2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh to be in Texas and win the STAR. We wish. We went to CABO and just got back. Fished Wed. and Thur., 15 ft swells, rain, wind, and my girl was not happy. This was not the fun I told her it was catching stripers. Convincing her to fish Friday was not easy......

The first hour 5 miles offshore, a BEAST of a mahi hits the starboard outrigged lure. It leaps in the air and puts on the most awesome display. 20 minutes later Cheryl gets her biggest fish of her life (so far...read on...), a 65 lb bull dorado! Her face fighting it tells all. We were ecstatic!

The next 5 hours go by with no action, but we do not care. As were giving it the last hour and 12 miles off, BAM, goes the port outigger. After a moment of silence with the fish off, there it goes again! A monsterous fish jumps and it is no striper. A beautiful BLUE is running and putting on the second show of the day for us. My girl has not caught a marlin, so back she was in the seat, much to the anguish of the captain, who wanted this fish in BAD! He did not think she could do it. She was more than up to it, and after a second ariel show midway 45 minutes later we get the blue in! The captain without question wanted to keep the fish (we later find out the meat is worth around 18.00 a lb to him and crew, so don't hate on us....). Back at the dock we learned it was the first blue caught in Cabo this year, and it weighed in at 250 lbs. and 10 feet long. The dorado was 65 inches and 65 lbs. What a blast coming in and partying with everyone. We are mounting both, so our 2 bedroom apartment will be quite full.

Last year, her second ever to hunt OR fish, she shot a 10 point buck, which also is hanging up. I have not caught a blue, my biggest mahi is 25 lbs, and my biggest buck is a 8 pt. It must be horrible to be good at everything she tries I tell her.

Go get your fish on in Cabo! The Edith V will do you right!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Congrats to your wife on her mission to out-do you in everything. (So far)
Thanks for a great report and pictures.
I haven't gotten my 1st Marlin yet, so hopefully I'll make it to Cabo one day to smile like she was.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That is a great storyline that parallels the pictures....the look on her face in the first pic makes it looks like either "we catch some fish or you get your arse kicked!" ... lol.
Great story and wonderful pics!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Did you read his post... he said the capt. insisted on keeping it. And I'm sure it was for $$$... they get a couple bucks/lb for them.

MM Deckhand said:
i'll start - nice chick - quit killing marlin unless YOU get the $$$

·
Registered
405 Posts
Congrats and great report Hydrocat! I was in Cabo last week and caught a few as well. Those seas in that 1 pic look pretty nasty. That Mahi is a beast!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Nice dorado. My personal best in a little over 57 pounds. I love the big ones. It is amazing how fat they get and how tall their head is.

I also enjoy the looks on people's faces when they are fighting a fish and then the big smiles after the fish is on the gaff.

Good Job.

·
Big Shot Spicy Man
221 Posts
Originally Posted by MM Deckhand
i'll start - quit killing marlin unless YOU get the $$$

hawgs said:
I agree. No point.
the point is---learn to read, then learn to think---either do both or for my money you can keep your pie hole shut....I was enjoying a great thread, until I came across your two "contributions"...

many thanks

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Oh mahi mahi!! What a catch! Fish of a lifetime. Nice blue, too.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Thanks fore sharing Hydrocat. Those pictures are awesome. They really tell the story LOL. You guys must have been there the same time as LILSTUDD?

·
88 Ag
6,223 Posts
jferrell1211 said:
Originally Posted by MM Deckhand
i'll start - quit killing marlin unless YOU get the $$$

the point is---learn to read, then learn to think---either do both or for my money you can keep your pie hole shut....I was enjoying a great thread, until I came across your two "contributions"...

many thanks
The captain without question wanted to keep the fish (we later find out the meat is worth around 18.00 a lb to him and crew, so don't hate on us....).

I would agree with you on this, Hydrocat even said it wasn't their decision to keep it so if you two want to complain call the charter captain in Cabo and complain to him. Hydrocat, congrats on getting your girl Cheryl her 2 biggest fish to date!! Great report and pics.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts