2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend email NDBC about the outage they sent him a picture of someone tied to it anyone know this guy? I doubt he had an effect on it on such a calm day but I don't believe they like anyone using it as a mooring bouy. Anyway I guess NOAA is blaming you for the bouy being down.

Attachments

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Wonder if thats what they discovered when they went to check on it..

a

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Actually, I think its illegal to tie up to one - not sure but I think I read that somewhere. Also, if they think you caused damage, they'll ask you to pay for the repairs. Dispatching a boat to fix it and equipment replacement costs would be pretty stiff I imagine.

·
Registered
800 Posts
This is a quote from the 42019 website
"

Specific steps that mariners can take to safeguard the systems include:
  • neither boarding nor tying-up to a data buoy;
  • giving the buoy a wide berth to avoid entangling the buoy's mooring or other equipment suspended from the buoy--500 yards for vessels which are trailing gear, and at least 20 yards for all others;
  • reporting to the U.S. Coast Guard any damage you observe to a data buoy;
  • reporting to the U.S. Coast Guard any observation of people on or vessels attached to a weather buoy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
it is

aganist the law to tie to them and now we r all in the dark probley for the summer on the weather condintions wish that u could see the guys tx #s. dont know y someone would do that thier is so many places to fish offshore just go someware else

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I got the info from NDBC about 42019 which was posted by dlove and they were very nice in their answer. Serena with Ndbc said that they are looking into the boat tie-up incident and will try to get someone out to take care of the problem "as soon as possible. The picture I received from Serena is much better than the posted one and it looks like the boat brand is caravelle--single engine. All of the registration # which can be read is the TX part-- maybe they wanted it that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You just don't do this; it's like tieing of to the swing line from a rig: it is convenient and you don't think it's likely to cause any problem, but you're not there when the problem comes around. Some poor SOB drops off swinging to the rig and breaks his back; the buoy goes down in mid-storm. Everyone knows this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tying up a data implementing bouy out in the gulf is like shooting ur postal courier with a water gun at an apartment complex pool while they are doing their doing their job......U JUST DON'T DO IT!.......

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
RBravo said:
You just don't do this; it's like tieing of to the swing line from a rig: it is convenient and you don't think it's likely to cause any problem, but you're not there when the problem comes around. Some poor SOB drops off swinging to the rig and breaks his back; the buoy goes down in mid-storm. Everyone knows this.
I thought swinging onto a rig was no longer done. Is it still the practice?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
that boat in the picture looks like a century, not caravelle

·
Registered
518 Posts
People do things offshore thinking no one will ever know. I went out with Bill one time about 2 years ago , had some guys not not far from us light one up or a couple who knows it was really strong! and believe me you knew what it was look like a smoke signal comming from that boat... They do it because no one tells or talks.
Lynn
Sure hope he at least got some fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts