2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TurnTex Woodworks
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was approached by a company in Houston, to make 15-18 Jr. Statesmen "Original Cactus Pens"™ with laser engraved Mesquite boxes. Well, I reluctantly accepted the commission (I hate production work!) and the order started to grow. First, they changed it to 20 sets, then 24, then 29, and finally, 33! The due date was short (6 weeks) and I am now COMPLETELY sick of making cactus pens and mesquite boxes!

This order was for Energy XXI, an oil and gas company who is having a "bond closing" dinner for some of the biggest investment guys in the US. I am hoping that this big order opens some doors into the high end corporate world.

Anyway, here are some pics of the finished order. The pens are all made with my Crystal Clear "Original Cactus Blanks"™ reverse painted black and finished with a CA finish. The kit is the Jr. Statesman platinum with black ti. The boxes are from Texas Mesquite that I salvaged from road construction sites, sawed into lumber on my sawmill, and dried. The box finish is 4 coats of Deft satin lacquer.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Wow, those look fantastic. Great job. However, I looked and can't see my name on any of them boxes. Whats up with that?

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Very nice job, Curtis.. I know what ya mean with getting sick of production orders. This was supposed to be a 'hobby' for me..and now I'm about 20 behind on Christmas orders..:D Beautiful work..partcularly like the 'personalized' boxes.. Do you do your own engraving ?

Also sympathize with ya on the 'pirating' of your great idea. Over the last many decades of 'bidness' I've come up with some great ideas...and, when one really worked...I knew in just a short time somebody would hijack the idea and cut my throat. Wise old man told me long ago.."Jim, there ain't nothing in the world you can think up and market that some ******* ain't gonna copy and sell for less"... Just free enterprise at work, I guess, but still pizzez us off...

Kudos on the pens...and the inspiration....:cheers:

·
OllllO
8,874 Posts
I love those Cactus Pens and those boxes are also very nice! Good Work!

Tortuga....does that mean that you don't have time to make a couple pens for me?

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
I love those Cactus Pens and those boxes are also very nice! Good Work!

Tortuga....does that mean that you don't have time to make a couple pens for me?
Amigo...for YOU... I'll stop the whole dammed world and grind out whatever you want..... Your 'credit account' is already overflowing at the geezer's double-wide...:rotfl:

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Absolutely incredible. Should be some mighty proud folks after that meeting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts