2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, the 5th, was my 20th anniversary at work. No one noticed. Im supposed to get a $200 gift card from Academy as a service award. Maybe they just dont know, because we have new managment and HR folks. AGAIN. I really like my job. Its technical and challenging. Pay is ok. I get 6 weeks and one day vaction this year. The medical insurance is lower than most companies.

But. I want to be on the water. Allways have. Im getting a little old to make major changes in my life, but still young enough to take a risk. My son has graduated from Texas Tech and has a good job. My daughter is 18 and will graduate HS next year. Basically, they are grown up. Ive allways liked Houston, but its starting to become like any other city. Big and unforgiving.

When I was younger, I would take the risk. I would just pack up and go. As I age, I find myself taking the safe road. I guess, Im at a crossroad in my life. Should I stay, or should I go. About 10 years ago, I spent my first fishing/camping trip at SLP. I have been in love with that area ever since.

At best, I have 5 years left at my job, before they outsource it to Mars. I still shouldnt have a hard time finding a good job because of my mechanical skills. Im well above average.

Im not afraid of change. I rather embrace it. I bore easily. After reading my horoscope this morning, Im sorta setting a goal for myself. I want to get a job that is close enough to the water, that I can fish after work. I want to look out my window at home, and see water. Like most folks, I have a 401k plan. If I took the penalty hit, I could move then look for work. I could live off of that if I had too. (Not the smartest move, but..)

I want to be on the water by spring time next year. Im very seriously thinking about it.

My horoscope.

Now is the time to launch a new phase. Don't worry about making elaborate preparations for something that's destined to happen organically. Your new career or identity beckons. That distant brilliance is the light of your goal shining across the waters of seemingly impossible circumstances. Yes, there will be some challenges ahead, but you can handle them. Your self-confidence is more important than what others think. Now that you're familiar with this feeling, write an unforgettable song about it or commit it to muscle memory. Your biggest gain will be recognizing a principle that always applies.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Take your time

Do what you feel is right. Get what you want out of life.
Now, on the other hand, I know several very skilled people without jobs, seems companies do not want someone who has the skills at a cost, easier to spend money on a less skilled person that might make mistakes rather than spend money upfront.
5 years is not really that long. I was just thinking yesterday, how this year is half over.
Take your time, talk it over, write everything down on paper, then talk it over some more. Then follow your heart. Best of luck.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Don't take money from your 401(k)! As a licensed financial advisor, I can assure you that is the last thing you want to do! Instead, start looking for a job from home (Internet, newspaper, networking), interview on your vacation days, and have something lined up before you make the move. That way you keep your 401(k) intact, so you can eventually stop working and still be able to maintain that ocean view out of your window when you are no longer able to work! Before you even consider withdrawing from your 401(k), I would suggest sitting down with a financial advisor and have him run some numbers of what your 401(k) account will look like in 20 years if you leave it alone. The number will be large enough to make you think twice or three times before even considering it! ;)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Congratulations On The Anniversary.....

Frankly, I don't see how you (or anybody else) did/does it. I have to admire the tenacity, for sure. I, unfortunately, became discontent at staying any one place too long without being overcome with the "life is too short" or "I'm wasting my time here" concept and the nagging desire to want to see what's on the other side of the hill, etc. I discovered early on it was all just the same. I'll drop dead at some job at some nuclear plant some day, but that'll be fine. All I can hope for is to cut a real green loud one the minute I drop.

I know a number of people who have just retired. One says he got a new career driving a delivery truck for a florist delivering flowers and says he has a blast. Another works at a marina selling beer, ice and minnows and has a blast. Another one says he sells fireworks during the holiday seasons and he has a blast.....anyway there is a lot out there. And when you turn sixty something and start Social Security, that'll add to the $$$ too. Last I heard S.S. will be good 'til 2030. I don't know for sure. Congrats. again, CF?

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill

I plan on taking my time. Thats why my goal is set for a year. Odds are, I will have to take a paycut, but thats just the price I pay to live where I want.

Jeff, I hear ya bro. I have two loans out now, that are eating my lunch. Kids in college can get expensive.

CF? The big GREEN one? LOL

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Money ain't everything, but it sure helps! ;) You'll find that it is much cheaper to live near the coast, so you don't have to make as much money, but try to keep your 401(k) intact. That's your paycheck when you retire and want to be chest deep in the surf everyday!

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Yeah bro, don't touch the 401. Two things I don't gamble on and that is my home equity and my IRA/401k. Hopefully soon I can contribute alot more. I am thinking of combining them and picking my own funds/stocks. Hmmm... I wonder what a licensed financial advisor would say to that?

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drew

"I wonder what a licensed financial advisor would say to that?"

I wouldnt pick one that says

"Money isnt everything";)

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
A licensed financial advisor would tell you that once you combine them, you can never roll it back into another 401(k). Also, depending on what type of IRA you have, you might have to pay taxes on your 401(k) if you convert it. The best bet is to roll your 401(k) into a Rollover IRA, keeping it separate from your current IRA. It will remain pre-tax money and you'll just have two IRA accounts. DO NOT contribute any new money to the Rollover IRA, or you can't roll it back into a 401(k) plan in the future if you decide you want to. Find you a good mutual fund company or broker, and invest your accounts in their funds, based on your investment risk assessment. I would be more than happy to help answer any questions you might have by PM or email. Also, you've got my #.

Ask any retired person if they would've done anything different, and 95% of them will say they wish they started saving sooner and saved more $.

Angler2407 said:
Yeah bro, don't touch the 401. Two things I don't gamble on and that is my home equity and my IRA/401k. Hopefully soon I can contribute alot more. I am thinking of combining them and picking my own funds/stocks. Hmmm... I wonder what a licensed financial advisor would say to that?

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Resume help.

LOL> I love TTMB!

Ive never had to do a resume before. But I need one now. Can anyone post a link or site that can help me through one?

WooHOOO!

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Do a search for "resume help" on Yahoo, Google, etc. You will have a thousand sites come up! Look at several of them, and draw the best ideas from each. Most of the larger job boards (Monster, Excite Jobs, Yahoo Jobs, etc) have good résumé writing tips. Microsoft Word has several résumé templates you can enter info into and it will build your résumé for you.

Here's a site for you to start with:

http://resume.monster.com/

So, what's the deal with the goat? I think I remember you telling me something about the goat at the beach, but I could be wrong! :D

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jeff

Ill do that. Ive allready got somewhat of an offer, and Im pretty excited about it.

I havent told the story yet. I dont think. About a month ago, I raced at this track in Sante Fe. The track is in this guys lot. I think he has about 30 acres. Its kinda in the country. Has a stock pond behind the drivers stand. Anyway, the owner is alot like us. His neighbor had this goat that kept coming into his yard and eating his grass. So one day, he calls his neighbor and askes..

"Hey man. Can I shoot your goat"?

The neighbor replies, "Go ahead" He wasnt sure to belive him, so he asked to talk to his wife. She says, go ahead and shoot him. Still not sure, he puts his wife on the phone, to talk to the neighbors wife, still the same thing. Go ahead, shoot him.

So he walks outside with his 12 gauge, and shoots the goat. That was on a thursday, Saturday was race day, so they BBQed the goat for the racers. I guess its one of those things, you would have to been there to get it, but I think they are having T-Shirts and stickers made of that goat. Were were laughing so hard when we heard the story, I allmost cried.

I guess you would have to know the guy who shot the goat. It doesnt sound funny here. Youd of had to of been there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Resume

Resume Writing Howdy,heres a link to resume writing hope it helps.Its strange to puy one of these together after a few decades with the same job!I know.Take your time and hopefully you will find what is best for you.Good luck.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
finseeker

Howdy back. Thanks for the link. I saved it to my favorites. I have mixed emotions right now. LOL. Understatement if there was ever one. Im gonna give this a shot. The money is comparable. Im talking too much. LOL

Ive got alot of thinking to do.

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
gary, i want to congratulate you on your 20 years! i think its something to be very proud of, and dont understand why you didnt receive any recognition for it. however, your family here appreciates you and your "stickwithitness!" (im SURE that is a word, cause my daddy taught it to me, right LOL) i have to agree with everyone else about the 401K and IRA. other than that, like bill said, take it kinda slow, think it through, and then follow your heart! if you start questioning yourself, or getting confused, just come here. we will have ALL kinds of oppinions for you, you know that. :rotfl:

trudy

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trudy

allicat said:
gary, i want to congratulate you on your 20 years! i think its something to be very proud of, and dont understand why you didnt receive any recognition for it. however, your family here appreciates you and your "stickwithitness!" (im SURE that is a word, cause my daddy taught it to me, right LOL) i have to agree with everyone else about the 401K and IRA. other than that, like bill said, take it kinda slow, think it through, and then follow your heart! if you start questioning yourself, or getting confused, just come here. we will have ALL kinds of oppinions for you, you know that. :rotfl:

trudy
Thank you very much. I do get recognition from my boss. He is very cool. But from his boss on up, thats another story. Tomarrow, Ill have to tell my boss that Im checking the market. That wont be easy.

I set my goal of 20 years, and I made it.

Quality. Customer satisfaction. Quality. Internal customer satisfaction. Quality. Doing it right the first time. Cost of non conformance. Employee empowerment. Team work. Quality. Creative problem solving. Evaluation matrixes. Statisical Process Control. Motivation. Quality.

Ten years ago, I taught these things.

Call me old school, but I still belive the American worker, works more hours, is more dedicated and cares more about the end user than anyother worker in the world. Is smarter too.

"90% of all quality defects on the shop floor, is not the fault of the hourly worker, but of upper management"

W. Edwards Demming

http://www.lii.net/deming.html

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm. No.

Aint like that Jeff. Itll only be between him and I. Like I said, were pretty tight. And what I do, Im the only one in the world that does it. Well, they could bring back a couple of guys from the layoff, but I still would have to train them. Im not bitter with my company, and I wont do anything to hurt the company. If Im shopping around, Ill be honest and give them time to replace me. On the sly.

Unlike Tyson, I dont throw punches after the bell.

·
Registered
798 Posts
In the new corporate order, being a long term dedicated employee doesn't mean anything. I have been with the same company for thirty three years. On my thirty years anniversery, I walked into my office and found a clock in my chair. Nothing else. Yet they want me to stay on and train new hires. If I didn't love my work, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts