2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a topwater rod on an extra fast action St. Croix blank. I have the guides spaced to keep the line off the blank while flexed and it just doesn't look right. they measure out at 2", 5", 8 1/2", 12", 17", 27", 42" from the tip. The front of the reel seat is 70" from the tip.That optical kicker is that the space between the reel seat and the stripper guide seems long and it just looks like another guide is needed, but the line is off the rod just barely. I am using the Fuji titanium guides (rod jewelry) and another 12 or 16 guide would be $26.I want the rod to be minimal and light but I don't want it to look cheap. What do you rod builders better than me think of this? Do more guides cast better or will this do. I haven't cast it yet. 7 guides on a 6'8" rod hypothetically should work but it just doesn't look too right. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My topwater rod is also a St. Croix extra fast rod that I built a few years ago. I did a spiral wrap on mine and wound up using 9 guides plus the tip. My stripper guide size 12 is 52 inches from the tip. The rear grip is 9 inches long. I spiral wrapped mine the old way.
Here are the measurements from the tip: 4 1/4, 9. 14, 20, 27, 35, 41, 47, and 52 inches. I went size 12, 10, 8, and the rest 7's. The 10 and 8 guides start the spiral and the 7's are all lined on the under side of the blank. If I were to wrap that rod again go 12 top, 10 under side with a size 7 at 90 degrees in between the 12 and 10, a size 8 then 7's to the tip.

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
1,180 Posts
Phil

firephil said:
I'm building a topwater rod on an extra fast action St. Croix blank. I have the guides spaced to keep the line off the blank while flexed and it just doesn't look right. they measure out at 2", 5", 8 1/2", 12", 17", 27", 42" from the tip. The front of the reel seat is 70" from the tip.That optical kicker is that the space between the reel seat and the stripper guide seems long and it just looks like another guide is needed, but the line is off the rod just barely. I am using the Fuji titanium guides (rod jewelry) and another 12 or 16 guide would be $26.I want the rod to be minimal and light but I don't want it to look cheap. What do you rod builders better than me think of this? Do more guides cast better or will this do. I haven't cast it yet. 7 guides on a 6'8" rod hypothetically should work but it just doesn't look too right. Thanks for the help.
I would go with the Croix spacing as a starting point, then go from there and test it with your reel....I would go with a 12, 10 then use all 7's(i can't see more than 6 needed).....Don't spiral it, test your spacing and adjust....

Once your done shift the ten to the right or left 90 degrees (depending on if your rt or left handed), then shift the rest of the 7's 180 degrees....That is the simple spiral...I do it on some, not on others... Test cast that....Try to stick with 3 guide sizes....

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My wife was calling me to dinner and I didn't get to tell you one other thing. Put that rod in a bend about 45 degrees. Run your fishing line through the quides and see how it looks. If you already bought a size 16 guide you can go 24 inches from the reel, the tip guide four inches from the tip, adjust the other guides in between. If you have any questions send me a pm. I will be glad to help you.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
You're apparently doing a conventional on-top setup, right? When I do the static testing, I tie a small washer to the line from the reel, just to keep some tension on it. I tie a separate line to the tiptop and use that to vary the area of rod flex, starting w/ the tipmost third. As GetEmGot said, you could start w/ St Croix's recommendations for guide placement...I've never seen the first guide from tip be just 2" from it, more like 4-4 1/2". If you haven't yet read the tutorial on rodbuilding.org, I'd suggest it. Those titaniums are too dang expensive to use more than necessary! Keep us posted on your progress, we're all here to share info. Jerry

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am also considering building on this blank although I have not handled one. Can anyone enlighten me on how well it works out for a dedicated top water rod or if you have other suggestions.

Thanks

Charlie Roberts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi Charlie,
That rod was originally designed as a jerk bait rod for walleye tournament fishermen who wanted an extra fast tip on their rods. The blank is stiff except about a foot of the tip section. This blank will cast a topwater lure very well and a long distance. Again, it has a powerful butt section. It will make a good topwater rod but I don't like it for throwing soft plastic lures or spoons. It is a little too stiff for me. I have seveal rods and this one is my favorite topwater rod. The fast tip makes it easy to "walk the dog." I also have a few old Cotton Cordel jerk baits that I love to fish with this rod in salt and fresh water. If you are ever in my area of town you are certainly welcomed to stop by and try my rod at a nearby pond.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the information. I will include this blank in my next round of building, I have several inshore blanks I have been holding but have been tied up with some heavy tuna spinning rods that I needed to complete for a tuna trip on Aug 15. If you haven't tried the Thread Master Lite, you might find it interesting. I have been following this forum for some period of time, I enjoy reading the posts and the pictures are great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts