2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stepdaughters 2007 Chrysler Sebring will not shift out of park. The car starts fine, but when the brake pedal is depressed, it will not shift out of park. Fluid level appears OK.

Anything to look for? I am thinking it might be the safety mechanism that assures the brake is depressed.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
try turning key on just enough to unlock the ignition switch. do not power anything up. it may allow you to take it from park, if so then start in neutral. is this a column or console shift?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
there should be an override somewhere in or around the console. it may be covered or hidden under coin holder type place. might try the owners manual for this too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manual says it is under the cup holder liner. I will give it a try in the morning.

Thanks again,
Brandon

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
It is your break pedal switch. Look for a white button pressing into a rubber gromet (SP) put a piece of tape over gromet.

It is notorious for going out and I myself have had same issue Honda Accord.

Also a manual override stick key into it push down and depress shifter into choice of gear.

piece of tape will solve all issues till fixed but tape fixes issue permanent so no need to replace.

Sounds to me like someone slammed on brakes recent causing it to shift off center (break pedal)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts