2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2013 Desperado Outlaw 22 Yamaha 225 SHO
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this engine about two months ago.It has been running great.The guy I bought it from said it fouled plugs occassionally.It is running a little rough at idle and think I'm to the point I need to replace the plugs.Is this a normal problem with this engine?

·
fish control my brain
7,766 Posts
Yea...you will need to replace the plugs every 12 months and sometimes as short as 8.

That motor is pretty simple, plugs, water pump, and lower unit oil, is about all you need to worry about.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,964 Posts
I change em every 50 or so hours on mine. Be very sure to index them. It makes a big differance.

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
The Plugs are pretty expensive like $ 12-15 ea . I only change um when it starts idling ruff. which in my estimation is 90-100 hrs if you "Index" the plugs ie put the Gap at an angle away from where fuel shoots in .Its not as hard as it sounds. and your manual will tell you proper torque value - I think like 14lbs maybe 12lbs cant remeber

DONT take um out to check them unless you have some new one's ready to replace.
Plugs run hot become brittle and I've broken at least 1 every time I change um.

Its best to go ahead and take off lower cowling to get to the Plug on the lower left cylinder and while you have the lower cowling off. Look at the T stat hosing that is below that bottom cylinder. 2002 have a Cast Iron T stat housing. My corroded and caused some heating issue's with my motor. It will look like sorta like a fat L . with hose's on each end. New Housings are $ 35 and heat resistant Plastic

Dave

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The local Evinrude deal said that the fuel sprays right at the plug. When it fouls the raw fuel allow the pistons to scuff the cylinders. This is the basis of these engine failures. There was a fix to install an stainless rod to shield the plug. I'm not familiar with these engines, so what I heard or thought I heard may or may not apply to this engine.

Capt, How did you get so much green with only 7 posts, wow, they must have been potent.

Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts
tboltmike said:
...There was a fix to install an stainless rod to shield the plug. I'm not familiar with these engines, so what I heard or thought I heard ...
that was back in 1998 and 1999 for the 150-175 FICHTS of those years that had all the problems giving motors a bad reputation.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Sea, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew I was on thin ice, that why I qualified my response.

Mike

seahorse5 said:
that was back in 1998 and 1999 for the 150-175 FICHTS of those years that had all the problems giving motors a bad reputation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts