most 5-6 feet gar or less than 15 yrs old, some under 10yrs. Their age to length/weight is sporadic at best. Males can and do get over 50 lbs regularly. As far as shooting and releasing, that is a TPWD rule that was only just recently put into play, the year after the one per day rule. So yeah, I'm sure you have heard people bragging. But I'm also sure there are at least as many alligator gar killed by trotliners and catfishermen as bowfishermen. Definately more are left to rot from others than by bowfishermen.

·
1,802 Posts
so what if kirk fished these fish commercially for many years. now he protects the species and has championed them like no one else has, i give him full credit for the current state of protection these fish are in..
sometimes you have to do allot of wrong before you realize what you were doing needed to change. kirk is good in my book. its the pos bowfisherman killing for the fun of it(and releasing "shot" gar) i have a problem with, that and the people not observing the limit set by TPWD.

you are way off about the age of these fish there is no way a 15 year old fish is over 6 foot. keep making up what you want to justify what your doing.

·
669 Posts
Oh, so you don't trust the biologists studies?

And by the way, I too dislike poachers, by I don't label them as bowfishermen.
A person breaking the game laws is a poacher, period. But bowfishing is a legal
sport. Do you call someone spotlighting deer a deer hunter? Do you call a gill netter
a fisherman?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts