2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Life is a Trip!
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story so will try to just list facts as I understand them. Suffice it to say I'm close to being done here. 225 HPDI, mfg date 'O4. Forget the MFG. tech reps. No help there. Standard answers are " it's a submersible pump not a lift pump", and "it's not meant for that application". O.K....so what are you selling them to us for? No other motor mfg. with a similar setup is having these problems here, nor did we ever with older style yammys.
62O hrs., 16 months, 3 power head replacements. The application is on a tunnel hull, often running in water one foot deep.

New stock water pumps will not lift water until revved above 2OOO/25OO or so, then stream is still extremely weak. Have done all of the suggested mods, ie, milling the water pump housing down a few mils, enlarging the vent hole to 3/16th, etc. A stiffer aftermarket impeller by Sierra is a tremendous help, but now I understand these are no longer being made. New pressure gauge verified accurate, shows near zero at idle, and best hoped for when running is about 7 PSI....no matter motor height on jackplate or trim position. Here's the next baffling problem.

At rest, I can bounce the rpm and may eventually see up to 2O# if I jack with it long enough, but once on plane, psi easily falls to less than 5 psi. Bob's jackplate with a six inch stroke changes little no matter where I put it, what speed, or what depth of water. Considering an external water pickup tube if I could figure out how to make that work, or putting this thing on top of a huge pile of wood and having a public bonfire. Any ideas guys?? I am a full time fishing guide, loyal Yammyhead, but this dog ain't gonna hunt very much longer before I shoot it. Thanks in advance.

PS. I have already researched and read everything on the net I could find. There's a bunch there, but unfortunately no suggestions have helped so far. Anything new?

· Registered
143 Posts
mysterious.

I have had several people who owned yamaha's comment about water pump (pressure) issues. Thats really the only complaint I have ever heard. Sounds like that pump is cavitiating (sucking air). But how when you can submerse the pump and still not build pressue. I say that because when you are playing with it you can get it to build pressure sometimes buy bouncing the rpms. Have you done any of the mechanical work yourself? If so what are the tolerances like? Your problem is much more severe than the complaints I have heard from other people. I wish I had an easy fix for you. I can't believe that someone who replaces yami pumps regularly like a local dealer can't see the problem. On my suzuki the water leaks out in alot of other places on the lower unit other than the pee hole, but the pump can keep up and still hold pressure. Is there any way there is water leaking out of the lower unit so much that the pump cant keep up? Kind of makes me wonder if the problem is really the pump after all of the mods you have tried.

· Banned
2,530 Posts
Mc Trout,

I recently re-powered my 23' Explorer with a 200 hp HPDI from Bernie's in Victoria. Dennis, the owner and son of Bernie, the original owner, told me they would be making a modification on my engine's water pump before it was installed. Although I've intended to learn the specific alteration they make, I have not, so I will just encourage you to contact Dennis to discuss your problem with him. Dennis is the most knowledgeable Yamaha dealer/salesperson I have ever dealt with, especially on our shallow water needs and Yamahas. Good luck on solving your and our problem, and I look forward to learning when you've solved it.

· Life is a Trip!
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rconover. Yes, there are more than just 'several' complaints about water pump issues on the HPDI's. The net is wrought with them, but curiously no response or fixes from the mfg. As far as who is doing the work, everybody from the dealer to three separate Yam techs...so I finally took it upon myself. Everything appears tight as far as tolerences go..much tighter than designed that's for sure.

fishnstringer. I'm near certain the mods Dennis is doing are the same ones we are all doing. There's only so much you can do. There is no legitimate reason why the dealer, or any of us for that matter, should ever have to even touch one of these motors before going to the consumer. I'm calling Obama to call for change but Sarah Palin for results. Somebody needs some increased psi up their personal intakes on this one.

· Registered
104 Posts
I have to agree with you, that it shouldn't be such a problem. I just wen't through the same issue replacing the water pump on my 150 TRP. Had a small shop replace it the first time due to needing the boat asap for a tournament. Had issues with the pump not priming, so ended up taking it to Kerry at Ronnies Marine here in Corpus. I'm not sure what they did, but they fixed it right up. You may want to give him a call and see if he can add some insight to the issue.

· Registered
1,636 Posts
kerry at ronnies is one of the most knowledgeable i have ever met when it comes to yammies... he worked at bernies in victoria for about 6 years when my mom worked there, he got promoted and hated it so went back to his old alma mater ronnies... if i ever have probs with my stuff i always call him.

my water pump has problems priming on my 99 150 vmax also, but when under way i run a good 12psi, the pump hasnt been changed in 2 years and is due, so when i go to pull the lower unit off im more than likely goin to send the whole thing to bobs and get a bigfoot nosecone put on it since i run pretty jacked up on my shallow sport alot..

· Registered
1,669 Posts
We've run a lot of different motors on our various "demo" and personal boats. Worst one we outfitted was a 300HPDI. It was a dog. Of course we had the typical Yami water pressure probs and had to do a lot of tweaking but it still didn't perform like it should.

You'd think Yamaha would pay a little closer attention and try to remedy the problem, but I guess they're just too big and busy to worry about it.

· Josh Finch
1,403 Posts
I had the exact same motor only an 05 and had the exact same problems. I had it in and out of different shops just like you and checked everything myself like you. I was finally able to solve the problems though....

I sold it and got a Merc Pro XS 250. Not trying to be a smart#!*, but I know how frustrated you are, I was too!

· Registered
773 Posts
I had prime and pressure issues with my 2000 200HPDI with a new pump installed. There are several places it can draw air. I took it back apart and addressed all of them and plugged (not enlarged) one of two vent holes. Very carefully reassembled it with a little sealant in a couple of places for added insurance. It picked up instantly and ran good pressure after that with only the intakes submerged (well below the pump as you probably know). If you want, PM me and I will send you details.

· Pathfinder 2200v / VMAX HPDI 200
737 Posts
went thru this myself; both tx. yammie reps on hand for several weeks 'to make me happy.'

won't bore you with all the parts they replaced, with no luck. finally did their magic on oem pump and REPLACED the 'sorry' yammie gauge with an OMC that shows smaller overall pressure with more increments.

even had dealer put a NEW 200 on mine; SAME THING.

yammie stated these big blocks need 7 lbs to operate. mine came up to 2 at idel and at 2400rpm was at 14. WOT gave 18-20.

This hot summer, pressure dropped in my local HOT lake. However, NO HEAT ALARMS showing 7-8 lbs. Camped at another lake that is much cooler than my local lake, and pressure was back up where it should be. I can guarantee you, water temperature matters on these pumps.

Yammie went out of their way to help me and to date, have had no problems.

Mine is a 200 hpdi vmax.

· Registered
4,866 Posts
It's not just yammies. The manufacturers want to blame tunnel hulls, but when the motor is all the way down in the water you shouldn't have to really accelerate to get water pressure. the pumps just don't get a prime. The manufacturers need to find better engineers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.