2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the first fishing memory you have?

I remember growing up in Fannett Texas and staying the night at a buddy's house of mine, we were in 5th grade. I woke up early the next morning and heard his brother getting his tackle gear ready. I asked where he was going and he said "fishin'" with a smile on his face. I asked if I could tag along and unannoyed he said yes!

He grabbed a fishing pole for me (an old zebco and uglystick) and we headed out on foot. Took us about an hour to get where we were walking but when we got there...OH BOY was it a beautiful sight! The sun coming up, birds singing, and the water as smooth as glass reflecting the orange and pink colors from the sky. I remember him putting on a spoon (at the time I had no idea what that was lol) and we began to fish!

At first the day went by slow, tons of hang ups and me almost hooking my buddy's brother in the face lol. As the day passed and he pulled lunch out of a bag he brought, things seemed to pick up! BOOM! My "spoon" gets swallowed and all I can think is YEESSS I have a fish! So i reel him in, not even setting the hook. We get him on the bank and it was a beautiful large mouth bass. My friend's brother (who I felt like was my friend now) taught me on the next one how to set a hook. One after the other we pulled bass out of the pond.

I remember walking home that evening and my buddy running up to us asking me where I had been. As I held a christmas tree of fish on a stringer into the air I shouted back "FISHIN"!

------------------------------------------------------------

What is your first fishing memory?

·
Banned
138 Posts
My first memory is when my grandfather took me to the Rod and Gun Club pond when I was 7. My parents had just divorced and he was taking care of us kids while my dad was in Nam. We flipped over an old flat bottomed boat, and rowed it out to the middle of the pond. He showed me how to hook a worm on, and cast. We were catfish fishing. While waiting for a catfish to hit my bait, a small mouse ran out from under a seat and right up my pantleg. I freaked, my grandfather started laughing. I grabbed the mouse before it could bite me, and all I could think of was kill it before it bites me. I squeezed that mouse till it would not move again. Dropped my pants, and pulled the mouse out. Pulled my pants back up, and asked my grandfather if it was good bait. He said "Try it". I did, and caught my first bass ever. It weighed in at 4 pounds from what he said. We continued fishing for catfish till we had enough for dinner and some for the freezer.
I fished with him quite a bit till I went into the Navy. I still miss him, and he passed on in 1990.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have been fishing since I could hold a pole. My dad used to tell a story of me with a small cane pole being pulled into the San Benard river by a flounder. I would not let go of my pole so he pulled us (the flounder and me) out by my diaper.

Still love those flounder.

GOD Bless,
John

·
Gods blessings surround us.
12,724 Posts
Holding a cane pole over turtle bayou than looking at the cane poles up in the rafters in the garage every day till we went again .I love you Dad.

·
Registered
758 Posts
When i was around 6 or so i caught my first fish that i distinctly remember (rat red) dragging a dead shrimp along the canals in sea isle. I was elated and to this day i love them reds.

Russ

·
I Beat Anorexia
452 Posts
Turtle bayou,Sheldon Resevioir,Lake Houston,Roll Over Pass even Addicks Dam,The Pleasure Pier,Brazos River,Trinity River.....circa, late 1950s-1960s.....I saw a boat on Lake Houston with two 25hp Johnson's on it ,WOW!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I am extremely fortunate to have had a Father and Grandfather that took me fishing beginning when I was just 5. We fished East Matty mostly and some West Matty but it did not matter because fish were everywhere. Lots of 2 or 3 day campouts on the bay. Fishing Brown Cedar Cut when it was wide and deep all the way down to Greens Cut in West Matty when it was still wide open to the Gulf. And of course the River. Fishing during the day and gigging at night makes a young one sleep well under the stars.
I'm sure I understand that song that says "these are the good old days" now.
And they were and they are.

Solar Screens, Roll Down Shades for porches, pergolas, gazebos etc.
Shutters & Blinds, Siding & Windows
2cooler discounts
Call Mike 713-446-3249

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Sixth grade in Lubbock, my buddy Mike came by on his bicycle to wake me up. I'd tied a string to my wrist and ran it out the window the night before, and he tugged on it about 5 a.m. Maxey Lake was about 20 blocks away. We headed that way on bikes with our Zebcos, but Lubbock had a curfew in those days. We soon noticed a cop car skulking a block away, so we rounded a corner, hid the bikes and dove into someone's cedar hedge. The cop drove up and scanned the bushes with his spotlight for a long time, but we ate dirt and he never saw us. A little later we reached the lake and fished it at sunrise, catching a number of fine bullhead catfish.

·
Registered
886 Posts
my dad renting a wooden jon boat at Louis bait camp and putting his 15 hp Johnson motor in it and we take off to fish West Bay.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It was like 1967 or 68.....I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. My grandparents lived in E Tx just south of Woodville. There were several man made lakes that were all stocked with perch, bass and catfish. The time I remember is when my grandpa took me early one morning and when we got to the lake he flipped the boat over and sure enoug there was a water mocassin that he killed with the boat paddle. He rowed us out to the spot he wanted to fish and we started fishing for crappie with minnows. Long story short......I caught 3 and he caught 1 and from that day forward I was IN when it came to fishin with my grandpa.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can't remember the first. Maybe Dad and Grampa at lake Ouchita in Ark. Dad transferred to Panama City, bought a boat and became obsessed with trolling for Kingfish. I tell ya I was King pro by the time I was 9. Still love that blistering run. Wish they ate better!

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
I honestly can't remember, Dad started taking me fishing with him when I was about 2-3. By the time I was 5 or 6 I was running drop lines, rebaiting hooks and playing with catfish. I do remember one trip to the Guadalupe River sitting in the boat on a sandbar catching channel cats for dropline bait. I was probably about 4 because I remember several trips while I was still in Kindergarten. Cool thing is I fixed up the same boat we fished in then and its my river boat now. I have pictures of me standing next to yellowcats that could have swallowed me. Good old days when Pops was still alive, I will never forget any of it.

http://www.fishingscout.com/anglers/SmackDaddy

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I'm like Smack, really can't remember the first time. My earliest memories is fishing for bass at my Dad's deer lease, putting a minnow on a hook and waiting for the cork to go under. We also river fished alot so i had plenty of practice catching bait for the lines. I didn't hit the salt til i was in my teens, my Dad was a freshwater only kinda guy. Hopefully my kids will have great memories also.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Cane pole fishing in the irrigation canals draining L.Okeechobee in S. Fl., my Mom was a trooper deluxe! Got my first Johnson spincast at ~9

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
I am like several others. I cannot remember the first time I fished. I was probably 2,3, or 4. As my Dad used to say, "I showed her how to fish and now she is completely ruined!' I was hooked and I haven't shaken it yet (and probably never will). I remember a lot of cane poles, dough baits I made with a piece of bread and catalpa worms when I freshwater fished. When we went to Galveston, the water was more clear than it is today. When I got older, I fished several lakes, mostly, Livingston, Sam Rayburn, and Toledo Bend. Saltwater venues were Galveston (mostly the jetties and East Bay), East Matty, and Port O'Connor. I thanked Dad for teaching me to hunt and fish and his answer was "Honey, we had to. We didn't have two nickels to rub together".
TGIF means Thank God I Fish!

·
Unorthodox Millenial
8,152 Posts
I don't remember my first.

I remember fishing at the condos on pleasure island and I probably was 5. I have a picture of that day.

I remember setting lines with my dad and I made him take me with him at night and i had to watch him check them from the truck.

I remember snagging something at anahuac I couldn't budge with my snoopy pole. My dad and grandpaw thought I was hung up until it ran and cut me off. I was livid because he didn't help, haha.

I remember fishing the Walter Humphrey pier the first night it opened. If I have caught a fish on that pier I've caught a thousand.

I remember tearing up reds with a zebco chasing the birds in Sabine. Have a picture of that too. One time I tandem rigged two gold spoons. I hooked a fish and during the fight another hit the other spoon. It felt like a freight train haha. Snapped the 10lb mono of course. All we stocked for bait was silver and gold spoons, touts, and maybe a rattle trap or two.

My aunt has a cabin on Chinquapin in wadsworth and we had many great nights there.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
A black man who was in prison for murder carried me and the tackle to the edge of the water where he sat me down, baited my hook and cast my line for me. I got to watch my great-grandmother land a redfish. We went many more times.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts