2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've never fished the 41 hydra sports, but I've been on the 42 and currently own a smaller YF. From looking at them in person, there is nothing ,*to me*, that the HS has to offer over the YF besides price. Wylie can and will build anything you want, and has the customer service to back it up. I will forever be a loyal YF customer and will continue to buy my boats from him till his company culture changes. Customer first...and it shows.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
as a former owner of two 33' Hydra-sports I would put their customer service up against anyones.
If anything goes wrong it was replaced no questions asked.

I would not underestimate the Hydra-sports.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
All I can say it that my dad is a structural engineer and was most impressed by the composite fiberglass construction on the Hydro-Sports boats.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
that's like comparing a ferrari to a kia or jennifer beal to rosie o'donnel.
seriously though the hydra sports is a fine boat but it is a 2 piece production family oriented boat whereas the yellowfin is a 3 piece custom hardcore fishing machine.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
A guy was posting over on THT about some on-going issues he was having with a new yellowfin. After a few days Wylie responded and offered to buy the boat back at full purchase price because he thought the customer would never be happy with his new boat and would always feel jaded about the purchase. Customer service appears to very important to the Yellowfin gang. Either way it's one hell of a problem to have choosing between the two boats.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
I'd just be happy with anything in the 40 ft range, good luck and I will help all fishing expense's.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
Like Rod said, I'd be happy with anything in the 40' range...in that realm, I'd go with the Yellowfin. The first offshore boat my dad owned was a Hydra Sports 24' cc and had a couple of hull issues. They fixed the problem with no issues, but that always stuck in the back of his head. YF makes a sweet boat.

Don't forget Venture Marine makes a 39open, Sea Vee makes a 39 and now a 43 w inboards/outboards and Midnight Express makes a 39 all of which are recognized well in the world of offshore fishing.

Either way, both boats you are looking at are solid. Hydra Sports has come A LONG WAY and shouldn't be immediately discredited bc its up against Yellowfin.

·
If I aint workin I am Fishin...
394 Posts
Like Rod said, I'd be happy with anything in the 40' range...in that realm, I'd go with the Yellowfin. The first offshore boat my dad owned was a Hydra Sports 24' cc and had a couple of hull issues. They fixed the problem with no issues, but that always stuck in the back of his head. YF makes a sweet boat.

Don't forget Venture Marine makes a 39open, Sea Vee makes a 39 and now a 43 w inboards/outboards and Midnight Express makes a 39 all of which are recognized well in the world of offshore fishing.

Either way, both boats you are looking at are solid. Hydra Sports has come A LONG WAY and shouldn't be immediately discredited bc its up against Yellowfin.

X2

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Make sure to also take resale into consideration. I would guess that a Yellowfin would hold it's value considerably better just off of reputation alone. Although, they are so expensive they may depreciate faster in the first couple of years.

Not sure - better do your homework.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have fished out of a 42ft yellowfin several times. It is a really great boat the ride is unbelievable. The person that owns this boat has had a few issue's with it. In matter of fact this is the second one cause they couldn't fix the first problem, so they replaced the boat with a new one. The only issue they have had with the new boat is the live well on the transom it was breaking loose. So they flew down here to texas and fixed the problem at the house.

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
what do you do for a livin? i need to get me a job like that!!

personally i would go with a YF.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
BWB, that SeaVee with twin IPS is SICK. Loan me $400k so I can get me one. I promise I'll take you fishing. ;)

Brandon
Trust me, I'd buy the boat just to have YOU take me fishing...I'd prob get the SV w the twin IPS, too. Isn't that the boat that Scott (Tarpon Tom) has? I don't know that I'd go over 39' anyway... would rather have an express for that coin...bigger and better used would be my thinking...not to undermine the 41'+ cc's, thats just a lot of boat for the money not to have adequate protection from the sea goddess when she strikes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
They both hold about the same amount of fuel, the yellowfin weights 4k less... this is reflected in the better fuel burn numbers displayed in the performance bulletins.

The yellowfin has better range at it's optimum cruise or it can cruise almost 20 mph faster getting the same fuel burn as the hydra-sport.

They are both GORGEOUS, but that fact would swing me towards the Yellowfin.

1,751 Posts
Trust me, I'd buy the boat just to have YOU take me fishing...I'd prob get the SV w the twin IPS, too. Isn't that the boat that Scott (Tarpon Tom) has? I don't know that I'd go over 39' anyway... would rather have an express for that coin...bigger and better used would be my thinking...not to undermine the 41'+ cc's, thats just a lot of boat for the money not to have adequate protection from the sea goddess when she strikes.
Scott has a 34 Sea Vee with straight inboards like mine. Great boats and will ride with most any boat under 40. The 43 Sea Vee is a machine but I too thank the 39 is more than enough boat! I am just wanting the to build a 39 with a forward cuddy like I have now!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts