2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at 400 class 4 wheelers. I want 4 wheel drive and auto transmission. So far I have looked at the Kawasaki Prarie 360, Yamaha Bruin 350, and a Polaris Sportsman 400. The Polaris is my preference right now unless someone can convince me otherwise. For the same price it has independent rear suspension, liquid cooled engine, disc brakes on the rear, and more ground clearance. The only downside to it that I can see is that at 697 lbs, it is easily 100 lbs heavier than it competitors.

Honda probably makes the best machine, but are too much $$$$. Any feedback on Polaris? Good or bad?

Thanks

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
Polaris

Polaris 800, get the biggest and the best that way you will never need another. I have the 700 and it the workhorse on the deer lease....just my 2 cts

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Polaris should be on the bottom of the food chain... kawaski and Honda are the better of the four you mentioned. have you looked at the honda rancher 350 ES 4x4? aint automatic but it has electric shift (ES). two of my freinds have one and they love them. the honda forman is also good. the kawaski prarie 360 is a good choice. Yamaha is ok but they have singel rear suspintion and i have heard storys of the starter goin out......JJ

PS-have you seen the new kawaski 750?

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
I like the Kawasaki best. None of my buddies have had great luck with Polaris. And when/if you have to criss water, the drive belt will get wet and start to slip. Also, if you ever go to the mountains, you can't downshift with an automatic.

4-wd is a good thing, and it will keep you cleaner if you have to go through some mud. It will also let you climb better.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
profish00 said:
Polaris 800, get the biggest and the best that way you will never need another. I have the 700 and it the workhorse on the deer lease....just my 2 cts
Your 700 is nice. This four wheeler will be for the whole family and I just don't think I need anything that big. Looking at the specs the 400 and 700 are dang near the same, if not exactly the same dimensionally and the 700 only carries 10 more lbs on the front rack and 20 more pounds on the rear rack.

Where did you buy your 700 from? How much did you shop around?

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
Pasadena honda, I think you can get one cheaper further north like Normangy.
the belt thing in water is a fall back but only if submerged for long periods of time and there is a drain plug on the housing.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
profish00 said:
how do you keep your four-wheeler so clean? looks like it aint used that much.........JJ

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Polaris...hands down. I've been around every conceivable model of ATV on deer leases over the years and the Polaris has run circles around the others. To qualify that statement, I have have not been around any of the newer models of the other brands in the last year. Everyone on our lease is now on Polaris 4 wheelers and Rangers.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
I have a Polaris 425 magnum and I love it, at the time I bought it, it could carry more weight on the racks than all the others. It was also rated to pull more than the others, if I buy another one, it'll be a Polaris, and yes I own Hondas too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sell em both Polaris and the kawasaki. I believe the kawasaki to be a better machine. It is less expensive also. The 360 is a good sized middle of the road machine. and the 650 will do anything you ask of it.

GO to www.propowersportsofconroe.com click on showroom and you can perform side by side comparisons of all the brands. Then make your own informed decision.

good shopping

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
mjohn7280,, LOL,, sorry bud but check the dates of this post bud. I think the purchase was made over a year ago buddy!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
if it says yamaha it's a good product. stay w/ honda or yamaha. i rode a polaris 325 a few weeks ago and i thought it was a pretty weak ride. my yamaha kodiak will run circles around it. both were autos but the polaris had no power. word i get is that polaris is the worst out of all of em.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kawasaki

I had a polaris it is a good machine,but i bought a Kawasaki 650 Brute Force 4x4i it is an awesome machine.You will pay more or almost as much for a Polaris 500 than for a Kawasaki 650.I priced them before i bought mine and you will have 133cc more out of the Brute Force.I paid $6500 for my 650 and for $ 300 more my brother got the 750.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Ok Brad..I call bs...Ive run around a mess of the polocks & My Eiger 400 4x4 has done some incredible stuff..hands down..I had a Polaris.400 & its sittin my buds shed rotting..The 700 is nice, But it just an opinion..I like an ATV that can run the Marsh & duck leases..thats a Nasty arse proving zone..Plus..I use mine @ my House weeklly..I tear it up on the Muddin..

but my opinion is like a Camero..everybody has had 1..
Oxx..
TXPalerider said:
Polaris...hands down. I've been around every conceivable model of ATV on deer leases over the years and the Polaris has run circles around the others. To qualify that statement, I have have not been around any of the newer models of the other brands in the last year. Everyone on our lease is now on Polaris 4 wheelers and Rangers.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
closed! I'm locking this thread its from 2004 people

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
OxbowOutfitters said:
Ok Brad..I call bs...Ive run around a mess of the polocks & My Eiger 400 4x4 has done some incredible stuff..hands down..I had a Polaris.400 & its sittin my buds shed rotting..The 700 is nice, But it just an opinion..I like an ATV that can run the Marsh & duck leases..thats a Nasty arse proving zone..Plus..I use mine @ my House weeklly..I tear it up on the Muddin..

but my opinion is like a Camero..everybody has had 1..
Oxx..
Even though this thread is almost three years old, I'll add my comment. I own a '05 Polaris Sportsman 400 and it is very underpowered and the first 6 months of owning it was a nightmare. We've hooked up the 5x10 utility trailer to it and hauled some sticks and tree limbs out to the pasture and the whole time it acted like it was struggling. Everytime I look at it now I wish I had gone to atleast a 700cc for things I need it to do. BTW anybody want to buy a '05 Sportsman 400:biggrin: j/k.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I'll put me and my buddies Polaris's up against anything out their!! Those Crosby boys are always looking for a good Challenge!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts