2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the offshore Wicked Winter Tourney is going on for tuna and wahoo and whatever, I was wondering if anyone wanted a "bragging rights" thread for winter state-water snapper?

Nobody knows how long Texas can keep its year-round red snapper fishery, and in the winter we should be seeing some snapper coming in, so let's celebrate it a little!

No cash or prizes unless you want to wager on your own pots and Calcuttas. Largest single fish, heaviest 4-fish stringer, and so forth. No lie detector tests or fees, just bragging rights. Be sure to include kids under 16 for those special memories, and for seniors over 65.

No offense, but you guys like Rik, Hogs, and Charlie hafta post 'em up like you're in the Pro-Am division or something!

But the idea is to spread the word what a wonderful resource we have, get some more artificial reefing down in state waters, and fish them winter snapper sows, maybe share some tactics and stuff. It can be quite enjoyable on a still day in between fronts, ya know, no big deal.

I have heard that arties sometimes work better in the cold water sometimes, too. That's a tough category, I would think.

Whaddya think?

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts

:bounce: Im N!!!! :bounce:

You B da Superintendent Swells

A friend of mine just put on something similar for flounder fishing. Its several times annual..

Its all for fun and its all on the merit/respect/honor basis/tell the truth or rot in HE LL-system. :hairout:

All that means is :

U cheat and you'll answer to the big man upstairs someday for not B'n nice

Here's a prize-- (maybe some others could make stuff or donate stuff)

I'd be glad to make a 2010 Champion Sow Snapper Catcher receiver hitch as a prize. If someone could donate me some flat stainless plate about 1/8-1/4 thick couple of ft square, I'll make one out of stainless, otherwise, it will be mild steel needing a rustoleium paint job... (I dont paint)

Heres one I made a couple of years ago out of mild that I painted... A stainless would look better tho... I made it just a bit to large..
redsnapper receiver hitch old 001.jpg

redsnapper receiver hitch old 002.jpg

Now, this is how the Local Flounder contest went... You have to be entered first, The catcher had to post up a picture of the fish being held up by a hopefully electronic scale to where you could see the weight... As far as I know, there has never ever been a person lie and cheat to win that fun tourney... Its more fun that way. Its only a $10 entry, so its not worth it taking a chance of burn'n in He LL for ly'n:cool:

Heres the stainless receiver hitch I made for this years flounder tourney.. and a 2cooler won it...

http://www.southtxoutdoors.com/download/file.php?id=741&mode=view

Heres the thread from this years tourney they just finished.

If folks will just be truthfull and truly catch it in state waters themselves, it could be alot of fun. Plus, its that time of the year for the Big'ns to move into state water...

Remember, if you fib and catch it in federal waters or someone else catchs it and you show it, Santa Clause is watch'n and will bring you a box of switches next Xmas :biggrin:

The "im typing at work so I dont have my smileys to post" Hog

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
The picture of the stainless hitch wouldnt load up on the first post, so here it is again.
flounder award 09.jpg

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Charlies boat always runs good. Its the operator that has problems.

Regarding Texas snapper fishing I think I went once last year and every spot I had was not there, gone, after Ike so I wouild have to start all over again. Oh well thats fishing. And I have to admit that I have never seen a hard spot in Texas waters at least out of Galveston and have neveer caught a sow in Texas waters. Nice fish but no sow's

Charlie

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Like the idea!

Charlies boat always runs good. Its the operator that has problems.

Regarding Texas snapper fishing I think I went once last year and every spot I had was not there, gone, after Ike so I wouild have to start all over again. Oh well thats fishing. And I have to admit that I have never seen a hard spot in Texas waters at least out of Galveston and have neveer caught a sow in Texas waters. Nice fish but no sow's

Charlie
Well the tourn. sounds like fun! Big problem as I see it: Mansfield and other southern ports do have Sows and deeper water and lots more real state water spots.
They have a clear antvantage. Mabie split upper & lower coast.
What do you think Sammie? Rik

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the tourn. sounds like fun! Big problem as I see it: Mansfield and other southern ports do have Sows and deeper water and lots more real state water spots.
They have a clear antvantage. Mabie split upper & lower coast.
What do you think Sammie? Rik
Hmm, I just realized that a statewide tourney wouldn't exactly be very fair to y'all up north darn near ta Yankee land. ;) Joking, everyone!

So north/south reporting zones might be the way to go. Port A to SPI I guess is the honey spot, so that might be a distinction. I know there are some great spots north and east of Port Mansfield, within range of Port A.

But red snapper don't cruise the flats like down here? We could be in 50 to 80 feet of water and mark fish and drift back over them, no real structure as I could tell. Maybe it just ain't deep enough within 9 miles up north.

And my brother and I played some near-shore rigs off Freeport somewhere in March, chummed up red color to the top, and freelined some mediums. Hmm, maybe that was just outside of 9. I think there's more roaming snapper on the inshore flats than ya think though, just my opinion.

The idea is just to have some fun! Good way to keep the boat tuned up over the winter, or just get out on the water on the stray flat, sunny day. Extra points for taking out kids, soldiers, wives, and grandparents. Them are your own braggin' rights for sure. :)
sammie

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
So north/south reporting zones might be the way to go. Port A to SPI I guess is the honey spot, so that might be a distinction. I know there are some great spots north and east of Port Mansfield, within range of Port A.

Sounds good! Can I enter both? LOL! As it is honor system & braggin rights fishing in winter weather, can the tourn. last for a few months?
I like the idea! Rik

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Even up the odds. Port A to SPI only 3 miles out, Port O to Sabine, we get the
whole 9.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even up the odds. Port A to SPI only 3 miles out, Port O to Sabine, we get the
whole 9.
LOL, you're a tough act to follow. But hey, if us boys and gals from Down South can catch legal snappa within 3, we'll be sure to post 'em up! :wink:

As to how long this goes ... well when do people head offshore again, and the inshore sow snappa run is over? I was thinking beginning of May, plenty o' time to high-grade your longest or heaviest fish and stringer pictures.

Remember, it's up to you to convince us confused fishermen how big your catch was ... ain't no rules or fees in this deal, just fun. What ya do between the LEOs and bettin' with your friends if your bidness! :cheers:

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
It would be better if the 2cool part of it was left off the name, Sammie. Texas State Snapper Shootout or something like that would be better for me, personally.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hogs, the few reports I'm getting are red snappa to 13 inches at Port Mansfield jetties in about 30 foot of water ... very few if any at SPI jetties ... certainly not keepers over 15". I never caught any and I jetty fish quite a bit, although mangrove can be thick as thieves sometime (and baby jewfish).

Bill Fisher - them kind o' snappa get high graded into those over 21 and those under 21. You can tell by their wrist bands and sometime a big black "X" on their right ... ugh ... fin.

Do we need to expand this to mangrove snappa to make it more better, reckon?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would be better if the 2cool part of it was left off the name, Sammie. Texas State Snapper Shootout or something like that would be better for me, personally.
So noted, chief. It's really not even a tourney, and nobody is sanctioning or sponsoring this. Not even little ole Sammy.

We had a problem like that in the Bahamas, where there were government tourney rules, $500 boat fees, onsite fish cops, and the whole 9 yards. We blew that off and said "catch your own dinner and show any pics ya want."

Kinda unfortunate, but it works out best that way.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
How about we all just meet halfway, bring firewood and beer, and we tell Snapper stories till were blue in the face, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts