2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you have had the recall done buy the dealer. Installed new PCM program and did not work?
Ford is now saying to change the Cam Phasers in the motor.
This seems to be a major 10hr job to change these.
Anyone has experience with this recall? I just have a small rattle on start up only. Otherwise all is great.
Seems this affected other year models as well with 3.5
Recall 2017-2020 EcoBoost 3.5
21B10
21N08

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not a recall. Ford calls it a customer satisfaction program. If it is a recall Ford should have paid for my cam phasers to be replaced. I had a 2017 with the 3.5 ecoboost, has a battle rattle on cold start and the program/update did nothing. I was quoted just under $2800 to replace the cam phasers and my extended warranty company denied the claim. Ford put the screws to their customers by sending out a bulletin in summary there have been no known engine failures and the rattle will not cause any damage. My extended warranty company used that notice as their basis for denying the claim.

I know 4 people who have 2017 or newer 3.5 ecoboost motors and all of them have had both the cam phasers and timing chain replaced all under 80K miles. Somehow they're still the best selling 1/2 ton truck. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had to have the cam phasers replaced on the wife's 2018 Expedition (same 3.5 Eco). It was same symptom with rattle mostly during a cold startup. The rattle did get worse over time. The dealer covered the cost of the repair but it took nearly 3 weeks in April 2020. The majority of the shop time was waiting for parts and I doubt availability has improved in the last 16 months. Since then, no rattle and everything seems fine.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a Satisfaction program. But Dealer stated there is a recall if this doesn't work to change the Cam Phasers. Dealer stated the Reprogram works about 10% of the time.
I still have the noise after re-program. Was looking for posts like GLOCK who had it replaced and experience afterwards.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the cam phaser replacement done on my 2017 3.5 , “cold start rattle “ in September 2020, covered under warranty .
No more rattles as of today.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jerry713

21B10 was never intended to fix phasers that had already failed. The intent was to prevent future failures and if there is a failure CSP 21N03 has been released

To qualify for 21N03, you must have 21B10 performed prior to 8/31/21

·
INFIDEL to Some, but Loves my Saviour
10,281 Posts
I will be calling the dealer on this, as my 2017 F-150 has just started the start-up rattle., @ 30,000 miles. Guess I'm SOL on a rental provided?

·
Geaux Tigers!
241 Posts
So nothing on the Expeditions with the same exact engine? My wife's 2018 Expedition sounds absolutely horrible on a cold start. Sounds like it is rattling apart.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I will be calling the dealer on this, as my 2017 F-150 has just started the start-up rattle., @ 30,000 miles. Guess I'm SOL on a rental provided?
From what I understand it depends on the dealer. The dealer I went to didn't have any rentals to give me. Also depends on if you're willing to pay for it or if you have an extended warranty that will cover it. I was told by the Ford dealer I went to Ford will cover 33% of the cost of the repair but not for a rental.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ford rep told me the PCM update fixes maybe 10% of the time.
He stated if not fixed, they would change the Cam Phasers at NC.
The fix was not successful. Still rattles a little about 1min after start when the engine goes from cold 1200RPM back to say 600 or 800 Idle RPM. There is a maybe 20sec rattle.
I really don't want someone doing a 10hr engine overhall on my somewhat new truck.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems I don't yet have the Cam Phase rattle. This is good but do have somewhat of a sound as mentioned above.
Leaving at Ford to check it out before my 30K warranty expires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When you guys say “rattle” I’m assuming when you first start the truck and it makes that somewhat of a loud rattling sound then goes to normal - usually lasting about 10 sec? At least that’s how my truck is, after that first 10-15 sec of rattling, it’s pretty quiet, so I thought nothing of it. 2018 f150 3.5l.

·
Play Deep
3,650 Posts
This reflect a similar situation with any small , boosted engine ( little Chinese do it to Honda s, vw s etc) - makes them “ run” fast but aren’t t built to take the long term abuse. Ford did this to this little motor and everyone thinks they are AJ Foyt and Richard Petty. I know of 4 that imploded after 40k miles …. Haven’t heard any make it to 100, 000 like any modern motor should.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
"Haven’t heard any make it to 100, 000 like any modern motor should."
I've got 113,000 on my 3.5 F150. So far, so good. It's a 2011, the first year they came out.

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,156 Posts
"Haven’t heard any make it to 100, 000 like any modern motor should."
I've got 113,000 on my 3.5 F150. So far, so good. It's a 2011, the first year they came out.
Im on a f150 Ecoboost Group and there are plenty of guys claiming 150k miles with zero issues. Im about to hit 60k on my 2019 and no issues yet and I drive like I stole it. I planning on getting it tuned after my power train warranty goes out.

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,738 Posts
When you guys say “rattle” I’m assuming when you first start the truck and it makes that somewhat of a loud rattling sound then goes to normal - usually lasting about 10 sec? At least that’s how my truck is, after that first 10-15 sec of rattling, it’s pretty quiet, so I thought nothing of it. 2018 f150 3.5l.
Exactly what it is. Mine is doing it too. Dealer tried doing the OCM update or whatever. Didn’t fix it. Wife was out of town at the time and I wouldn’t have a second vehicle. Need to go talk to them and have them get parts on hand before I drop it off so it’s not sitting waiting on parts.

Mine is a pretty solid and loud rattle. It has for sure gotten worse over time. Also has a slight tick that I’m going to make sure they look into. Might be the timing chain. I’ve got a 2019 with 53k on the clock.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The 3.5 Ecoboost can go to 200K and often does. But I agree they can't take heavy duty work or Ford would be putting them in 3/4 tons since the torque is considerably more than the 6.2 gas engine in the F250 (talking 2017 3.5 eco or newer).

My "rattle" only lasted 2-3 seconds on cold start up but was loud. Almost sounded like there no oil in the motor. It did go away when the motor was warm. I also had a tick at times after the motor was warm which I'm sure was a completely different issue. I got rid of it with 80K.

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,156 Posts
The 3.5 Ecoboost can go to 200K and often does. But I agree they can't take heavy duty work or Ford would be putting them in 3/4 tons since the torque is considerably more than the 6.2 gas engine in the F250 (talking 2017 3.5 eco or newer).

My "rattle" only lasted 2-3 seconds on cold start up but was loud. Almost sounded like there no oil in the motor. It did go away when the motor was warm. I also had a tick at times after the motor was warm which I'm sure was a completely different issue. I got rid of it with 80K.
This is exactly what my truck does, only at start up for a second or two. My wife's Jetta which is a turbocharged engine does the exact same thing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's crazy the Jetta does it too. Ford put out a statement saying there have been no known engine failures due to the cam phaser rattle yet Ford is approving the cam phasers to be replaced for those who have Ford extended warranty. I had a number of other issue with my truck (been in the shop 11 or 12 times in 3 years) so I decided to move on to something else. I miss the ecoboost power tho

1 - 20 of 25 Posts