2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for cutting and pasting my report from my blog, but I don't wanna type it up again... I did expand on some things here tho':

Fishing June 11th, 2006: Surf at Pocket #3 and West bay at 8 Mile Road

Arriving at the finest looking surf I have ever seen, I waded into the water at 6:45 and took up a slot among a continual string of fishermen from what looked like one end of Galveston to the other. I was at Beach Pocket Park No. 3 down by 11 mile road. There was a stinking, fetid matt of rotting seaweed on the beach, but the water only had small clumps of the Sargasso floating in. There were no waves early in the day, and even at 4 feet deep I could still see my feet very faintly through the green, clear water. It looked incredible!
I chose a topwater first, but that didn't last long, and soon switched to a gold spoon with a little white bucktail on it. I worked the spoon fast, slow, and in between, but it was working it excruciatingly slow that finally started to get some hits. Unfortunately none of the hits were hookups but one, and that was a tail hooked Spanish Mackerel that must gave been investigating but not eating. I really like to catch "smacks" but not by the tail. Toseed him back to heal up and get caught when bigger. He was 14".

I didn't see anyone catch anything all morning, despite many of us working right in and among the feeding birds and the rafts of mullet. Just like during the week it seemed there were no speckled trout to be caught. I know they were there, just not eating.

Around 10am, I slung my Gold spoon into oblivion, snapping the line at a weak spot. Upon investigation of the tag end I noticed it had somehow managed to pick up some serious abrasion. I'm sure glad Johnson Sprite spoons are cheap. I took the opportunity to try a new lure, seeing glass minnows and smallish baitfish, I chose a clear Tsunami holographic swim bait. These baits always looked so good to me, they look to me as close to real as one could get. With the clear water, fish would be wary and would be able to take a good look at the bait, so I went for realism. I caught no specks with it, but it must have looked real because I caught two very large whiting with it! And those were the only fish I saw caught up and down the surf all day. I dropped the first one when he wen't wiggy on me, he was going to be dinner, so I let the second one go being resigned to a burger on the way home.

When the beachgoers became thick and splashing, screaming children and their happy yellow dogs were wading out to the second bar to see what all the fishermen were catching, I decided to leave. I went back to the bay side and waded from 8 mile road over to the northeast about a mile. Man, that 8 mile road area is really a dumpy place, but I like the easy access it gives to the northeast part of West Bay. I had cast netted a few shrimp and little mullet to soak since I was really tired of casting all morning. With a popping cork and a pretty lazy approach to wading, I slogged throught the oyster flats. I had pretty much just decided to enjoy the slow walk. I had several hookups but pulled in only one- a huge 28" long gafftop. He made two good strong runs and then pooped out, making a third small effort to bolt when he got a look at me. He slimed up my line prtty good too. He was croaking at me as I unhooked the worn out guy, and I watched him swim away exhausted. Its no game fish, but I was happy to have landed a pretty good sized fish. I've heard gafftops are excellent eating, though some would never admit it. I was tired and didn't wanna clean him.

I decided to head home around 3:00, having caught the two whiting and a gafftop, and tail hooked the mackerel. Not too good considering the picture-perfect conditions of the water, but sure better than the last few days when I caught absolutely nuthin'.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oc48 said:
28 inch gaftop huh....................

Let the games begin.
I was told of a tourney going on but I didn't know about it, measured that dude on my rod ruler, 28 inches for sure. Son't know what kinda weight.

·
Big Fish Wish!
162 Posts
Not sure why some of you think thats a bit hard to believe. Last year during a summer full moon I caught one that would have been pretty darn close. Now I did not measure it but I think my bud Harv who was with me would agree that it would have come pretty close....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
oc48 said:
Not saying anything negative, but a 28 inch gafttop would be around 12 lbs....

http://www.rodnreel.com/fishcharts/fishchartdisplay.asp?FishID=23

any chance the scale on your rod was off just a bit???
No, no chance it was off, and it was a solid 28, and yeah, it was a hefty fish. Had I known it would have been unbelievable I'd have taken its picture and kept it, but I'm nt real familiar with Gafftops, I never even saw one back in the day when I was fishing a lot. I was just thankful for a good fish that gave me some fun on a slow day. Had I caught it at the Galveston Fishing Pier last month it would have been a contender for their gafftop tourney, I remember the leader on that one had one similar sized. Also saw one at SaeWolf Park last month that was substantially bigger, they guy kept it and was using the cleaning table hose to wash the slime off.

I have no reason to tell fish tales, just reporting 'em as they come. :)

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
didn't measure

so you didn't measure it last year, But your SURE it would have come close?

Just double checking with ya!

·
Banned
144 Posts
cmon the guy posted a **** report. no need to question him. he cought what he cought. everyone knows about that "MONSTER" trout you cought right. i believe him, but it doesnt even matter. fisherman are supposed to stretch the truth. but a 28 inch gaftop isnt uncommon at all. we catch them all the time fishin for sharks

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
28 inches all the time?

it's just amazing to me how everybody catches a fish that would win the Gafttop division of the Star every year since the beginning of time but either isn't in the Star or I guess don't want a free boat.....

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
Clean Up

It Looks Like We Might Need A Clean Up On Isle 5 Here Soon.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
afford it?

well it seems to me that if you "cought" or even "caught" a gafttop that big once or "all the time fishing for sharks" you'd find the $$$ to enter the tournament each year and win that boat.

·
Banned
144 Posts
well lets see here, gotta pay bills, then more bills, then after that pay more bills. that leaves approx 0 dollars left to enter the star tourny. got prioities

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
well bro, tell you what, I live in League City too and the next time you go shark fishing let me know. I'm in the STAR and I"d love to catch a 28 inch Gafttop.

It's all good man.

·
Banned
144 Posts
all you gotta do is during july go out in 14 foot of water and soak some cut mullet and manhayden and catchem up

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
Need Moneys

OK WE ARE NOW LOOKING FOR MONEYS TO GET MY PARDNER IN THE STAR. PLEASE SEND ALL CHECKS TO [email protected] . WE ARE LOOKING FOR MAJOR CONTRIBUTIONS OF 1.00 EACH TILL WE REACH THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF 40.00. ALL DONATIONS WILL BE GREATLY APREACIATED AND 100% OF THE PROCEEDS WILL BE CONTRIBUTED TOWARDS THE INDUCTON OF GTM INTO THE TOURN. I PROMISE. RANDALL LOL

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
your comments are out of line - beginning with this one. if you do not have anything other than this type comment to add, please move on to another report.
oc48 said:
28 inch gaftop huh....................

Let the games begin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts