2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2000 model 28' Hydra Sport with 250 Evinrudes. Any body have one of these can give some input one way or another?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the 2000 26' vector, I love the boat and wished I had the 28'. Holds lots of fuel and is a great ride. I get around 1.7-1.9 mpg with the 200's. Can get a little better if I keep the rpm's down, but when it's time to go home it's time to go home !

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a bit worried about them Evinrudes. Have not messed with them much. Always been partial to Yamaha.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I can tell you that many of my charter friends have gone to the E-Tec, Honda, or others because Yamaha engines are such high maintenance ... and these guys put on over 200 days fishing a year.

As to your specific Evinrudes, I think it would be a wise investment to pay a certified mechanic 50 to 80 bucks to take a look, check the compression, and so forth. These people know their stuff and can give you an unbiased opinion.

As to the hull, my opinion is that slightly heavier is far more stable - and on a Hydro-Sport, the transom is never going going to fail. The 28' is the primo size.

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
if this is the one at american yahct sales it is a very nice boat. be carefull with american yahct sales though they will not test run a boat evan if you are paying cash, offer to pull it to the water, pay for all the fuel. still will not test run it for you. i would never buy a boat, car, truck, motorcycle or anything used that i could not test drive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it has fichts i would look closly at the warranty history if you have access to pull it up, those motors are either flawless or trouble. Much like the HPDI yamaha, you love em or hate em. American yacht sales are a different breed of people. Guy told us to make a offer on a boat, 31 contender that they were asking 89000 for, so we came in at 20k less and the guy got mad and acted insulted!! LOL I told him you said make an offer, i was expecting a counter offer but he just said we are too far apart. Anywho, hope that helps

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is the one at American. I would expect to have a good mechanic check it out. I imagine that will cost several hundred to be in depth.
(The outboard guy's charge more per hour than we do!)
I made a low ball offer on a 31' Contender in Florida at a repo place and they won't even return my calls. Thought I would see how bad the bank wanted to get it off the books. Evidently not bad enough. That or the offer was never even forwarded to them.
Guess I will go look at it tomorrow and see if I want to make a run at it.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
My BIL's boat has 250 FICHTS on it and we took the proper steps as far as having them looked by a mechanic, diagnostic, histories etc. After all of that they've still been totaly unrealible. I'm going with the opinion that buying any used outboards is a total **** shoot and finding a outboard mechanic that won't rip you off may be even more of a **** shoot. Good luck on the purchase, very solid platform.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hydra Sport is a very well built boat. I ran one for five years. Never had any type of structural problem and I don't think the bilge pump ever came on once unless I was scrubbing and washing down the area the bilge pump is in. Everything else drains overboard. The boat rides good for a mono-hull and can take some nasty sea conditions. I have been in contenders as well. The contenders would dip and take them over the bow while trolling, not once have I ever buried the bow or took one over on the Hydra. Great boat for the money, you can't beat it. I ran evinrude fichts for five years and ran evinrude etecs for 4 years. Both had a share of problems but that is from everyday use. If you plan on putting 100-200 hours per year or less you will probably not have many issues in a 1 year time frame. One good thing about the e-rudes is that they would usually always give you fair warning in being that something was going to go out soon. You just have to learn the noises.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I run one now and agree with a lot of what Damon is saying. Mine is a 2000 year model and I am betting that the engines are the FICHTS because that was the common pairing back then. My boat had FICHTS on it when I bought it. My advice would be to buy the boat if it is one that you are seriously considering, they are great boats. The only thing that I would caution you on is the FICHTS.

When I bought mine they had just over 200 hours on them and when they ran, they ran fine. Fast engines that were light on fuel. But when they start giving you problems, be ready to replace them. Finding someone to work on them is a pain as is finding parts once you have to get into the engine or the electronics.

Most of the boats in this year model went for good prices on the used market because of the power. I would not hesitate to buy it if the price was right knowing that you have a 50/50 shot of having to repower in the near future (like I did)

·
Registered
318 Posts
american ys

i had some dealings with ays about 2 months ago and aint got anything good to say about them. after almost making the deal, including financing set up, they still held out on letting me run the boat. at the last resort they agreed to let me run it but acted like, WHY would you want to do this? i ended up buying a new boat and the dealer had no problem with a test run. go figure.

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
i had some dealings with ays about 2 months ago and aint got anything good to say about them. after almost making the deal, including financing set up, they still held out on letting me run the boat. at the last resort they agreed to let me run it but acted like, WHY would you want to do this? i ended up buying a new boat and the dealer had no problem with a test run. go figure.
I was going to pay cash for a boat there and they still refused to test run. No one would buy a new car, used car, boat or mtorcycle without some sort of a test drive. American yahct sales can kiss my arse and aim for the brown spot.

·
Sea kitten serial killer
1,992 Posts
I know it's not a 28' er, but I have been running my 1996 22' ocean skiff cc for 3 years, and it's just as solid now as it was new. best boat I've ever owned & I bought used. I've had it in 6 footers off Port A, & like damon said, never stabbed the bow.
It's been re-powered w/ a 2000 Ficht 175 and after all the talk, this is the most problem-free, no smokin-est, best fuel mileage outboard I've owned. 1 issue in 150hrs
& that was a bad crank sensor connector.
my only issue w/ the boat is pretty typical for rolled-edge boats-not enough storage!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a Hydrasport Sportfisher with 250 Fichts, PM me if you want. Love the boat, would repower if I could afford to, most of my engine problems have been computer issues BUT have cost me a lot of time on the water. When the Fichts are properly maintained they run great. My brother (Starlin Marlin) runs my boat with me, is meticulous with the motors, and I hope to get several more seasons out of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts