2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't used my boat for the past 6 months due to medical reasons.

I have always treated my fuel with stabil fuel additive but I fear water could be in the gas and fuel is old.

Should the injectors be cleaned by a marine dealer?

·
Dirty Dee, you're a baddy daddy lamatai
671 Posts
what to do

This one is tough. If you have to clean the injectors, it is because one or more are plugged up and not spraying enough fuel. If that is the case, remember that the oil is mixed with the fuel at that point and if the engine is not getting enough fuel, then it is not getting enough lubrication either. Does your engine start and idle right now? Some times the high pressure electric pump inside the vst locks up due to lack of use. But if that area is fine, you may want to make sure you are getting enough spray every time the injector opens. The only way I know is that the injectors have to be removed and powered up and watch the spray pattern on a piece of cardboard or something. These Merc EFI engines are tough but the worst thing you can do to them is not use them. If you decide to look into it, take it to a good Mercury shop where they now about these engines and the kind of work you are expecting. Its a job that will burn at least 3 hours of labor I would think. Let us know how it goes. Thanks

Pth

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Not normally have had the efi engines sit for over one year, it will take out the Electic fuel pump, $500- 700, from a dealer, from the old fuel, once replaced the the engine fires never a problem with the injectors, I had to do 3 of these last year from customers letting the engine sit for near one year.,, but there is the VST tank a silver tank on port side from at the bottom is a brass screw remove it and drain the old fuel out of the tank. It needs to be reprimed with fuel the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel inside, and if let set empty , the air will collect mosture, and if any ethonal gas it will be worse, and the ethonal will build a *********** film and clog up things.
Drain a in the vst tank, in a clear catch jar, and let sit for a few min, and see what was in the vst tank, reprime and fire up and let run on hose for a little and you should be ok. Since you added stabil to the fuel. Nothing really renews the fuel but I have had good luck with Startron to help the fuel and stop phaze seperation.
Try this and you should be good till you can get it back in the water,, if you can take it to a ramp and run on trailer for 5-10 at about 1500 it would help to flush out a bucn of the old fuel in the lines... THis engine also has a screw on filter in the engine might take it off and repalce or at least dump out and see what you have and if any water .
Yamaha is coming out with Ring free + and fuel Stabil + to help with the fuel problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts