2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a 300WSM Savage rifle and I wonder how much different it is from a 300WinMag. I can trade the rifle for another caliber but I want to hear the virtues of the 300WSM before I decide. I'm definately keeping the 300WinMag because it is a real shooter. Is there an advantage to having the 300WSM? I'm thinking of trading it for a 204Ruger if I don't keep it. I have a 220Swift, 223, 22-250, 257Wby, and the 300WinMag already... what else might i need? Thinking of something the wife might want to shoot.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
not a ton of difference. The short mag is slightly flatter and has a little more energy. Its not night and day. I would swap for the 204.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
Here it is and i have had two of each, the WSM is quite a bit lighter due to the much shorter action , but the Cartridges are definitely almost twice the price! The recoil "in my experience" with a 165 grain bullet and a medium book load can be compared to a .308 on the short mag. I personally love both Cartridges but if i did it again it would be the WSM hands down ,And if you go this route i will send you a couple of boxes of Winchester X1 fired nickel brass! My two last tested where Kimbers. I could bench soot a whole box of wsm with No soreness as compared to half a box of .300 win mag. before i started flinching-gun for gun! Hope this helps buddy-ya lucky bastage!:D

·
Registered
933 Posts
That 22-250 impresses me---major shock and awe when it hits something. Kinetic energy is a wonderful thing. We shot a can of cranberry sauce sitting on a brick at 50 yds. Shock broke the brick into 3 pieces and about all that we found of the can was the bottom.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have a winchester 300wsm and love it. I put a Leupold VX111 3.5 X 10 and use the winchester supreme 150gr ammo...........needless to say, its deadly

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,636 Posts
I also won a 300 WSM 5 years ago (Win. Mod. 70) and it was a tack driver out to 300 yards. I hunted it one year and took two deer with it and after seeing the amount of damage it caused, traded it for a .308. IMHO it is way too much gun for Texas Deer, but would make a nice addition to a collection. I didn't have a .308 and only had one slot left in my safe, that is the biggest reason I traded.......

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
I shoot at 300WSM as well. It's my guide gun and big game gun. Shot placement on white tail is key when shooting smaller animals.

Trees move out of the way when it go's off if that tells ya anything. I have put moose down no issues with it.

Flipped 300LB hogs head over heals.

Good rifle if you like large caliber guns. I'm shooting at 300 yards dialed in on VXL

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I shoot a 300WSm in a Win Mod 70..........I love it. As mentioned above, it shoots a little flatter and a lil hotter that it's full lenght brotheren.

My best shot with mine is 2 hogs, with one bullet. And, I've had 5 one shot elk kills.

I shoot Winchester Accubond in 185gr.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
270 WSM

You don't need a 300WSM if you already have a 300 Win Mag. But you would really like a 270 WSM.....Craig Boddington says its his fav of the WSMs. I really like mine and I have both 300WSM and 270WSM. Plus it would fill a gap in your collection.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't need a 300WSM if you already have a 300 Win Mag. But you would really like a 270 WSM.....Craig Boddington says its his fav of the WSMs. I really like mine and I have both 300WSM and 270WSM. Plus it would fill a gap in your collection.
I hadn't even considered the 270WSM. After looking at the ballistics and loads available, it might be something that would interest me. What barrel length do you have in it? I want something with a max barrel length of 24"... I'll sacrifice some velocity to keep the LOA down.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
375H&H, 9.3x62, .338-06, lots of room at the top end of your list.
I'm limited to what Gander Mountain may have available and by my shoulder tolerance...LOL I really have never hunted anything that a 300WinMag won't knock off its feet.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
My 270 WSM

is a Win M70 wood stock with the schabel nose...may be the featherweight config. I bought it at a gun show. Not sure what the bbl length is. But it shoots real nice. Compared to my Tikka in 300 WSM (180 grain bullets) the 270 WSM (with the usual 130 grain bullets) is really light kicking. Im sure it would be under your and your wife's recoil tolerance (for a deer rifle). Yeah you have a big gap there the 130 gr 270 WSM would fit real nice.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
you have a big gap between the 257 weatherby and your 300 winmag. Lots of stuff fits in between. Take a look at the 7mm-08 in a model 7 for your wife (20" bbl easy to handle, plus a great mountain gun for you for everything up to elk); maybe a 30-06 or some of the 7mm mentioned before, or maybe a 6.5. Heck you haven't even started yet. Many guns to go. LOL

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I'm limited to what Gander Mountain may have available and by my shoulder tolerance...LOL I really have never hunted anything that a 300WinMag won't knock off its feet.
Gander Mountain is a full-line retailer, aren't they?:slimer:

Is it really a question of need?

I am just giving you a hard time, but you really have the Texas game covered up to maybe Nilgai already, and the .300 Win will do that too.

Of course, my last purchase was a 6.8, but I justifed it as something that would easy for the kids to shoot.:rotfl:

[Did I put that in writing?]:confused:

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
My philosophy is that there are two types of guns: Shoot guns, and have guns.

There are just some guns that you own because you SHOOT them.

Then there are some guns that you own just because you must HAVE them.

Personally I have way too many HAVE guns.

THE "LOVE EM ALL" JAMMER

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I have had two of them and they both had feeding problems if you really had to take a quick shot, the sharp shoulders made the shells jam up. IMO unless you are worried about the extra couple of inches of overall lenght, go with a standard mag round.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
A really cool old 7mm Mauser. One of the most underrated. Or maybe a 45.70 just for fun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts