2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the break in done on the Rem 700 chambered in 300 RUM.

Shot Rem ammo Powerlevel 1 as a 150 grn Accutip, Powerlevel 2 as 180 grn Scirocco and Powerlevel 3 as 180 grn Scirocco as well.

All shots from a bench. Cleaned barrel between first 20 shots to break in the gun. After that I cleaned it between groups. I figure I am still polishing the rifling. I am not a Marine sniper. I do not have the targets (too much trouble to go and get them at this range).

At 100 yards Power level 1 sighted in 2" high with a 2" group pretty easily. I did not measure any group with a caliper. Power level 2 shot about 2" high as well but also 2" to the right in a 1 1/2" group shooting the same hole twice and the other an inch off or so. Power level 3 came back to the center but was 3" high and produce multiple groups of less than 1"! I was able to get two with no separation between holes and three with a dangling chad.

I had often read that each barrel liked a particular velocity that matched the harmonics of the barrel. I have heard it described by hand loaders that as they reduced the grns of powder a 1/10th at a time the groups would get tighter and tighter. I figure that the PL 1 and PL 2 I have shoot about the same velocity 2900 ish and PL 3 shoots almost 3300 ish. It is interesting the 350 fps can make that much difference. No chronograph of course so I do not know the exact velocity liked by the gun.

I did feel that Remington did deliver on their marketing ploy for one gun that does it all. They said that one gun with 3 different ammos would shoot within 2" without changing point of aim. The gun does that.

Ill probably use PL 1 for deer and use PL 2 and 3 for Elk, Moose what ever comes along or really long shots. If I have to shoot the lips off a nat I'll use PL 3 no doubt. Not that a nat's lips are that tough but the gun will do it with PL 3.

Next project is to kill some ducks (with the scatter gun of course) till I find the time to see what she does at 200, 300 and 400 yards. I kinda think PL 3 3" high at 100 will be dead on at 300ish and 6-8" low at 400 yards. Single point of aim 25-400 yards (maybe). I will not know until I do the test.

Hope that helps someone else.

R

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ill probably use PL 1 for deer and use PL 2 and 3 for Elk, Moose what ever comes along or really long shots. If I have to shoot the lips off a nat I'll use PL 3 no doubt. Not that a nat's lips are that tough but the gun will do it with PL 3.
Use PL 3 for everything you use the rifle on...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts