2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying this boat, but I have some questions?

Has anyone owned or ridden in this boat?
What is your opinion in comparison to the Triton LTS

Does anyone have any pictures of these boats?

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
Lighter and shallower freeboard than the Triton. You might bounce it off these guys. Lots of folks run them as striper boats on north Texas lakes and seem to be pretty proud of them. I see more up there than at the coast.

·
MHX Pro Staff
1,355 Posts
I tournament fish with a guy that has that boat and have fished with a guy that has a 22' LTS.
Both are nice boats but the Skeeter will get super skinny for a boat it's size, say 7-8". The ride is pretty nice and it's layed out well. The only problem I have with it is the rod lockers. You can't put a 7' rod in them and a 6'-6" rod gets beat up in there. Get the rod holders on the console or the "flip out" ones that mount on the sides of the cockpit and you'll be fine.

·
PETA & LIBS let Obama eat dogs.
4,470 Posts
I have one-a 2008 Skeeter Baypro 20ZX with 150 Yammie vmax. Oilman's tour special. It is fast (4 blade) and tops out at 53-54 mph. I added rod holders to the gunnels and gps/depthfinder and stereo. I want a Power pole. I have had no problems at all except Advantage Marine or factory rigger connected the engine leads and battery leads on port side of transom and they came apart and stranded me in West bay-cost about $2 to fix (Just got two SS bolts/nuts and a nylon tie strap and now they aint near water so no parting or coming apart. Also, the water seperator was poorly placed and I removed the "tub" (4 SS screws) that the oil tank is in so easier to reach transom to replace separator. I added a second battery. I want a jackplate also-was bumping bottom in the "heck zone" at Titlum Tatlum on very low tide (really low about 3 weeks ago). Hole shot is 2' of water on finder. gets wet in cross waves, but most boats do, lightweight boat all composite materials so no rot. I like the removable windshield and handrail. stable fishing platform-doesn't roll when move to port or starboard when moving to a side fishing like some boats. Head on waves are fine and dry, just the dang crosswaves. I like it. He's right on rod lockers-I use them for storage and that's why I added the Lee's SS rodholders (4 of them-2 on each side). Never been in a triton, but been in 22' Blazer bay-different hulls-BB is more V and needs more depth for holeshot (2008 Blazer 22'). I got mine from winner of a tourney, so mine was very cheap-like very very low 20s with aluminum trailer. The electrical layout is great-well done for ease of running wires and well made. I have analog gauges which I care less-prefer analog myself-just want to know fuel and rpms and water pressure. Finish is good, fairly easy to clean. MY $.02.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,019 Posts
This is the boat that I really want. The price at the boat show is actually very good b/c early in the spring of 2009 I priced the same boat and it was around $29,000 w/o options. If I hadn't purchased my 2004 Kenner 21 this past August, I would have purchased this boat last Saturday. For my needs, it does everything from fishing the flats, the open bay, the lakes and creeks and the rivers as my fishing is about 50:50 salt and fresh.

Good luck if you get it. Great buy! Also the salesman mentioned it will be back up in the upper $20's to lower $30's after the show.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pics

I love mine. Here are some pics Great family boat. I have been at Rayburn bass fishing and pulling the kids on a tube one weekend then to Sabine lake and out to the short rigs catching Specs and Triple Tail the next!!!!

Attachments

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,019 Posts
Beautiful boat DUCK44!!! I wish I hadn't purchased my Kenner so fast or I would have got a skeeter like yours.

·
Bait Bucket
105 Posts
I love mine. I have a ZX20 Bay 2007 I bought new in Januaru 2008. I keep it in Rockport TX and only fish the bays. Very well made, very stable. I have a 150 4 stroke Yam and it will do 52 on flat water, we just don't get a lot of flat water in Rockport. Ride is OK and somewhat dry compaired to Bluewaves and Dargles.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Old post. Any of you guys with the zx20 have the transom livewell?

Not the newer one with the arched front and side jump seats, but the 09 & older ones with the aft deck boxes that open to the sides of the boat.

I'm looking at one with the console baitwell and nothing in the transom. I'm trying to see how the transom one is designed.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Bait Bucket
105 Posts
Mine has the rear bait well, I only use it for an ice chest. It is well insulated and I use Tecni Ice in it each trip. The switches for the pump and air is located on the left of the helm. It was real easy to sent something down on the switches and all of a sudden you have overfilled the bait tank. I removed the fuses for these two switches so that would never happen again. I did use it for live bait a few times, bu it is hard to get the bait out without getting down on your knees. The front bait well is much more user friendly.

BaitBucket
Rockport, TX:texasflag

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Is it in the center of the rear deck, or port side?
The boat I saw seemed to have a big empty deck area between the port and starboard storage boxes on the transom.

The starboard box has a 'tub' in it that houses the oil tank. The port storage seemed to be built with a livewell in mind but it was not plumbed.

Just curious how it's setup from the factory. Any pics? If I get the boat, I may end up adding a bait wel to the transom. I will make sure the switches aren't in a bad spot though!

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Bait Bucket
105 Posts
My well is on the port side. The Stbd box is storage. I have a 4 stroke so no oil pump. The port bait well is a factory option, which includes a pump to fill the well as well as an air pump. If you don't opt for the bait well, you get just an ice chest.

BaitBucket

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My well is on the port side. The Stbd box is storage. I have a 4 stroke so no oil pump. The port bait well is a factory option, which includes a pump to fill the well as well as an air pump. If you don't opt for the bait well, you get just an ice chest.

BaitBucket
Where are the pumps mounted, and where do you access them from?
How are you liking the boat now that it has been a few years?

Still holding up well without any structural issues? I read a lot about the older Skeeter Bay boats with issues in the floors, as late as 2004. They were having issues while a year or two old. I havent' found anything after 2004 with issues. The one I'm considering is an '09.

Thanks for the info.
Shawn

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have had a ZX20 Bay since 2005. Used primarily in Satlwater and been through a lot with it. I can tell you all the pros and cons based off my experience. It really all depends on what your need or intended usage is going to be and your expecations that defines the perfect boat for each individual.

The boat is well made and the finish is superior, mine is 7 years old and still shines up nice. 150 HP is the best bet, the 115 option would be too little. Most owners can see the low to mid 50's in speed with a 150.

Mine came with the leaning post and 2 livewells standard. I have done some upgrades over the years with trailer, jack plate, O2 system, power pole, and boarding ladder to fit my needs.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts