2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my pronghorn antelope mount back about 2 1/2 months ago and now am finally writing about it. Reading Asolde's post about his sika buck spurred me into action. This past year I hunted in south eastern New Mexico with my buddy Oscar Alcoser. We saw bunches of pronghorns and many had serious headgear. After several failed attempts at big goats, I found myself in a pasture looking at a pretty nice mule deer. He was still in velvet and running in my general direction. I didn't know he was spooked by Oscar, who had been hunting over the next hill. When the buck came running over the hill, he spooked a bedded pronghorn that I had not even seen yet. When I saw the pronghorn, I immediately liked his mass and horn length. Up came my Browning 25-06 and one shot later, the goat was down for good. At 221 yards, I actually heard the bullet hit the animal. A "whop" was heard and he fell in his tracks. At this point, Oscar and my bro-in-law David, were watching the action. They both enjoyed seeing it go down. After finding the animal in extremely high grass, congrats were heard and pics were taken. This had been a very wet year in the desert country and the tall green grass proved it. The buck was thick and about 14 inches tall, making it my best goat ever. After the trip back home to Texas, Mark Morren(double mm taxidermy) mounted the pronghorn expertly as he always does. Presently, he has my 8 pointer from deer season in Llano co. He said it should be ready next weekend if all goes well. Hopefully after a trip to Granite Shoals, I can show ya'll what that buck finally ended up looking like. My thanks to my bro-in-law and sister(David and Sylvia) for the opportunity and hospitality. Also to my buddy Oscar for the great hunting trip enjoyed and the memories made. Hope everybody enjoyed the story and pics. Rube-out!

Attachments

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hoa, hope you bust an even better goat! At this point, It looks like I'll be sol hunting goats in the desert. But, you never know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Good story Ruben. That Pronghorn is a respectable animal. He looks good on the fireplace.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
LazyJeff said:
Can somneone point me to an outfitter for this year (pronghorn)
LJ, I know of a New Mexico hunt with one opening left. I will be guiding on the hunt. It's on the Bell Ranch everythiing is included but it's pricey. I can set you up on a hunt next season, bow or gun, in Montana. Great hunt, reasonable price, high success rate. PM me if your interested. I have pictures I can send of some of the antelope we harvested last season. Tony V.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Pronghorn

We lived in Wyoming for 20yrs. Those speed goats are fun hunting. Fry the meat with bacon and it's not bad eating.
Congrads,
Terry

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all you guys for the kind words and for always reading the rantings of a mad man. I can't wait for deer season! Rube-out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts