2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all think a .243 cal. is big enough to take an Axis or should I use something larger? I've dropped two Whitetails where they stood, but Axis are alot bigger. I'd hate to wound one.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
As with any animal, shot placement is everything. With axis, the lungs are more forward which means you need to shoot super tight behind the sholder or through it to get to the lungs. A friend shot one with a 300Wthby a little back, and it didn't go all the way through. I seriously doubt you will get a full pass through with a .243.

That said, you can aim for the neck or spine, but I wouldn't do that on a trophy.

If I was on a paid hunt for a trophy, I would definitely go bigger. If you just have some on your lease that might just happen by, you might want to go a different direction.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've shot 2 with my .243 and they both only went about 15 yards. I use Federal Premium ammo with the sierra game king 100gr.

I would rather use my 7mm-08 on them, but I wouldn't hesitate using my .243.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
I shot one Monday with a .223 55 grain Barnes TSX and dropped her. Bullet selection can be the difference in making 2 holes instead of one.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I shot one Monday with a .223 55 grain Barnes TSX and dropped her. Bullet selection can be the difference in making 2 holes instead of one.
+1. I never really paid attention to bullets until I got into reloading. I haven't started reloading for my .243 but the sierra gameking bullets are very lethal and Federal Premium offers them.

I do hand load for my 7mm-08 and use 140gr sierra gamekings in them.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My wife shot this one with her .243

I can't find her best Axis picture. I think she shot it before I purchased a digital camera.

Record book axis and she shot it straight on in the chest. He ran about 30 yards.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
My point 02: I have tracked many....MANY axis that have been targeted with a POP gun and if you have a heavy trigger at all...DON'T do it! Axis hide is VERY thick and Many people will get on here and say .243 is perfectly fine..Bewl Caca! The .243 is only PERFECTLY fine if it is a good Head or Neck shot! I have laid down PLENTY with my .22-.250 but all head or neck! If you shoot ONLY for the Big spot, get a larger bore! This is only My 2 cents worth!

·
Highball !!!!
2,616 Posts
ditto on the shot placement....the one I shot Sunday,I retrieved a 130 grain remington bullet in .270 on the backside of the hide...personally I like shooting them in the neck....the nose hits the ground before the body does...I.E. no tracking needed....rio

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Popped this one with a .243. Never took a step. Shot placement is critical. If you are not too sure, I would use something bigger. I have a 7mm-08 that is perfect for "bigger" animals.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Your fixing to go hunting one and asking about where to shoot them ?? Depends on the animal How far, what angle, etc. Shoot em in the neck if you can. And yes the 243 is plenty gun. Its all about shot placement as said above.

Charlie

·
Registered
84 Posts
My son killed one several years ago with his .243, Federal Vital shock 100 grain. Deer weighed ~200# on the hoof. He shot it right in the front shoulder and it ran about 30 yards before falling dead as a wedge. Not trying to cause any problems or start anything, but I've killed and cleaned about 6 Axis so far and I don't remember their hide being that much thicker than a whitetail. Maybe I just didn't pay that much attention.

·
Know it, Love it, Kill it, and Grill it!
1,839 Posts
The hide in my .02$ is thicker and even in the "thin" Spots is tougher than that of a white tail. I shot the one below with a 30-06 150g @ 100yards, Boiler room shot. Hart Lung Combo, he never flinched trotted about 100 yards and layed up. The Bullet was lodged inbetween a rib and the hide. Never exited. I believe that you can take one with the 243 no poblem with the correct bullet and placement. I prefer to drop an animal in its tracks, but it dosn't always work out that way. If you can neck shoot it, do it. less waist of meet, and tracking. If you are going to shoulder mount it than by all means take a sholder shot, Just place it well.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
I killed about 15 axis with a .243. 100 gr sierra gamekings or hornady 100 gr btsp. Never recovered a bullet.
I shoot a 7-08 as well, I think the .243 does more damage than the 7-08.
Ive killed about 6 axis with a .222. And one with my .22 hornet. They are no different than whitetails.

Put it in the arm pit and go recover your axis.
My friend shot one last week with a .243 at 210 yds with the hornady, blew lung out the other side for an immediate blood trail where she was found 40 yds away.
.243 is by far one of the best calibers. With a SD of .242 its on par with .30 caliber 165 gr in terms of penetration..
I have blown through large hogs beyond 200 yds with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I grew up on my families ranch that is covered up with axis, its all we ever ate. as a result i had the duty of killing all the deer we ate. i have shot over 200 axis with my 22-250 55gr spt. out of those deer i have probably lost 6 or 7. all shot in the neck or head. i am sure 243 is enough. good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts