2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Grew up fishing the nueces river. My family had a cabin there since lo g before I was born. I spent every weekend of my childhood and most if my summers there. I really don't remember my first trip. I can remember fishing for crappie and white bass off of the pier. We used pencil corks back the. To help identify when we got a bite. I do remember my first salt water trip, it was in port bay pretty close to the 881 bridge (now 188 bridge), we were using
cane poles and catching sheepshead. I don't know what happened to the sheepies around there, they sure couldn't be caught with a cane pole today. Lol

Pretty much spent my youth catching bait on cane poles and in a cast net and running trot lines.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Long ago

Remember going less than 10 the big thing was the minnow seine esp in bays .WOW all the neat things in there..It was cane poles for us...Was rice canal about 1/4 m from house and with my kite string /willow stick pole/and hook / spark plug for sinker/or small nut if useing bottle cork ...I could catch enough for a family meal once a week or so.Catfish/perch/bass.Man when it busted that kite string it musta been a monster...cva34

·
15,098 Posts
My grandfather on my dads side took me to the Flagship fishing pier mid to late 60's.
He would set in his chair and drink PEARL beer and I would catch one hard head after another.
I couldndt catch enough.
He even bought me my first rod and reel, I could call my own.
He would never fish.
Guess an old man got plenty of joy watching the smile on a boys face when catching a fish.
Miss you PawPaw....

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Great stories, Redfishr's reminds me of my childhood, my Grandpa spent a many an hour sitting in a chair watching me catch perch out of his pond, we would dig up earthworms under his coffee grinds before we went down to the tank. He died when i was only 13, but i remember those times like yesterday.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was standing on the South Jetty, messing around with whatever 6 year olds mess around with, while my father stood on the end. After a while he hollered out to me to come over, and hold his rod while he went to the bathroom. Not thinking a thing of it, I agreed. The minute he left sight a big tarpon crashed the bait, and about ripped the rod out of my hand. My father came back to a smoked drag, a spooled reel, and an addicted little kid.

·
still casting for that 30" sow..
1,158 Posts
too many memories......all good

honestly it's hard to place my earliest fishing memories......there's pictures of me crawling all over my uncle's and grandpa's boats way before I can actually recall. My best an earliest memories are those spent with my grandpa up in Sedalia, Mo. and the summertimes we spent all over the ozarks. Locally are my memories of fishing with my uncle (Amos Wells) one of the best fisherman I've ever known.

He was the former president of the Houston BASS chapter and a prominent fishing guide on the texas coast for many years....he was real close to the legendary "Plugger" (Rudy Grigar) and we spent numerous days visiting "ole plugger" out on the Chandeleur Islands.

That's where I met a gang of the coolest "old salts" I've ever been blessed to be around.

My uncle introduced me to some of his buddies.....Plugger, Lefty Kreh, Joe Dogget, Flip Pallot and a real cool guy a little closer to my age named Jose Wejebe (later to be nicknamed the Spanish Fly).....I still remember being kindly tormented and harassed by those guys.....I was the "beer boy"!!!! Good job for a 12yr old Texas boy.....I had no appreciation at the time of who these guys were.....they just all came out to be with the "plugger".....with age comes wisdom and now I Thank God my uncle took me under his wing and let me experience things very few people ever get too.

About five or six years ago @ an icast show I stopped at the Shimano booth where I reintroduced myself to Jose and Flip.....and they all just started laughing and yelling "beer boy"..... good humor and good times!

By the way those guys literally slayed the fish......I caught so many fish my chest was bruised for months!

speckcaster:texasflag

·
\m/
1,620 Posts
my dad passed away in '72 when i was 7 but i still remember bank fishin the southeast corner of the galveston causeway w/him catchin specks. he's still with me when i fish. this pic (if i downloaded it right) is from 1971 w/my little sis.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.