2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend while in South Padre we saw the new 27' Shallow Sport cat hull with twin E-Techs. I saw the boat idling down the cut and it looked sweet but when the boat hammered down and took a hard left over the grass I couldn't believe it. The guide we were with said it was the owner of Shallow Sport and that it would run in 6-8" of water. Not sure what they cost but I could certainly see it being a popular boat for those of us that like to fish the bay and the gulf!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
It is called the latitude, I think you can get them for relatively cheap but there is a waiting list, it is more of a trimaran. Shallowgal posted a video of one getting up from a dead stop in under 12". They are a crossover type boat, shallow and offshore.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Don't know if this video will work or not, but this is a shot of the plug for the mold of our new twin engine 27' Shallow Sport. This particular boat has about 65 gal of fuel and about 800 pounds of men on board, and they set it down in less than a foot of water. It popped right up on plane like a dream.

Lovely.

www.shallowsportboats.com

P.S. We also have a 21' modified V hull and a 24' mod V that will as shallow, if not shallower than many bay boats, and also handle 6 footers offshore all in the same day. Check it out.
Attached Files
2003_0101newtruck0010.AVI (1.59 MB, 78 views)

·
Gig Em! '94
1,388 Posts
Even in a fifty footer you are not gonna be comfortable in 6' seas in the Gulf. A 24' modified v bay boat? You might not sink if you have the skill and some luck, but you're not fishing.

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Cru said:
Even in a fifty footer you are not gonna be comfortable in 6' seas in the Gulf. A 24' modified v bay boat? You might not sink if you have the skill and some luck, but you're not fishing.
6' Seas, 6 seconds apart...no fishing for sure..

·
Registered
551 Posts
shallow sport

Can you imagine how stuck that boat would get if you shut it down in about 6" or less water?

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
Well in the words of fast food , no drive through's with that bad boy!! Sounds like something else I've heard before hmmmm?? Nice boat if ya got the room for it!!

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
If they made that in a 24' version I'd buy it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
TPDCan you imagine how stuck that boat would get if you shut it down in about 6" or less water?
Actually, yes I can. Well, we technically didn't shut it down, but.....We were wake boarding off the back of that boat in the channel in the bay (pretty irresponsible, I know) and our not-too-experienced driver cut a hard left over the sandbar in front of Louie's at SPI. Engine jumped up as we plowed into the bar going about 25 mph. The wakeboarder was standing in ankle deep water. Ooops.

About 20 minutes of me and my fiance pushing and a few nasty oyster cuts on our feet later we got her off the sandbar. Luckily the entire ordeal was witnessed by about 100 people at Wahoos, and we all got several free rounds of drinks from it.

I do not, however, recommend trying to duplicate this act of stupidity just for the free drinks.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
CruEven in a fifty footer you are not gonna be comfortable in 6' seas in the Gulf. A 24' modified v bay boat? You might not sink if you have the skill and some luck, but you're not fishing.
I didn't say it was comfortable, I said it could handle it. Trust me, with the hangover I was sporting, "comfortable" was far from what I was experiencing. Plus, we didn't catch ****, until we heading inshore and got a few nice trout in the flats.

·
Registered
690 Posts
TPD said:
Can you imagine how stuck that boat would get if you shut it down in about 6" or less water?
One thing about the shallow water cat hulls -- they sit more level on the PVC pipes when it is time to roll them off into deeper water :smile:

·
Registered
551 Posts
shallow sports

I took mine (18' sprint) about 200 yards onto a 2" deep flat in St Charles a few years ago. When I stepped out of the boat the water didn't touch my ankles. It took us two hours to get it off. An air boat came by and tried to help but the only thing that really worked was a lot of grunting. We had one push pole that didn't seem to help much. I guess the difference is that the cat hull, being much heavier, would stop before it got too far up on a bar. Once I realized I was on it, I hammered it until it wound'nt go anymore. I miss that boat.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
shallowgal said:
I didn't say it was comfortable, I said it could handle it. Trust me, with the hangover I was sporting, "comfortable" was far from what I was experiencing. Plus, we didn't catch ****, until we heading inshore and got a few nice trout in the flats.
I thought Rex's daddy designed another model. Back in the 90's or so, he built a one off cuddy cabin cat hull didn't he? I swore i saw a cuddy cabin cat with a fly bridge and twin engines fishing the east side of 3 islands ( around unnessisery island). That was wild! Didn't his dad invent the falcon?? That 27 footer looks alot like the old falcon but, larger and more gunnel.
--Hop
Born-n-raised in PI..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts