2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kids, Surf, Fish, Golf.....
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Arrived at the State Park around 1:30pm.. wanted to use my new trolling motor on my yak and hunt some redfish. When I pulled up to the park gate to pay my entrance fee, the lady warned me about a No Swim Advisory. The gate attendant provided me with the following advisory prior to paying.

NOTICE

TODAY 6/8/06, A NO SWIMMING ADVISORY was issued by the TexasBeach watch for GalvestonIslandState Park.

When an area of beach shows elevated levels of bacteria a no swimming advisory is posted. When an advisory is posted the beach is NOT closed. An advisory is simply issued to inform the public of elevated bacteria level so each person can make an informed choice to swim or not to swim in those waters affected. Once elevated bacteria levels are detected a water sample is taken daily Monday - Friday until the tests return to normal. At which time the advisory will be lifted.

Further questions may be directed to the Park Headquarters at 409-737-1222, the Galveston County Health District at www.ghcd.org or 409-938-2251 or the Texas Beach Watch at http://www.glo.state.tx.us/coastal/beachwatch/

Now for the fishing report.. 3 undersized reds.. to 19" all caught on 3" new penny Gulp Shrimp. Tried to use the same color gulp crab, but kept having issues with weeds.

Paul

·
Kids, Surf, Fish, Golf.....
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
300X said:
is it that same bacteria the killed the dentist last summer?

if so, thats some serious stuff...wow...
I think his was Vibro...and this from the testing people.
Due to some recent news stories about Vibrio vulnificus along the Texas Coast, this information is being provided to inform the public about Vibrio. The Texas Beach Watch Program does NOT test for Vibrio. The Program tests for Enterococcus bacteria, an indicator of fecal contamination. Vibrio is a naturally occurring bacteria that increases during the summer months. For more information about Vibrio, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

·
Big daddy slim
485 Posts
it's the fecal contamination we get the warnings all summer long down here on Galveston at different locations along the beachfront

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
The water is kinda dirty by Pelican Island..I had a Condom..yea a Rubber float by me while Wading..Now that was Gross

Oxx..

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
LOL,, ya, Burnett is bad! rotfl!

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Hey OX, I had one do that back in the mid nineties across from Pelican by the treatment plant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
texaggie2007 said:
Is this vibro the same stuff as that flesh eating bacteria?
It's nasty stuff, but very opportunistic on immunocompromised individuals (elderly, frail, you get the idea). If you get a wound in the bay, rinse and clean as well as you can to minimize the risk (which is small already). But as a friend of mine used to say, "The risk may be small, but the consequences can be a mutha!"

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
itt is not the same as the flesh eating bacteria, but it is deadly, because it doesn't just cause your flesh to rot it gets into your system ,gives you flu like symptoms an it has got a head start, if you get any kind of wound involving saltwater and you go to the doctor make sure they know that it involves saltwater an mention vibro to them because all doctors are not familiar with it, more especially if you have any kind of supressed immune system- heart surgery,kidney problems etc.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Carry A Bottle Of "clorox Cleanup" In Your Vehicle Or Boat To Protect Against Vibrio. If You Have Any Cuts Or Scrapes Spray Asap.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No this is not VIBRIO! The contamination they are talking about is from FECAL MATTER. there are several causes for this problem with the most common being the recent heavy rains. All it means is that the rivers have dumped a fresh load of cow pies in our bays and surf and due to the high water temps the bacteria is growing. It is very much like an algae bloom, but unlike an algae bloom the only real worry is from people getting sick. So don't get the water in your mouth and try to keep it off of open cuts. You could get a bad case of the runs among other things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts