2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know were i can get a coil of 400lb mono about 100yds long. might try trolling a hand line off of a suply vessel in Africa on my next hitch.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Call Chris at Islanders in Galveston he might mail you some!!!!!

John

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
200 pound flat line will catch anything you might want to keep....400 would be scary...and expensive and hard to find...I use the flat line on sailboats all the time and really not much fun dragging fish to death but okay if you will eat it.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
You might try looking in Home Depot or Lowes for a big spool of heavy weed eater line. I bought a 2000' spool of 2mm diameter line several years ago. Don't know the test, but looking at it I would guess it has to be at least 200lb.

·
Registered
340 Posts
ebay - I've bought spools of line pretty cheap - from 30# on up to 200#.. Just takes a week or 2 - you can't be in a hurry, but you'll save $$$

·
Registered
813 Posts
FTU / Cut Rate has the stuff. We bought some for $16.00 or close to it. Maybe 100 yards or so. It was black. We put it on an downrigger before we heard all the stories of the mono splitting the spool. Now we need to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I posted earlier about using 200 pound mono instead...I also use a cut off rod handle and a old reel with the drag locked so you can reel it in when you are through...100 yrds of 400 pound mono is impossible except on the biggest of reels and then its a pain... a check cord and snubber also are handy...this alows me to fish any where in the world while on a blowboat...I also use the american rodsmith two piece helicopter rods...a couple of pics...first one the flat line in the lower corner on the stern rail and the second picure is self explanitory...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just another way.... after pulling out one of my old cuban Yo-Yo's http://http://www.palmbaybaitandtackle.com/products/cubanyoyo.htm this week end for a trip down Island and seeing a sugestion... sometimes the simplest is the best...a couple hundred feet of 3/16" nylon ( easy on the hands ), a swivel, twenty feet of 80# monofilament, a swivel, 8 feet of wire leader. Hope this helps and sure is inexpensive

·
Registered
95 Posts
we have it up at cut rate ande 400 lb clear its about as big around as ur pinky though lol im at the katy freeway store but the one on 45 should have it to

1 - 16 of 16 Posts