2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday me and my fishing buddies Larry and Curtis went out of Freeport on what would turn out to be a dorado bonanza. After loading the boat with the self-imposed limit of chickens at a huge weedline at the 32's, we went trolling for a while looking for a bigger dorado or wahoo. Unfortunately, it was not to be. The next stop (after a few shrimp boats with nothing on them) was a snapper spot about 55 miles out. While we had our snapper rigs out, there is a huge streak under the boat to which everyone says "what was that?" Thinking it must be a dolphin of the flipper variety, we resumed snapper fishing. Suddenly, I look in the water and shout "Huge Dorado!" My buddy Curtis responds "I know, I'm hooked up with him!" The fish stays on for about a minute but throws the hook on a great jump out of the water. He was using a snapper rig with about 8 oz. of weight above the hook, and the fish must have got the leverage on him with that weight flying around.

Strangely enough, the fish (and the buddy swimming with him) refused to leave the area of the boat and was determined to commit suicide. I see the fish swimming just off the stern and toss the only thing I had rigged up... a 3 oz. white BUCKTAIL with a cigar minnow intended for snapper. The dorado inhales the jig and after a short and suprisingly easy fight, Larry gaffs it perfectly in the head. When that fish came over the side of the boat, I knew it was a monster dorado.

The spring scale on the boat registered 54 lbs. Larry asks, you are in the STAR tournament, aren't you? At that point, I nearly cried. I usually register at the Houston boat show, but did not this year for some stupid reason. Anyway, the scales at Beach Bait read 47 1/2 lbs. after several hours on ice. It still would have made first place in the STAR.

Someone please catch a bigger dolphin between now and Labor Day so I don't have to feel so bad. That Contender would have been nice.

P.S. My wife entered me in the STAR today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Jesus Cristo, not a good feeling right now huh! Great fish, not so good of a story. I'm sure it wouldn't have held up ;)! There are always some bigger fish weighed in the calm days of August. Don't let it bother you (note to self,stupid,stupid,stupid). Just kidding. I've got a client who in 2001 or 02 caught a tagged red while not in the STAR. The next year, he repeated with better results. Just think of the taxes you would have had to pay on the boat, lol.-Tom

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,918 Posts
A friend of mine came by Sunday evening, to gloat, he had caught a 42lb, 5'2" Dorado. I got pictures of it i'll try to get up later. He wasn't signed up either. I looked at the leader board and he still might have had a 3rd place fish. Cheap insurance! It was a beautiful bull.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
nice fish and bad jugdement. now you are going to have to think about the boat and pray that someone will catch a bigger one in the tourney. if you venture offshore you never know when that fish of a lifetime will hit....rick

·
Registered
38 Posts
I won't let anyone fish on my boat unless they have entered the STAR Tourney. After one crew member caught one at Matagorda that weighed 58 lbs., MY rule went into effect afterwards.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
that su(K$!!

hey scott, nice catch!! hudge told me the story this morning and i asked if he had a pic yet. way to go! i'll bet you never forget to register again. hudge and i are headed down to poc this next weekend to try and win some $$.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boat money...

Thanks for the kind words. I feel awful about not entering the tournament, but that just means I''ll have to go out and gett a bigger one next time. You and Hudge slay them in POC this weekend. And btw, great pic of the El Pescador in Gator Cove on the other board. Later.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Sorry That Was What Happened...

But did you know that I would kiss a big fat black gorilla's red gobby gumbo a__ to catch a Bull like that? Just thought you may be wondering. CF? :slimer:

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,634 Posts
Don't let it bother you amigo. I haven't renewed my membership CCA for amost 5 years now and won't. It's all for the fun of fishing anyway. You can't put a price on it.. Although, a new boat would add more fun.. lol..

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I have been fishing for year and this is the first year I signed up. Not that I plan on winning but if I do caught winning fish I might as well get a little benefit. If I did win a boat I would probably sell it cause I like the boat I have now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts