2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best .270 cal bolt action for the money, I want a nice wood engraved stock, I want to pay less than 600 for the gun so I can spend my money on a bad "a" Nikon scope. Is this a good choice for Texas hunting?

Thanks,

Captain Kyle

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Glad to here it. I was looking for a good rifle to hunt Texas deer and shoot hogs with. I also like the 270 because the ammo is pretty easy on the wallet.
I really like the Tikka. It is made by Beretta right? The Vanguard Deluxe is a gorgeous gun but I want to be able to go the extra mile on the scope so I think I will go with the Tikka.

Thanks for the quick responses! This is like 20 mins!

Captain Kyle

This is the gun:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=90811

This is the scope:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=108362

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
I'm a fan of big green (Rem.) but all chioces listed are great guns. I have to admit I've had my eye on the Tikka for a while. Imported by Beretta, but made by Sako. I have a custom, built on a Sako action (L691) and it is rock solid...... Post up when you get it and give us a field test report. lol.........

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now my stepdad has a 700 rem 30-06 and i don't like it very much. maybe its the scope its a bushnell banner 2-7 I think. I can shoot at best 4-5 inch groups at 100 with it. Thats not acceptable for me. I would take that at 400 but not 100.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Capain Kyle,

I will guarantee you that your 4-5" groups are not because of your Remington. I would bet that I could take the gun right now, take off that cheap scope, and shoot well under 2" with open sights. Put a good leupold on it, and it will shoot 1".

What's that statement about lipstick on a pig? In this case the scope is the pig, and the gun is the lipstick. It could also be your scope mount. Did you torque down your scope mounts and rings with about 15-20 pounds???

THE JAMMER
Captain Kyle said:
Now my stepdad has a 700 rem 30-06 and i don't like it very much. maybe its the scope its a bushnell banner 2-7 I think. I can shoot at best 4-5 inch groups at 100 with it. Thats not acceptable for me. I would take that at 400 but not 100.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
What he said, and that's a fact. There's a reason that many of the famous professional gun makers start with a remington barreled action. I used to sell tons of them when I was a wholesaler.

THE JAMMER

Redfishr said:
Rem 700 out of the box is the best rifle for accuracy and for the money, you'll never beat it.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
If I were getting one gun strictly for hunting Texas whitetails, it would probably me a Remington Model 7 in 7mm 08. I have one and it shoots every load I put into under 1 1/2" and most are under an inch. It is short, 20" bbl, and easy to handle in a blind, plus it's very light. With 120-140 gr Barnes tipped XXX's it will do the duty.

THE JAMMER

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THE JAMMER said:
If I were getting one gun strictly for hunting Texas whitetails, it would probably me a Remington Model 7 in 7mm 08. I have one and it shoots every load I put into under 1 1/2" and most are under an inch. It is short, 20" bbl, and easy to handle in a blind, plus it's very light. With 120-140 gr Barnes tipped XXX's it will do the duty.

THE JAMMER
One of my best friends shoots a 7 mag, I can shoot really well with it. I just have heard from various people I hunt with, one of them a pro guide that has like every cal rifle out there, that I will become very comfortable with the 270 and end up liking it better. I was all about big guns, I was considering a .338 but he talked me out of it.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
....338 is just too much for Texas whitetail or any whitetail for that matter. More suited to moose or elk. Also, a 7mm 08 is different than 7mm mag. It is a .308 case necked down to a 7mm and isn't a magnum at all, however it is ample medicine for Texas WT. as is the 270.......I tend to agree with the folks about the 700 accuracy. It should easily be capable of 1-1/2 groups with factory loads. Much better than that can be had, with some serious reloading and some minor gunwork.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
That's the BDL, but I don't think that 22" bbl is accurate, and I would sure try to find a different REmington model with a satin finish on the stock, not gloss that is if you want to stay with wood. By the way if you get a wood stock, or any kind, make sure you get it floated and bedded- especially with wood.

THE JAMMER
Captain Kyle said:
Is this the sweet Remington yall are talking about:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=86185

It sure looks nice!

It seems like it would actually be the better choice than the tikka after having so many recommendations for it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts