2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright all you 2cool fish fryin experts, help me out. :confused:

This weekend I fried (couldn't have done it without ya Stan!) about 40 lbs. of fillets for a family get togather. Used my old crawfish burner, cast iron deep skillet w/basket, temp gauge (tried to stay close to 350 degs), one of those cool breading bowls, you know the ones, 2 sides with a screen in the middle (don't know how I ever got by without one of those, they are 2cool), and a name brand VEGTABLE OIL.

I had to change my oil out about every 6 or 8 lbs of fillets, nothing new here but it sure is a pain changing that oil and time consuming! I've been told the peanut oil will give you better service but costs nearly 3 times as much at my local MB store. Any of you have any experience with this? Is it worth the cost? Any tips or tricks to stretch out your oil? I figure if it's out there, someone in here oughta know about it! :confused:

Thanks ahead! Fletch

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
For every 2 or 3 baskets of fish, cook some taters between, the taters really help keep the oil cleaner....

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Badhabit said:
For every 2 or 3 baskets of fish, cook some taters between, the taters really help keep the oil cleaner....
You de man BH...Thanks :brew:

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Changing the oil?

Did you say you had to change the oil every 8# or so? I use a fine screen strainer with a handle to dip out the breading residue while I am cooking and usually cook 45-60 lbs of seasoned cornmeal breaded catfish fillets without a problem. I bought this strainer from Ace Restarurant supply on the southbound Gulf Freeway at Woodrigde. I recently switched from peanut to canola oil for my fish fry's due to the cost and have not noticed any appreciable change in quality or durability.

When you are through, Acadamy sells an oil strainer system that works well after the fish fry. Be sure to buy the recommended funnel with it because it is a special design that helps the flow of hot oil

Good luck.

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re: Changing the oil

Chuck,
Your saying that by keeping the residual corn meal out of the grease I'll see a big difference? Allways heard that it was desirable but I never thought it could make THAT kind of difference! Thanks, Fletch :walkingsm

·
Registered
815 Posts
You absolutely want to combine what Chuck and BH suggested. Get a fine mesh strainer and you can cook lots and lots of fillets without changing the oil. Otherwise, the cornmeal settles to the bottom and burns.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts