2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 F-250 4 X 4 with the 6.0 diesel. Has anyone replaced their stock muffler with a Flow master muffler or something like that. I had a 2000 F-250 with a V-10 that i put a Flow master on and it gained 2 mpg. Just wondering if its worth the money to do this. I have 70 k miles on the truck with no problems. Thanks for your input.:texasflag

·
archTech
8,581 Posts
Yes, there are plenty that have done it...just remember you should open up the intake also with a better flowing filter. You can use the Walker Big Truck muffler, the Magnaflow muffler, etc. There are many options, it just depends on if you want to go economical, quiet, etc.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The stock air filter on 6.0's flows more than you need. No need for a new intake. I had both my cat and muffler taken out. It is louder and sounds like a jet near the tailpipe but did gain a mpg or so. It sounds the same to me at speed until you get on the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I did a little something different than most. I added a flow pro muffler then took my cat off. it sounds good when you want it to but it not as loud as with both taken off.

·
archTech
8,581 Posts
Don't think all mufflers are the same for these diesels...3.5" in and 3.5" out with some baffels on the sides in the middle. That is exactly what the Walker BTM is and the Magnaflow also. I have the Walker on three different trucks and sounds the same on two but the third is dumped right behind the cab and is louder than straight pipe when you put it on the wood with 4:88 gears...there is only 4' of exhaust pipe. The Magnaflow on the wifes Excursion sounds completely stock even when you get on the go pedal as a driver...but if you are a by stander or running the truck exhaust against a nearby fence or concrete barrier, you can here the exhaust. The baffeling in the Magnaflow makes a big difference in the sound even though you can look straight through both mufflers...crazy thing about it is the Magnaflow muffler is actually half the length of the Walker so you would think it would be louder. I did alot of research on this when the wife said she did not want a loud exhaust and the sound frequency waves in conjunction to the distance where the muffler is located from the turbo is what makes the exhaust quiet or loud.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup the stock 6.0 air filter can support up to 500hp. Many guys dont get near that with our trucks. I have a strait pipe on my 6.0 it didn't add any seat of my pants performance. But it sounds mean as H311. If you want improved mileage, YOu should go with the SCT Xcal 3 with custom writen tunes. Their are several places you can get them at ranging from 400-600 bucks. Add HP/TQ and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I dont mean to jack your thread but what do yall think about a 4" mangnaflow on a 5.9 dodge stocker with a cat delete and 5" round tip?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yup the stock 6.0 air filter can support up to 500hp. Many guys dont get near that with our trucks. I have a strait pipe on my 6.0 it didn't add any seat of my pants performance. But it sounds mean as H311. If you want improved mileage, You should go with the SCT Xcal 3 with custom writen tunes. Their are several places you can get them at ranging from 400-600 bucks. Add HP/TQ and fuel mileage.
X2 ^^ Innovative diesel has some awesome tunes for the 6.0. And if you are going to buy any exhaust go ahead and get a full turbo back system and get rid of your cat, and a muffler is all up too you for sound wise since it's a straight through design you won't lose any power or mileage.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I dont mean to jack your thread but what do yall think about a 4" mangnaflow on a 5.9 dodge stocker with a cat delete and 5" round tip?
Magnaflow makes a really good exhaust, I had a 4" turbo back on my last 6.0 and it had a great fit and finish. If I were you I would make sure and get a muffler though, since a straight piped 5.9 gets kinda annoying on the highway, cat delete all the way though thats a huge restriction.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
I have a full 4" Magnaflow exhaust on my 04 and I wouldn't replace it with anything else.

Nice throaty sound, but not too loud and no drone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Transmission Splitter question

Does any one know any thing about putting a splitter on a standard Transmission ? Good idea, bad idea any opinions on this would be appreciated .

Dodge 3500

·
Banned
8 Posts
i have my 6.0 straight piped and i love it. and i could tell a different in power and less turbo lag. not much with MPG though. only thing is to keep in mind, now that is 2010 diesels have to start smogging now. no cat or muffler and you fail. right now im running a 190hp tune on my truck and almost everytime i give it gas it smokes. and i have a egr delete. im going to have to pay for my inspection now. but just a FYI any mods to the egr system or cat and muffler and you fail.

·
Registered
735 Posts
i have my 6.0 straight piped and i love it. and i could tell a different in power and less turbo lag. not much with MPG though. only thing is to keep in mind, now that is 2010 diesels have to start smogging now. no cat or muffler and you fail. right now im running a 190hp tune on my truck and almost everytime i give it gas it smokes. and i have a egr delete. im going to have to pay for my inspection now. but just a FYI any mods to the egr system or cat and muffler and you fail.
when did this go into effect? if so im screwed.

·
Banned
8 Posts
ok sorry, it is california, i mis understood it. but ethier way straight pipping is illegal. In san marcos area DPS is giving improper equip. tickets for loud diesels even though the turbo is considered a muffler on a diesel. and i read somewhere that someone went to court over this and they made him do a smog test. trying to find where i read this. anyways any altering of the emision parts on any vehicle( ex. muffler, cat, EGR valve or cooler, etc.) is "suppost to fail"

·
Registered
875 Posts
ok sorry, it is california, i mis understood it. but ethier way straight pipping is illegal. In san marcos area DPS is giving improper equip. tickets for loud diesels even though the turbo is considered a muffler on a diesel. and i read somewhere that someone went to court over this and they made him do a smog test. trying to find where i read this. anyways any altering of the emision parts on any vehicle( ex. muffler, cat, EGR valve or cooler, etc.) is "suppost to fail"
It is some dick dps targeting diesel trucks and especially trucks with Truck Source Diesel stickers for some reason....tsd took him to court and made a fool out of him supposedly. He has no idea about emission requirements or any regulations and is writing BS tickets. There's a whole thread about him on powerstrokenation.com. Some early model 7.3's didn't even come with Cats and he is writing violations for people not having them when they didn't come with one from factory. And trying to write tickets for stacks when they are completely legal and stupid stuff like that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just an FYI, the Texas law was changed. The turbo on a diesel truck is no longer considered a muffler.
I have heard that too by a bunch of people but haven't actually seen it written yet ....You happen to have a link to the law possibly? Because the definition of a muffler would include the turbine wheel of the turbo as a baffle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
stright pipe?

The stock air filter on 6.0's flows more than you need. No need for a new intake. I had both my cat and muffler taken out. It is louder and sounds like a jet near the tailpipe but did gain a mpg or so. It sounds the same to me at speed until you get on the skinny pedal.
what did you put in place of what you took out, I'm wanting to do the same thing, I heard my outfitter's deer hunting and it sound's awesome with a stright pipe:ac550:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts