2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

2022 SouthBay 160 (Sept. 26th update)

23K views 93 replies 16 participants last post by  JefeRuiz 
#1 ·
Happy New Years everyone.

Long time boater having owned several boats and used them in Central Texas area now living/fishing the LLM out of Arroyo City.

We came down. With our Mako19 Pro Skiff and were not happy with how it performed in the flats(imagine that).

We promptly started looking for our next boat. Primarily my wife and I with an occasional 3rd person will be fishing on the boat. After talking to folks, visiting a couple of Rio Grande Valley dealers and boat builders..... we decided to have Cougarmarineusa.com out of San Benito build us a South Bay 160.

They went under new Management about a year ago and have continually improved their lineup in the past 12 months. I wanted a dealer that was close to Arroyo City, that would know the boat top to bottom and that was competitively priced. The 160 hit all the buttons for us.

Cougar Marine sold the Mako for us and put our new custom boat on the build list the last quarter of 2021. It is scheduled to be built and delivered in the next 30-45ish days.

Not much info out there on current builds of the SouthBay160. If you are interested... tag along as I will be adding pics of the build (if I can swing by the shop and take them) and ride reports on how the boat does in the LLM.

In the past 6 months ...I have been on the LLM on the Mako, a Chiquita, and a 20ft Shoalwater Cat. So I am eager to see how the South Bay 160 performs.

See attachment for basic specs on our order.

Will be happy to answer any questions you might have as we go along.

Thanks.
Pablo
Retired AFD Assistant Fire Chief 🔥
Font Number Document Circle

See less See more
#11 ·
Yep... NEW owner... NEW Management... I read a lot about the previous owner. Seems he was pretty stuck in his ways.... Good boats even then...just seems like he needed to work on his people skills.🤷🏽
Regardless.... current employees are great to work with. Every time I go in there is sure seems like a family business with everyone looking out for each other. Can't wait for them to get mine in the mold!!!

#17 ·
This WAS the shape of the console on the South Bay 160.. they just redid the mold for 2022 and I think mine will be the second one with the new console...it will be one piece and will go all the way to the floor. The small "step" is no longer included on the 2022s. The height is the same...just a couple more inches of fiberglass to make it one piece.
Watercraft Naval architecture Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

#19 ·
Product Rectangle Wood Table Gas
Here is what I was talking about ... old(grey) style console... and new (seafoam) style console....same overall height.
capt_gilligan::
I also asked about reason for screw on console... ease of removal..but otherwise no reason not to glass it in... sooo...mine will get glassed in. Pictures will be taken and hopefully buyers will have their choice of attachment in the future.

#20 ·
Water Product Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Naval architecture

. One thing I noticed with these style of consoles is that it is awkward to sit on because you can't reach the floor easily.
GREY SouthBay160 in pic.
Mine will have a flip down step installed in front to make it more comfortable for kids and shorter stature adults 😉

. The new console design will also look better with it (in my opinion) because it will visually knock down some of the "height"

#27 ·
Ran a Southbay 16 for 4 years
It was a fun skiff. Dry -albeit a bumpy- ride and could run skinny. You will enjoy yourself on that boat.
I agree...probably a little bumpy but running out of Arroyo City I am pretty confident we will be good in the bays(Peyton, rattle Snake,West..etc)
Two people fishing out of it should be ideal. 🤞
Don't know what year model yours was..hull is the same..but there has been some tweaking of the rest of it in the last couple of years.

#30 ·
I know some people won't share what they paid for many reasons..one being someone will chime in on how they paid too much. 🤷🏽
. Buy what you can afford...fish don't care if you fish out of an X3, SCB, or Jon Boat...
I have been/will be posting an HONEST review of the boat /manufacturer during build process, how it runs once completed and during my ownership to include my dealings with service and any warranty work needed...🤞 Having said that:::

Price varies according to options you want. Mine is pretty much optioned to the max and came in right at 40k out the door with all taxes and registration etc including the single axle aluminum McClain trailer.... Same price (give or take) as a Chiquita.
NOT an inexpensive boat at all... but I looked at the Chiquita and others and I believe that I am getting a better boat (built exactly as I want from scratch) albeit an expensive one.
You can get them much cheaper ... mine will have quite a few upgrades/changes from a basic SB160.

#32 ·
Went by Cougarmarineusa.com in San Benito, Tx. They were busy as heck! Lots of boats in for service...some refurbishment going on...rigging on two new boats (South Bays 160 and 200) and two others in the mold stages..a Gensis and Our SouthBay160.

Stringers are "molded" and should be getting glassed in soon. The Center Console is done and looks like the livewell was glassed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.