2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of people on this forum that have a great deal of feelings when it comes to the future of hunting and our youth.. From some of the responses about my post on the Texas Youth Hunting Program www.tyhp.org I thought I would share with you another way to get your kids involved in the outdoors. Many of our children raise livestock for county shows through the local 4-H chapters and FFA. Well 4-H also has a strong shooting sports program with everything from pellet rifles to rifles. I've instructed the archery division for San Patricio Co. for the past 4 years and believe or not they didn't even have one place. So if you interested contact your local county extension office and see what you can do to help..pm me if you have questions..Walker

By the way pictured below are some of the students from this past year.. In district 11 (18 counties) we took first place in six divisions.. I had to brag a little : )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Mine have been in the 4H shooting sports in the past but not the last couple of years. I do however take them and their friends shooting/hunting at some of the local ranches around Uvalde. I'll have to take a look at their website.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Its a great program and no small matter either. My oldest was in Trap & Skeet for a few years. Never won anything, but had a great time.

Two kids from his group eventually won State and both shot collegiately at TAMU.

D2

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey Walker
Congrats, the shooting sport program is a great thing my son was in it in Bexar co for a while we had a blast loading up and traveling to shoot in the shotgun sports my son Dad and I and little sis all tagged around to the shoots my son now 20 still talks about the time we threw a belt on our motor home and stayed the night on the way to CC for a shoot. it will stay with those youngsters for life you are a good man for taking your time to teach them.
DavidC

·
Registered
31 Posts
My brother and I have hosted the 4-H Shooting Sports program at our place here in Buda just south of Austin for 2 Yrs now. We were even able to get a grant from the new Cabelas to purchase several items for the club. Its the same story and rewards of the old adage of take a kid fishing....teach them how to use a gun as well. The thrill of the hunt excites us all....even us big kids......still

1 - 7 of 7 Posts