2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having floated the barrel, then bedding the barrel, the Remington 700 SS BDL .300 SAUM is a tack driving machine!

57 Gr. of Varget, pushing a 150 Gr. Ballistic Tip, had 3 shots touching in a horizontal line.

58 Gr. of Varget had 3 shots touching in a vertical line.

Today we try 57.5 Gr. of Varget and hopefully they will all be in the same hole.

Who said that caliber wouldn't be any good? LOL

·
I once killed two stones with one bird..
688 Posts
I've heard good things about the accuracy of the caliber, just wonder what it will do that any number of other calibers won't do. Those Ballistic Tips at 3k+ are going to make a mell of a hess of whatever 98lb whitetail you shoot. Probably won't hurt the tail or the chin, though. ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
What is max with Varget? What is your FPS? How hot is your load? Nice groups, but Vertical line groups is from a underpower load I think. I had a 257 ackley that with mild loads gave me vertical groups. But as it got hotter loads it would make nice little round groups.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hahaha lol at Whitecrow about the deer...hahaha...

HH would that bullet be a 30309 ?

If so and you like that you should give the 30502 a go. I have had some amazing results from a remmy LTR in .308 win

I find it interesting you chose a 150 gr bullet with that cartridge. I bet its a flat shootin' son of a gun.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max load with Varget is 59 Gr. and it's well over 3100 FPs. This load is supposed to out perform a .300 UM beyond 300 yards. Below 300 yards there is still not a lot of difference. We have several shots in Leaky that are beyond 200 yards and out to 400+ yards.

I bought the gun for Axis. I have used my trusty .270 for several years using 59.0 Gr. of IMR 7828 pushing a 140 Gr. Sierra Game King. Sweet load!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whitecrow, the Ballistic Tips mushroom like a hollow point game king. The only difference is that the Ballistic tip has the plastic tip for aerodynamics. My .270 shoots the Game King Hollow Points and I've had only 1 blow out due to a neck shot at less than 50 yards. Not much was left between the head and shoulders. It was a direct hit on the neck bone. All shoulder shots have been clean mushroomed exits. The Ballistic Tips are not as bad today as when first introduced. They would literally explode on exit. Not so today.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My 300 ult mag throws three shots touching everytime, the kicker is I'm shooting factory 150 grn. sciroccos. That gun is the bringer of death. When she levels off and the scope is settled it's ballgame. Good luck taking a big axis!

~jb

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Junebug, we have more Axis on our place now than Whitetail. Audads are now starting to show up more and more, stinking nasty thangs! Can't wait to crack that first shot off at fur and not paper.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Junebug said:
My 300 ult mag throws three shots touching everytime, the kicker is I'm shooting factory 150 grn. sciroccos. That gun is the bringer of death. When she levels off and the scope is settled it's ballgame. Good luck taking a big axis!

~jb
Those sciroccos are a sweet factory load. I shot them out of my 270 adl and have two touching with one just barley low. I use to also get even better groups out of winchester supreme power point plus's but I guess they changed the load cause my gun doesn't like them anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All we have is the typical Hill Country whitetails. The average weight is around 90 to 125 pounds, but we have shot a few does that dressed well over that. We have land owners around us that shoot any and everything that moves, so the deer have little chance of maturing. The Axis hang out on our land because they know they are generally safe. We shoot our share, but only when we have empty freezers.

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
Cooool..

Hey guys, I haven't spent much time on this board. Glad to see some reloaders over here, cool. I don't shoot the big mags but everything else! Rem VS in .308 is my favorite rifle. :brew:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts