2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a Minn Kota Terrova for my bay boat, but I'm trying to decide between a 24v and 36v. Probably overthinking it, but I'm a buy once cry once kinda guy so I'd rather not regret not getting the 36v (but I'd also rather not spend the money if I don't need to).

I have a Key West Bay Reef 196 (it's 19'6" long), and with dry weight, a full tank of gas, and the Yamaha 150 2 stroke it weights 2,658lb. I'm a bigger guy so myself and a buddy probably weight 500lb together, so overall up to 3,200lb. It currently has an 80lb Minn Kota which has worked fine, but haven't pushed it much since when I bought it 3 years ago it had obvious wear from being in the sun and I've had issues with corrosion, etc.

Most of the time I'm sure the 80lb 24v would be fine, but during the summer sometimes I'd like to use the spot lock temporarily at spots along the jetties or near the Galveston Ship Channel before deciding to put out the anchor and not sure how well or long it'd go for those situations.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
on a 19ft bay boat 24 volt will be just fine. I had a 24 volt on my 21ft bay boat and would spot lock for hours offshore in wind/waves/current. I'd also use it all day bass fishing with no problem and had power to go at the end of the day. A couple of suggestions...if you can afford it...buy lithium batteries. Also match up your electronics...if you plan to use it with a graph, Lowrance/Simrad integrates with Motorguide (I had the Xi5 and Lowrance HDS Live 9) and Huminbird integrates with Minn Kota. DON'T buy the auto-stow/deploy models...just more to corrode and I've talked to more people who've had problems with them versus people who loved them.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I’ve got a 21’ Shallow Sport and the 24V Terrova is not enough when the wind and/or current picks up. You’ll never regret going with the 36V. Better to have the horsepower for the times you need it than not have it all. And you’re only talking about $200-300 difference in price for the actual TM. Then there’s the extra battery though.

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,812 Posts
I’ve got a 21’ Shallow Sport and the 24V Terrova is not enough when the wind and/or current picks up. You’ll never regret going with the 36V. Better to have the horsepower for the times you need it than not have it all. And you’re only talking about $200-300 difference in price for the actual TM. Then there’s the extra battery though.
amen. 24v 80lb on 22 Xtreme isn’t enough in any good wind or current

go 36v!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 22 illusion and it ain’t enough in to a wind. Get the 36 and you won’t regret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I've had both 24v and 36v on a Champion 22Bay. The 24v would spot lock fine in a wind. However, the 36v was obviously stronger. The big reason I would recommend the 36v is that it will last much longer doing a spot lock on a windy day. When using the 24v, I found that a windy day would drain the batteries at least twice as fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts