2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys who shoot this rifle tried these yet? One of my buddies who has Mark V Ultralightweight with the 24" barrel can't get them to group for anything. He went back to the 117gr roundnose rounds and had a 4 shot 1.2" group.

Just wondering if anyone else with a 26" barrel Mark V like mine has had any luck with these before I shell out $70 plus tax for the experiment.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have several .25 calibers rifles. I have loaded those bullets for the .257 Roberts, .257 Roberts Ackley Imp., 25-06 Rem., 25-06 Ackley Imp., 250 Ackley Imp.. They shoot well in all of those. The .250 can group 5 round in an inch at 300 yards. Some rifles just do not like certain bullets. I have one 25-06 that loves Trophy Bonded bullets and will shoot under an inch with them. A good friend has the same rifle ( Remington Sendero ) that will not shoot 2" groups using those bullets. His loves Accubonds, mine shoots them so-so. I suggest your buddy trys another bullet but only after making sure his rifle/scope combo is not the problem. My .02

·
Registered
366 Posts
While it's not a Weatherby, I have a Remington 700 in .257 Weatherby that will shoot 3 of the 100 gr TSX factory loads into less than 1/2" at 100 yards. I would take Tokavi's advice and start with checking the scope and mounts.

If you are limiting yourself to factory loads, some other loads to consider are the 100 gr Hornady Spire Point and the 110 gr Nosler Accubond. The Hornady loads are substantially cheaper than either the TSX's or Accubonds.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been shooting the 100gr Spire points for the last 4 years in mine. No real reason to change to the TSX except I had one not exit last year. I found it just under the skin on the backside shoulder. I guess I'll get a box and try them out to see how they do.

My buddies rifle is most likely not scope or mount related because he shot a very good group with the round noses he was using after he tried to get a good group with the TSX's. His rifle just doesn't like them I guess. Thanks guys!

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
I'm not sure if they make that bullet in the new tipped version, but I have found the tipped versions are much more forgiving. They seem to group a lot better for me in every rifle I've tried them.

THE JAMMER

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,582 Posts
Blake we're shooting the 115 grain Barnes X bullets in our .257 weatherby magnum. I bought all I could when I found out they were going to go to the 100 grain Barnes TSX.

Try it; lot of difference between the 24" ultra lightweight and the 26" barrel MV.

TH

·
Banned
428 Posts
I have been shooting the Mark V Ultralight in .257 for a while. I shoot the 120 grain Nosler Partition, I really like them. It will shoot around an inch group at 200 yards. The great thing about these are the knockdown power that they have at longer distances. At 200 yards, you get complete pass through and a large exit wound. I have seen some of these the size of a basketball (on deer).

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't load for the Roy but have for several others. As mentioned a clean barrel is critical. Two other factors are the rate of twist and free bore. The older 257's had a 1 in 12 twist, this will not stabilize the longer 115-120 grain spire points. That's why the round nose is still loaded. A 1-10 or 1-9 is needed even at the Roy velocities.

The free bore can cause erratic results with some bullets, Barnes recommends 0.05 inches off the lands as a good starting point. Try the 100 grain bullets in that rifle. I saw a discussion of this on another site about the TSX and 115 bergers not working in a Weatherby can't remember which one.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
BASKETBALL ?????????

THE JAMMER

wedington said:
I have been shooting the Mark V Ultralight in .257 for a while. I shoot the 120 grain Nosler Partition, I really like them. It will shoot around an inch group at 200 yards. The great thing about these are the knockdown power that they have at longer distances. At 200 yards, you get complete pass through and a large exit wound. I have seen some of these the size of a basketball (on deer).

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
davidb said:
I don't load for the Roy but have for several others. As mentioned a clean barrel is critical. Two other factors are the rate of twist and free bore. The older 257's had a 1 in 12 twist, this will not stabilize the longer 115-120 grain spire points. That's why the round nose is still loaded. A 1-10 or 1-9 is needed even at the Roy velocities.

The free bore can cause erratic results with some bullets, Barnes recommends 0.05 inches off the lands as a good starting point. Try the 100 grain bullets in that rifle. I saw a discussion of this on another site about the TSX and 115 bergers not working in a Weatherby can't remember which one.
That is pretty much what he said his buddy at HCR told him. Probably the twist rate or even that the crown could be throwing it off. I made a mistake on what he is shooting... it is the 115 gr Barnes X bullets, not the newer 100 TSX's. I'm going to buy a box of the TSX 100 gr today and go shoot them Monday or Tuesday. I'll let y'all know how they do in my gun.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I almost went back to correct the 100-115 gr. thing. Another thought is that if the rifle has had 500 plus rounds through it the throat might be rough. A rough throat will increase the copper fouling. If your gunsmith has a bore scope it might be worth checking.

I have had one rifle that was like this and it improved after using Tubbs Final finish. I would not do this with a barrel that was shooting other loads well as it lengthens the throat slightly.

It is more of a step to prolong accuracy before replacing a barrel IMHO.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
HornSuperFan said:
One of the important keys with Barnes bullets is to start with a very clean barrel. That would be my suggestion.
Tip #2, have plenty of Sweets to remove all that copper fouling...

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have plenty of Shooters Choice. How often between groups do you guys that shoot the Barnes bullets feel you need to clean the barrel? 10 shots or more? The Hornady bullets I was shooting did much better groups after the barrel was fouled. I only cleaned it once before and once after deer season was over.

·
23,582 Posts
Once before and after is good Blake. We've been shooting them since they started loading them in Weatherby's ammo and have had no problem with fouling.

TH

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trouthunter said:
Once before and after is good Blake. We've been shooting them since they started loading them in Weatherby's ammo and have had no problem with fouling.

TH
Gracias... I don't want to have to take my coated rod to the blind...LOL

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got to the range this morning to shoot the Barnes TSX 100gr through my gun. The first shot thru the clean bore was 2"high and to the right about the same. The next 2 were about 1"high at about 1 o'clock and less than 1/2" apart. I let the barrel cool and shot another 3 shot group that was similar to this one except it was the last shot was a flier at about 1 1/2"s high and right. I figured it was me so I got my scope adjusted to where I thought it should be and let the barrel cool down again. The next 2 shots were almost touching at 2"high dead center but to my surprise the 3rd was again high and right at about 1 o'clock. I guess that bullet doesn't like a warm barrel but I can live with that.

·
23,582 Posts
It doesn't like a HOT barrel and that barrel gets hot after two rounds hotter after 3, lol. Sterling's put three touching an inch and a half high over center at 100 yards then fired a 4th and it was 2.5 inches high and an inch right.

Sure do like that caliber and that rifle.

Good luck this weekend.

TH

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Well I have found the seating the barnes deep and allowing plenty of space before the grooves that they seem to shoot lots better. Anothr issue I have found is that Barnes bullets are much longer for the same weight of lead bullets therefore the twist rate is critical. I have found the lighter bullets in Barnes are about the same length as the heavier lead bullets and in my gun the lighter (shorter) Barnes shoots better.

Charlie

Charlie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts