2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the 21 Shoalwater Cat and wanted to hear from any members that own one or have been on one... I have been on a Tran Cat and an Attacka Flat..Strictly looking for experienced feedback regarding the 21 Shoalwater Cat.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Shoalwater Cat

The latest issue of Gulf Coast Connections has an article by Gary Gray. He recently purchased a 21 Shoal cat ( he did mention that there is a 24' do out later in the year ). You might want to contact him.

·
Registered
145 Posts
capt. Henry

What is the ball park price for a loaded 21 Shoalwater Cat?

I have fallen in love with the Trans Cat but it is very heavy and would be close to $40k loaded. (raised deck, ETec, GPS, VHF, Stereo, Trim Tabs, poling platform, custom color, jack plate, custom prop, hydrofoil, push pole, etc...)

The 1985 Shoalwater Flats boat is still up and running after countless trips from Bird Island to Baffin. Are the new one's on par with the old production?

·
i have a phd in BS
1,057 Posts
cat 21

loaded i could not tell you right off
but you can call steve @ 361-983-4134 / 800-900-4330
i kept mine simple boat motor trailer gps all setup the way i wanted ran 27K
i have over 1500 miles on it since i picked it up the 3rd week on janurary
and i have found NO faults with workmanship or the boat it's self

Sand Eel said:
What is the ball park price for a loaded 21 Shoalwater Cat?

I have fallen in love with the Trans Cat but it is very heavy and would be close to $40k loaded. (raised deck, ETec, GPS, VHF, Stereo, Trim Tabs, poling platform, custom color, jack plate, custom prop, hydrofoil, push pole, etc...)

The 1985 Shoalwater Flats boat is still up and running after countless trips from Bird Island to Baffin. Are the new one's on par with the old production?

·
Keep on Keeping on....
1,824 Posts
There will not be but a few grand difference truth be known. The tran is a tinge smoother, think it is console placement, and front sponson design. The Tran seems to get up easier and has less bow lift. I think the Tran might be a little more efficient hull. Either that or My Hpdi gets better mileage than an Etec. This is from runnign both boats, I own a Tran and my uncle owns a Shoalwater. These comments have come out of their mouths but I agree having run both for a good bit. Could be that I just have a lot more time in my boat and understand where it likes to be run though. But, the Shoalwater can not get much bow lift while running which effects the cat tendencies a little. Both will shear, both will run good, both will make you happy, but I rode in them all and went over them with a fine tooth comb before I chose mine. The shoalwater is a pretty heavy boat too so don't fool yourself there. I guarantee both will run MUCH skinnier than you will want to. I have ran both in less than 3". The tunnel design seems to work a little better on the Tran. The ETEC will overheat if you go more than 3.5 -4" up and run over 4k for very long, unless you have the transom cut down some. They need to re-implement the old Laguna style top part of the tunnel in the tunnel, if we can call it that. That is what sets the Ultra cat apart from the Shoalwater.

Ride in them all my friend... You will end up about $32'ish on the shoalwater with a 200 ETEC with the right deal, and you can get about the same pricing for a Tran with a HPDI stock...

·
Keep on Keeping on....
1,824 Posts
Sorry to continue, but you will find the additions will cost you about the same from Steve as they will from TV. The difference in price is material price. Bell uses wook, Tran uses the high end closed cell foam stuff which the manufacturer says is stronger than wood pound for pound and will not absorb water. But I have had a lot of shoalwaters in my family and tell you the wood will last a long time.

BE SURE TO PUT A TRAN CAV PLATE ON THAT ETEC, it works better than anything out there, according to my uncle. He tried numerous before I got him to try the tran. I think Portland Marine now makes them. If you call them, ask for Richard and tell him Brian Steward sent ya. Tran is the same way, and I owe my loyalties to him now, but Richard Foley is the best dealer i have EVER dealt with. I have never found customer service like that, if you ask for it. Many loyal to him no matter what boat line he carries. I can not say enough about them. 361-643-2258 or 8852 cant remember right off hand. The HPDI will get you another m/hr or so due to gear ratios. I can not speak for the Optimax but I was going to put a 200xs on mine but got too good a deal on my Vmax HPDI.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picking Up My 21 Shoalwater Cat Next Weekend!!

I appreciate the feedback from all of you and wanted to share my opinions after experiencing the boat demo and the boat building experience with Shoalwater...

Most importantly - Gene Boern and Steve Bell were fantastic to deal with. They allowed me to change/upgrade many things I deemed important to me and they didn't make me feel silly when I asked what I felt were silly questions...I won't quote prices, but the price was right!!! Make sure to compare!!!!!!!

This boat will have Alum work by Tops N Moore, SAW, and the trailer is by Coastline.

After the demo I was sold. I know many people have their opinions, but for the record this Cat rides IMHO quite a bit better than any of the Trans Cats I've been on, and I have been on many the last few years!!!!From Port O'Connor to Port Isabel, I've been on them. When the water really gets rough, the Shoalwater is hands down less bone jarring!! On average days on any bay the difference is less noticable. We crossed Matagorda Bay in some pretty inclement weather and I was amazed by the ride. Don't get me wrong, the Tran Cat is one of the better rough water riding boats that can get skinny too, but we hit waves at all angles and I can tell you that you owe it to yourself to look at the Shoal Cat if you're in the market for a Cat, or you'll sell yourself short.

To summarize....

Tran makes a great product, I would never knock his work -ever!! However, there are other well built boats with great hull designs out there that deserve a look before you spend your hard earned $$$...

I will post some pic's of my set up after I get it picked up and dailed in!!

Thanks again to all of you that I talked with in helping guide me through this process!! It's been awesome buying a new boat built to my spec's!!

·
Keep on Keeping on....
1,824 Posts
Congrats my friend, you got yourself a fine boat. I really shocked my cousin the other day when we ran through about 2" as the tide was falling out. I never doubted this boat as I was keeping a sharp eye on water pressure and prop wash. See ya on the Laguna my friend, and if your ever down in the cut be on the lookout for my boat and say hi. I usually monitor all channels, 72 is a fewquently used one. If I am at the cabin, stop by for a cold one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts