2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried it again and ended up streaking home with boat trouble, BUT before that all happened hit two sets of birds just off Houston Point from around Tabs Bay and BAM....hit 'em again!! Caught 5 specs all in the 14 3/4 range, but sure there were larger in the area....lots of birds...water low visibility to 4" dirty, windy, choppy....better the farther up the coast you went, but not much....Several boats out and still the odd board floating so best watch out...hit a board a glancing blow on the bow as I was driving into the sun and only saw at the last minute....apparantly no damage when I looked later on...Got something though loose in my lower unit....and just glad to make it home....ATTENTION...all of us that, on occasion, fish single.....yesterday I stopped and was looking over the side to see if there was any damage after the board....I have a Chaparral rigged for offshore and inland bay fishing and it has tall rails from mid boat to the front like many do....was holding on to the rail and looking over the side when I got too far!! Over I went backwards, but still held on to the rail....chuckle...glad there weren't any cameras around....well as high as my boat is in the front, I'm in the water waist deep, shoes on(thank goodness no money, cell, or keys in pockets)motor running, but not in gear....and the back of the boat is best/lowest for regaining a foothold!! No way to get my bigass up where I am at the time....so flipped around and hand over hand, no problem, to mid boat with more leverage...kicked up and hooked a leg/foot over the side....just for one instant I thought "I'll rest for a second and haul 'er up".....and thought "the longer I stay hanging the less energy I'll have, so gutted it out and heaved...thank goodness....over the side onto the floor in a sloppy wet mess!! Chuckle now....but got to thinking....there was a brisk wind, choppy water...what if I hadn't held on??!! AND I'm a good 2 miles from shore or the oil rigs....NO LIFE JACKET.....may not go again without wearing a life jacket when I'm out by myself....ain't getting any younger and want to get older!! Tight lines....JT from Baytown
PS. Sure would make a funny cartoon!!:slimer:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
God is telling you something! Where a life jacket when alone ALL THE TIME. Better yet don't fish alone out of a boat. Good luck! Like you said what if the boat had been in gear? or stronger winds or water over your head and so on. Man you are lucky, news paper story could have been in the making. Boat found but no fisherman, coast gaurd looking for body. Hope at least a lesson was learned here. Catch a mess of fish but be safe.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I would also fuss at you but I am guilty of doing the same thing. Everytime I read a post like this I change my routine and wear the kill switch and life jackets for a couple of trips and then its back to the bad habits.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got an appreciation of how quickly things can go bad last summer. My friend and I were anchored at half moon reef off TCD just shooting the breeze and soaking some bait after a long morning of fishing. Something large hit his rod and pulled it in the water. Like an idiot, I jumped in to grab his rod. I am relatively young and in good shape. I was on swim team in high school as well. After my unusuccessful attempt at grabbing his rod, I looked up to see the boat 100yrds away upcurrent. No big deal-I will swim back to the boat. No luck. After 5-10min of hard swimming, I was no closer to the boat, in fact, I was further from the boat. Thankfully, I teach all my passengers how to start and drive my boat the first time they go out with me. My buddy was able to start the boat and come pick me up. That could have been really bad if the boat did not start. After that, I can understand how boats are found w/o the owner floating in the bay and they find the body later.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
JT

we launched at thopsons this morn. fished from thompsons to spillway hitting birds in between all morning. wind was up, water choppy, poor vis. we managed 5 keeper trout and somewherearound 60-75 throwbacks under the birds. did not actually fish the spillway since there were a few boats in there. did not look like they were doing much though

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
One of the SOSpenders that activate when in contact with water. No shame in wearing one, I wear a pull activation one when wading the surf due to an "almost" incident.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got to be carefull out there in the bay my wifes like that she dont want me taken my boat out by myself. Going out sunday in my boat to get some of them fish like u been doing lol ive been doing good in the flats by the spillway. hope the boats ok ive had trouble last year in mine i just got the boat when out night fishing and the battery went dead and it was 3am and in the winter time and there its was raining not fun. And to top it off went out agian with my wife and buddy hit some choppy water came back in to roseland spillway stop to fish it and my prop fell off in the summer time it felt like 110 out side lol had to get towed in thanks to the guy in the 24ft cajun. The last time i had my throttle cable snap so i had a bad summer last year but i know its all fixed and new parts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the concern...and yes, learned, hopefully a lesson.....lots of places to wade in Trinity....from McCullum Park to Anahauc Fort to Anahauc Game Preserve...etc....even more via boat....JT from Baytown

1 - 11 of 11 Posts