2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want an AR type rifle for hogs and deer but I want more knock down power that the 223 and less recoil/muzzle jump than the 308 for quick following shots at running hogs. I'm thinking the 6.8 mm may be the ticket. Anyone have experience with this round?

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I am not familiar with the round but the 308 in my opinion has very little recoil in an auto, and muzzle rise is minimal. Its not like a recoil piston AK47 in the 7.62. Shoot one before you make up your mind. I bet 6.8 ammo is pretty hard to come by in bulk deals.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
If you ask my kids, the 6.8 has no more noticeable recoil than the 5.56. Look here for lots of info.

.308 does not fit in an AR-15 platform but will go in a DPMS or AR10, larger and heavier platform.

·
Registered
289 Posts
6.8 ammo was tight for a while but seems to be much more available now. I picked up 4 boxes of Hornady 110gr BTSP for $23 each at the gun show at Brown convention center this weekend, there were multiple vendors with supply. Bulk 6.8 ranged from $205-$219 for 200 rounds. I also ordered 5 boxes of 85gr Barnes TSX for $27/box from Silver State Armory online, they always have 6.8 in inventory.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 6.8 and it is great. The recoil is minimal recoil, and it does a number on pigs... The mag capacity is about 26 rds in a 30 rd mag. follow up shots are very easy to do and is really fun to shoot. Another thing you might want to think about is ammo. It is about a dollar up to a dollar and 30 a shot for good re-loadable brass cased hornady stuff.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Ive heard alot of good stuff about the 6.8 Creedmore. Theres a good article about the Hornady 6.8 in American Rifleman magazine this month.

·
Just call me JJ
7,579 Posts
I want an AR type rifle for hogs and deer but I want more knock down power that the 223 and less recoil/muzzle jump than the 308 for quick following shots at running hogs. I'm thinking the 6.8 mm may be the ticket. Anyone have experience with this round?
The 6.8 is around the same diameter as a .270 to give you an idea of size. It's a good round for deer and hogs IMO, though the 308 would be also. The good thing about a 6.8 is you can just buy an upper and swap it on to your existing 5.56 lower assembly. Two pins and you switch between 5.56 and 6.8 spc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We put a 6.8 Rem spc barrel on my son's TC rifle and have been very happy with it. He's taken quite a few deer & hogs, a pronghorn and an aoudad with it, all one shot kills with good penetration. We went to the caliber looking for something with minimal recoil, my daughter is now using the rifle and took her first deer this year with it. The round is a tack driver in the contender, only downside has been that on occasion ammo that we like can be hard to find locally, we usually mail order what we need.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
I've been shooting a 6.5 in the AR platform. Its very close to the 6.8.

Recoil is relatively mild. As in, no problem putting 200 rounds down the pipe in a single day.

Both rounds carry significantly more energy than the .223/5.56.

But, both rounds are ideal for reloaders, and perhaps a bit less desirable for non-reloaders. Ammo is not always on the shelf, available anywhere. Even mail order has been tight at times for the real good stuff.

As an aside, Hornady is now entering the 6.5 ammo market in a big way.

Also check out the 6mm PPC, 6mm WOA, and 6 mm AR, if you are willing to reload.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I know this is not what you ask, but in a AR platform you can get an upper chambered in 7.62X39 and get the knock down of the 30 caliber bullets...ammo is easy to came by. I use the by-metal hollow points and between the wife and I have killed at least 10 hogs and three deer...all one shot kills.

The wound channels are about the same as a 243...

The only issue I have found is find decent mags...the Colt 7.62X39 mags work great and the 30 round C Products does too....just can't hunt game with it...I bought some 10 round mags that won't feed worth a k-rap...but I don't recall what who made them...I gave them away...

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
The only issue I have found is find decent mags...the Colt 7.62X39 mags work great and the 30 round C Products does too....just can't hunt game with it...I bought some 10 round mags that won't feed worth a k-rap...but I don't recall what who made them...I gave them away...
Why not? I thought they changed the law?

From TPWD:
Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).
I picked up a smaller mag for the 6.8, mostly for convenience. You do have to be careful which mags you pick up as not all 6.8 mags feed equally well, or so I have heard.

When in doubt, call TPWD and ask them of course.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
This is my next purchase. I want a 6.8 upper for my stag. Everything I read about this caliber I like. I can't remember which magazine, but several months ago they did an in depth article on various sniper rounds: starting with .223 going to 6.8, 7mm08, 308, 300 winmag, 338 lapua, 416's, and 50's. The comments they had about the ballistic coefficients and performance of the 6.8 bullets were very impressive- equal to or greater than the 308 actually in some cases.

Seems like a perfect "in between" caliber.

THE "GOT THE ITCH TO BUY SOMETHING NEW" JAMMER

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
For a high stepper like you Jammer, get the 6.5. You can use the same bullets (on the light end) as your other .264's, and it will give that watch of yours a work out.

And, its the 6.5 with the superior long range performance, exceeding even the .308 at times. The 6.5 is the ultimate intermediate AR round.

7.62 x 39 is basically 75% of the energy (existing the barrel) of a .243 shooting 100 grain SP's (in the .243).

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Why not? I thought they changed the law?

From TPWD:
Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).
When in doubt, call TPWD and ask them of course.
I wasn't to worried TPWD, it's the arm chair wardens at the leases that I am most worried about.

7.62 x 39 is basically 75% of the energy (existing the barrel) of a .243 shooting 100 grain SP's (in the .243).
Yeah...the 7.62X39 is not "in class" with any of the above calibers, but ammo is cheap and plentiful. It continues to surprise me in the field. The longest tracking job so far has barely been worth mentioning.

I seen some velocities listed on some of the 7.62X39 ammo and none so far has reached 2400fps, so yeah, it's bit slow to say the least, but it's working in hunting conditions.

I would shoot a deer or hog in the shoulder with it in second, done it already, before I'd even think about it with the standard 5.56...especially shoulder shot hogs...

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
What's this high stepper stuff????

I have actually run some of the 6.5 numbers through the watch, and my new 99 cent program I put on my I phone, and the numbers are very impressive. Will let you know if I get it. I'm going through this economy like everyone else- not a lot of extra money for more guns.

THE JAMMER

For a high stepper like you Jammer, get the 6.5. You can use the same bullets (on the light end) as your other .264's, and it will give that watch of yours a work out.

And, its the 6.5 with the superior long range performance, exceeding even the .308 at times. The 6.5 is the ultimate intermediate AR round.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Its a generally nice term meaning a person who appreciates the difference between adequate and excellence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts