2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many shot some tpe of the .25 caliner bullet and how do you like it I just bought a 25-06 in a T/C ENCORE Bull barrel with a Simmons A-TEC. What have you hunted with yours?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My next gun will either be a 25-06 or the 25 WSM. I currently shoot a 7 mag but need a smaller round and the .25's have won me over. I can't wait. Anyone have any problems with dropping deer with the .25 calibers?

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Get the 25-06 and save the money on rounds. the performance is almost compareable. Don't foget the 257 roberts. If you hand load this is a very good round.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The 25-06 is a dandy caliber. My father shoots a T/C Encore from Bullberry and its an incredibly accurate gun. Its a great caliber for anything we have here in TX. Last season he played with several different bullets and while all of them killed there were several times he didn't have complete pass thrus with 100 gr Nosler BT's. They killed the animal like lightening but he wanted two holes every time so he tried Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubonds. The accubonds produced better accuracy so they got more field use. The accubonds passed thru everything including several decents hogs and a large axis buck. IMO the 25-06 with Accubonds is a tough combo to beat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kenforu, Skinny is right: the 25-06 REM is a dandy caliber and with Accubonds, Barnes TSX, Nosler Partitions or any premium bullet, performance will be stellar. The Ballistic tip (and others) is a fine bullet but has more limits than the premiums. Pick one of those factory loads that suits your fancy, and give it an accuracy check. When you find a load that works to your satisfaction, try to purchase more boxes (as many as you think you'll need for the next several years) from the same lot # if possible so that your accuracy will (should) be consistent. That can be risky if you're the type to sell/trade often. Safe, fun shooting and good luck hunting!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've shot 25-06 for over 30 years, love it. Accurate and plenty of gun for texas game. If hand loaded can take you from blistering varmint loads to good medicine for hogs/muleys. Plenty of bullet choices to fit any desired use.

Steve

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Been shooting a 25 cal rifle at deer since I bought the first 2506 ADL that hit Clovis NM in 1969. I've moved on from the 2506 to the 257 Ackley IMP because it gives the same performance and is easier to load.
I've tried most of the 25 cal bullets that are available and I keep coming back to the Sierra 117 BT. They lack a little in accuracy compared to some other bullets and weights, but nothing I have found yet will put a deer on the ground quicker and have it fall closer to where it was standing (or running) when the bullet hit. I've probably killed close to 100 deer with this bullet and I've had three go more than a couple step ts. One was because the bullet didn't expand(I sent what was left of the bullets in that box back to Sierra and they gave me another box). BTW: I still got the deer, but I had to track it a ways. I could tell the bullet didn't expand because of the small size of the exit wound(less than .30 cal).
The other two deer than ran, were due to faulty bullet placement on my part.
The longest shot in this string was well over 500yds on a big NM mule deer, the shortest was less then 20 ft on a Colorado mule deer. Neither moved out of their tracks.
I know that some of the premium bullets will hold together better and give some very pretty mushroomed shapes. That ain't what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is a deer laying on the ground dead, ASAP after I pull the trigger. The Serra 25 cal 117 BT has done a better job of doing that, than any other bullet I've tried. It don' matter if the bullet breaks up a little or hangs together in one piece. As long as I've got a deer to clean after I make that first shot, then I'm happy.
And for the people that say "Premium bullets would do a even better job". Been there, tried most all of them and had failures that I can only blame on the bullet. Mostly it was not enough expansion to put a deer down as fast as the Sierras do.

Mission:SCUBA is correct about stocking up on ammo from the same lot #.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Best hunting buddy has shot a 25-06 as long as I can remember and virtually every deer has been a one shot kill. I just bought a Winchester Model 70 Fwt. in 25WSSM and I'm looking forward to giving it a try - results coming in about 4 months.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there anyone out there that can sell me on buying the .25 WSSM instead of the tried and true 25-06? I see Viking48 has a new WSSM but no history as of yet.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I own the following .25's: Remington sendero 25-06, Ruger 77 VS 25-06, Remington 721 257 Roberts. All 3 are great deer guns. Both Remingtons like Trophy Bonded bullets and the Ruger shoots Accubonds best. I tried Barnes bullets last season and did not like their performance on game. They did not seem to expand on deer so I shot a few hogs with the same results. They always did complete pass thru's, small holes on both sides, follow up shots on hogs were common and most animals needed tracking but all were recovered. I also have a friend that shoots a Ruger #1 in 25-06 Ackley improved. He loves it and I watched him shoot a 360" elk in Montana with it. One shot quartering away, pass thru and broke the off shoulder with a nosler partion. If you like to handload I know a guy that has a T/C Encore in 250/3000 Ackley Improved. He manages a large ranch in south Texas that's under a Type III permit. He shot over 70 deer with it last season, mostly does and cull bucks plus hogs and coyotes. With handloads velocities are about the same as a 25-06 with even less recoil. He said he only had a couple of deer go more than 20 yards and they were poor bullet placement. Same with hogs,creams them. Shoots flat enough that he is comfortable shooting coyotes out to 450 yards. Longest shot on a deer was 360, deer went 2' straight down. He loads the Accubond bullets with groups under 1/2" common. He has a .25 WSSM, Winchester. Likes the way it shoots but says it has problems feeding because the cartridge is so short. Might just be his gun but he handles a lot of rifles and knows what works. I bought my Ruger from him because he liked the 250/3000 Improved so much he doesn't shoot anything else anymore.

·
Firm Member
1,965 Posts
quote fromhttp://www.chuckhawks.com/25caliber_cartridges.htm
.25 WSSM

The .25 WSSM is the third cartridge to be introduced by Winchester on the super short WSSM case, and the newest .25 caliber cartridge as of this writing. This is basically a shortened version of the WSM case--a clear example of diminishing returns.

Like the other WSSM cartridges, the .25 WSSM is not a true magnum at all. In performance it is quite similar to the old .257 Roberts Improved wildcat, and slightly inferior to the .25-06 Remington, especially with heavy bullets. It cannot be denied, however, that the petite Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight rifle offered in .25 WSSM is a very cute hunting rifle.

.25-06 Remington
Remington adopted this old wildcat in 1969, but the cartridge has been around as a wildcat since at least 1920. .25-06 factory loads drive a 120 grain spitzer bullet to a MV of 2940 fps with ME of 2382 ft. lbs. Other factory loads are offered with 87, 90, 100, and 117 grain bullets.

With 120 grain factory loads the .25-06 is suitable for all species of North American deer, antelope, sheep, and goats to over 400 yards. Actually, the limiting factor is its trajectory. The "Rifle Trajectory Table" shows that this load has a maximum point blank range (MPBR) +/- 3 inches of 291 yards.

To an extent the .25-06 has always lived in the shadow of the similar .270 Winchester as a long range big game cartridge. On the other hand, using 75-87 grain bullets, the .25-06 is a better varmint cartridge than the .270. It is, however, a loud and hard-kicking varmint cartridge.

.257 Weatherby Magnum

The .257 Weatherby Magnum is the Queen of the .25 caliber cartridges. If you are considering the purchase of an ultra-long range rifle, take a very close look at the .257 Weatherby Magnum. This is one of Roy Weatherby's most useful creations, and arguably the best of all the ultra-long range cartridges. It will take medium size game such as deer, sheep, goats, and antelope essentially as far as they can be hit. It has adequate killing power for use on big 400 pound animals to about 280 yards, and heavy 600 pound beasts to beyond 100 yards, making it suitable for mixed bag hunts. It has also been used extensively on African plains game, where it has a good record.

The .257 Weatherby is a standard length magnum based on a shortened and blown out .300 H&H case, as are the .264 Winchester Magnum and .270 Weatherby Magnum. Like other standard length magnum cartridges, it is designed to work in .30-06 length actions.

Weatherby, Norma, and Federal factory loads offer 87, 100, 115, 117, and 120 grain bullets at velocities ranging from 3825 fps to 3150 fps. The Weatherby factory load for the excellent 120 grain Nosler Partition spitzer bullet leaves the barrel at a MV of 3305 fps with ME of 2910 ft. lbs. The "Rifle Trajectory Table" shows that this load has a MPBR of 317 yards. The Weatherby factory load for the Hornady 100 grain spire point bullet has a MV of 3602 fps and ME of 2881 ft. lbs. The MPBR is 337 yards. These are extremely high numbers.

Using bullets of equal sectional density the .257 Weatherby Magnum can more than hold its own as an ultra-long range cartridge when compared to the .270 Weatherby Magnum, and it beats the .270 WSM. Ditto the .264 Winchester Magnum and 6.5x68.

Measured in typical rifles for which each are normally chambered, the .257 Weatherby also kicks noticeably less than all of the other ultra-long range cartridges except the .240 Weatherby Magnum (which cannot compare in killing power). The bottom line is that the .257 Weatherby Magnum is perhaps the ultimate ultra-long range medium game cartridge
Don't overlook the Weatherby. The ammo is expensive, quite a bit more than the 25-06. If Texas WTD at 200 yds or less is the sole purpose, the 25-06 is a spectacular caliber. All things being equal (barrell lenght, wt, quality of optics, stock, and of course quality ammo), there really is no overpowering selling point to go to the Weatherby; however, most things are not equal between Mfgrs.
I have the Weatherby and it is by far the finest rifle I own. My Father-in-law and step-son both have the 25-06 in Rem 700 BDL w/ 26" bbl, and Savage 110 24"bbl respectively with absolutely no complaints.
If cost is a factor of deterrent for the Wby, look in to the Vanguard. $395.00 + a timney trigger @ $85.00 and WBY or Bell and Carlson (accuguard or full aluminum bedded) stock for $200. You now have in my mind one of the most versatile, tack drivin, quality rifles you will own.
As for ammo. WBY is premium, the only reason to reload is for economy if you shoot a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If you shoot a whole lot, avoid the 257 WBY like the plague. Its a barrel burner.
I've seen one go in as little as 450 rounds. I admit it was lite bullets at max velocity in a prairie dog town, but that is still too quick. Unless you can afford to buy barrels by the quiver full.
The Weatherby is a great cartridge if all you shoot is a few rounds to sight in each year and then fill your tags. Used that way, it'll last a life time. Hammering away on the bench every weekend and some kind of varmint hunting that shoots up lots of ammo and it won't last a year.
25 06 is bad enough at burning up barrels(generally 2000-2500 round is all you get), but the extra 20-30% larger powder charge of 257 Wby is really rough on barrels.
Weatherby makes a nicely finished gun, but when you get to digging into the actual mechanics of it, IMNSHO they are just over priced shiny junk. The Vanguard is a better deign than the MarkV and the Vanguard leaves some to be desired in the trigger and a few other places.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I shoot a 25-06 and handload AccuBonds. No complaints on either the caliber or the bullets. Here's a link to a post/report from this past season, page 2 has pics of a recovered bullet.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=46026

I don't see any reason to get a .25 WSSM unless it will be used by a young/small shooter (for the short action). Published ballistics show it matches the 25-06 in factory rounds, but what they don't tell you is that the .25 WSSM rounds are loaded at higher pressures in order to do it...either round has plenty of juice.

I love my 25-06 and highly recommend the caliber.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Shot a 25-06 exclusively for about 20 years. Between it a my 300 Win Mag, I need no other cartridge on this continent.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Ditto the praise for the 257WBY Magnum... sweetest long range whitetail cartridge of them all in my opinion. I have a stainless MK5 and have well over 500 rounds thru it and have not had any barrel throat issues. I shoot the factory 100grain Spire Points exclusively in it and it holds 1" groups at 200 right out of the box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts