2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a 257 Weatherby and would like some feedback on this caliber. Is this a good weapon for South Texas Deer? What is the largest animal that should be hunted with this gun?

·
Banned
428 Posts
It is great for South Texas deer. I would feel fine shooting mule deer with it and maybe elk but I also trust my shot placement more than others. I wouldn't try to shoot an elk in the vitals with it but I could drop one in its tracks shooting it in the neck.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I inherited a 257 Weatherby and would like some feedback on this caliber. Is this a good weapon for South Texas Deer? What is the largest animal that should be hunted with this gun?
NO good...you should trade it off to me for a good deer gun...got an excellent 30-30 I'd trade you for it!!!!!!!

Just joking...I would trade,but you have an excelent Texas deer gun...only thing wrong with it is the cost of ammo...and the fact that it is yours instead of mine.

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
Outstanding Caliber

The 257 Weatherby Magnum was in FACT Mr Weatherby's Favorite Caliber. He Loved the caliber so much and had so much Faith in it, he actually took every single Large Game Animal on the entire Northern Continent with that exact Caliber. Dont think i would hunt anything larger than a mule deer with it(personal opinion). Great gun to be handed down. My brother has one he recently replaced the Barrell on because he finally shot it out. The gun was/is 44 years old. and probably had over 3,000 rounds shot thru it. it still shot 2 inch groups, but years ago, i shot that gun many of times and she shot 1/2 inch groups easily.

·
Registered
187 Posts
tsoetaert, this is one of my replies to a thread on this site. about Weatherby vs. Rem. 700

Thats awsome I bet that is one hell of a rifle and an awsome round. My wife and I got a .257 Weatherby Mag in a Vangaurd Delux for a wedding gift. I am happy with it mainly because its beautiful and free. I have shot 2 different rounds thru it, a 117gr Round Nose, 115gr ballistic tip, both rounds held 3/4 inch groups @ 100 yards. It sucks that only Nosler and Weatherby are the only people who make the rounds for that rifle (very high $$ rounds). On the other hand my buddys 25-06 in a Rem. 700 ADL is a tack driver. he shoots 117gr. Hornady. That rifle is VERY ACCURATE. That .257 is like a 25-06 on steriods but does not seem to be as accurate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the Replys

I have shot it several times at the range and I shot one deer with it about 2 years ago when my brother still owned it and I enjoy shooting it. I am on a new lease in South Texas and I told my 11 yr old I wanted him to put away his 243 and start shooting this so I don't have to hopefully track as far. He shot it three times at the range and I could tell it was a little painful for him, but after the third time at 100 yds and a grouping of about 2- 3 inches he said he was good. This past weekend I pulled it out and he just smiled and said when I'm looking through that scope and the big boy walks out I will forget about the gun. I just smiled. I will post pics hopefully when he shoots the MUY Grande.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Excellent caliber for any South Texas game. One of the flattest, if not the flattest shooting guns on the market today.
You'll love it, and if not list it here and you'll get run over with offers to buy it.

I'm with most of the others, Elk would probably be the largest animal I'd tackle with it. But as was said here shot placement is crucial and the Elk would be what I'd feel comfortable shooting.

Great gun enjoy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
NO!!!!! Ignore what everybody has said good about this gun and get ahold of me and I will help you get rid of this weapon, Just Kidding, Great caliber I have 1 myself and Love it, it is what I mainly shhot. Good Luck

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
257 Weatherby Mag is the best cartridge for deer ever made. Look at the ballistics, feel the recoil and notice the group size. THere are magic guns and calibers and this is one of them. A buddy of mine lucked into one and then could not figure out why I offered to buy it from him so he would not let go of it. Someone famous shot a 257 WBM on African Safari I am pretty sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Corbon loads a barnes bullet in 115 grain on their website $94 but you can find on midway for $83 (sold out) and I bought last two on barnes website for $83. I have rem. 700 cdl and groups great with barnes bullets. The only other Barnes is made by weatherby at a 100 grains might find at carter's in Houston but have to put up with grumpy salesmen NOT WORTH IT!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Great cartridge and a good reason to start hand loading. Other than that only down side is noise and meat destruction at close range. Worthwhile trade offs if you might be shooting at longer ranges.

It's one of the best possible rounds for long senderos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts