2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a lot of customers lately that wanted to do nothing but blue marlin fish. To quote one of my favorites, "if we wanted red meat, we would have shot one of our cows." That's all I need to hear. **** the tuna, we want unicorns! Here are a few action pics

-Capt. Woody Woods
www.paradise-outfitters.com

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice job cap! How's your blue water situation looking over there? I know the sat image shows it cleaning up to the South East. You able to make the short run or still have to go long to find anything bill fishy?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue water?? What's that! It has been clean to the southeast for some time. But Green Canyon is always blue. Definitely running 45+ miles from south pass lately. But the runs have been worth it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
There are 2 pics of mone fish in those pics from the looks of it. Not sure if its the same fish but the one with you pointing at the camera and the last pic look plenty big enough to stick a gaff in for a tourney. Pictures can be decieving as well. Great fish all around!!

Also i saw two tags in one of those fish...did yall put two in or was one already there? If so did you remove it and send it off??

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One fish was in the 300 class, one was over 4, and the big girl was estimated between 550-600 by some very respected names in the big game world, much older and wiser than I. A lot of fun on the leader, I assure you! The video is great; I will release it at a later date, as I am slammed with charters, tournaments, and school right now. Most of the fish, upon release, I swam with down (held onto) to about 60 feet or so, and you can see the size and girth on those fish compared to my hand where it is holding on to their tail, really well. Amazing experience!!!

Regarding the tags, I always place a Billfish Foundation tag in one, as well as a Louisiana Tag. They want us tagging everything, primarily tuna, dolphin, and marlin, so we are happy to oblige in the name of science, research, and conservation!

Thanks for the kind words, it has been a lot of fun changing up gears from tuna fishing lately!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
One fish was in the 300 class, one was over 4, and the big girl was estimated between 550-600 by some very respected names in the big game world, much older and wiser than I. A lot of fun on the leader, I assure you! The video is great; I will release it at a later date, as I am slammed with charters, tournaments, and school right now. Most of the fish, upon release, I swam with down (held onto) to about 60 feet or so, and you can see the size and girth on those fish compared to my hand where it is holding on to their tail, really well. Amazing experience!!!

Regarding the tags, I always place a Billfish Foundation tag in one, as well as a Louisiana Tag. They want us tagging everything, primarily tuna, dolphin, and marlin, so we are happy to oblige in the name of science, research, and conservation!

Thanks for the kind words, it has been a lot of fun changing up gears from tuna fishing lately!
Much respect to anybody that tags fish...for the life of me i cant understand why someone wouldn't.

Side story on that...My old capt. ran a boat and they were fishing East Cervesa (a shelf rig here in Texas) and they hooked a fiesty blue and tagged her. One month later they were fishing West Cervesa (sister rig a couple miles away) and hooked into another blue. They boated it and saw a tag so they sent it off. Turned out to be the exact same fish that the tagged the previous month and it ate the same lure in the exact same spot in the spread with the same angler on the rod. Chances of that ever happening are increidbly small. Writeup actually made marlin mag. Ive never even seen a tagged blue in the 15 yrs or so doing this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Side story on that...My old capt. ran a boat and they were fishing East Cervesa (a shelf rig here in Texas) and they hooked a fiesty blue and tagged her. One month later they were fishing West Cervesa (sister rig a couple miles away) and hooked into another blue. They boated it and saw a tag so they sent it off. Turned out to be the exact same fish that the tagged the previous month and it ate the same lure in the exact same spot in the spread with the same angler on the rod. Chances of that ever happening are increidbly small. Writeup actually made marlin mag. Ive never even seen a tagged blue in the 15 yrs or so doing this.[/QUOTE]

I grew up fishing in Tampico, Mexico, 280 NM due south from Port A. In 1998 I caught a Marlin that had been tagged;unfortunately the fish came up dead. Sent the tag and got back a certificate with the original date, boat, captain and estimated weight of when it had been tagged. Fast forward 11 years; I am now residing in San Antonio. When entering my first tournament in the US, "Texas Legends", the name John Cochrane has a familiar ring to it, but can't pinpoint where or what from.
2 years later going over my fish files, I come upon the recapture report only to see that it was there that John's name had first appeared; John had tagged that same Marlin 10 years prior of the Texas Coast.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I grew up fishing in Tampico, Mexico, 280 NM due south from Port A. In 1998 I caught a Marlin that had been tagged;unfortunately the fish came up dead. Sent the tag and got back a certificate with the original date, boat, captain and estimated weight of when it had been tagged. Fast forward 11 years; I am now residing in San Antonio. When entering my first tournament in the US, "Texas Legends", the name John Cochrane has a familiar ring to it, but can't pinpoint where or what from.
2 years later going over my fish files, I come upon the recapture report only to see that it was there that John's name had first appeared; John had tagged that same Marlin 10 years prior of the Texas Coast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.